• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    I'm younger but have been dealing with lower back pain for years. Usually I can deal with it. I purposely don't take ibuprofen or anything else so it will be effective when I really need it. Well, 2600 mg later it's still unbearable. The chiropractor does great work. Within the first month or 2 I was able to move relatively pain free with stretching and regular visits. This is the worst it has hurt since I started going.

My question, what does every one do for quick relieve? I'm thinking of asking my good friend Johnny or macallan for some help.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    I lie flat on the floor. Bring your knees up as close to your chest as you can and hold/pull with your arms. The idea is to slowly stretch the muscles in your back. My grandpa had me try it when I was half crippled with pain.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    That's one of the stretches my chiropractor has me do in the morning. ... I'm terrible about stretching. I did try earlier but maybe it'll help now. I just did 2 cycles on the tens machine I bought.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Don't do stupid stupid stuff. My wife and I have to remind each other regularly.

I was snow blowing the drive yesterday and she asked "should you be doing that?" I replied with a naughty wink, "well it's not going to blow itself."

Stretching and strength... and not doing stupid stuff. Have you evaluated how you carry your gun and if it is causing any problems?

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    Don't do stupid stupid stuff. My wife and I have to remind each other regularly.

I was snow blowing the drive yesterday and she asked "should you be doing that?" I replied with a naughty wink, "well it's not going to blow itself."

Stretching and strength... and not doing stupid stuff. Have you evaluated how you carry your gun and if it is causing any problems?

I've been in ch****o all week end so no gun. I did shovel the sidewalk in one of our apartment buildings but I don't think I pushed it that hard.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Ice, stretching, traction table, not doing dumb stuff. But if it's unbearable, different pain than usual or you've never been diagnosed. Then I suggest going to the Dr. Probably gonna need MRI. I can manage mine, but when I screw up and Herniate one then I have to get an injection.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    I lie flat on the floor. Bring your knees up as close to your chest as you can and hold/pull with your arms. The idea is to slowly stretch the muscles in your back. My grandpa had me try it when I was half crippled with pain.

My brother does that, but he does it in front of the sofa, he lays on the floor and slides his butt up to the front of the sofa and puts his knees to his feet on the sofa where you sit. he says it takes the load off your back.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Remember the ibuprofen is not just for the pain but to assist with swelling, so don't avoid it just because you're tough. Use it as a tool, along with ice and stretching. If really bad a real doctor can prescribe muscle relaxers that can help too. Like all things, life is a balance and there is no magic pill. Good luck finding a long term solution.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    I had a stress fracture in my lower back that never got better. I will keep that in mind. The f.i.l. suggested 1 tylenol 1 aleve every morning, but usually as long as im moving I hardly notice until I stop

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    Currently on the floor stretching, couldn't even yell at Tom Brady properly. Sounds like this is about it for relief. I read hoping for some old timey cute hsha

trimman83

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    Warren Park
    You asked what we do for quick relief. I'm 53. Several years ago I did nothing more than pick a ladder up that was already standing on it's side. A month or two later, I raised my leg to dry it off after a shower. Both instances put me in bed for almost a week with hot/cold treatment. If I needed to go to the bathroom, I crawled. It scared the heck out of me and I thought I was doomed for life. But, finally, all returned to normal. In my case, I was advised, by Dr, to keep moving and I would get over it. I knew both times that something had gone wrong, but the real pain came later.

To make a short story long. I found that Tramadol worked as the drug to help the pain but it came after a Dr visit 5-10 days later, when Doc could see me. By then the pain was better anyway. I asked my Doc to prescribe the Tramadol(She selected the Rx not me) so I could deploy it right when I knew an ill motion triggered what would be terrible pain in a few hours. I filled a prescription in August for 20. I still have 12 left(Not for sale or trade) I have been able to head off at least a couple events thru their use. The relief of pain lets me keep going. That, in turn, helps the muscles.

I saw that you also have pain from a past fracture and I think that may put you in another class of care. But, if it is muscle pain you are wanting to care for, that might be the answer. I think Tramadol is a low form, non-addictive, prescribed pain reliever, but you will have to ask the pros that.

MarkC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    Stretch and do abs. And if you have a gut try to lose it.

I’m 0-3 in following my advice

^^^^^ What the good doctor says. Losing a few pounds and consistently going to the gym (stretches, and abs there), have done wonders for me. Fortunately, the wife is my workout partner, so I have a motivation to go and someone to keep me honest. I still need Tylenol occasionally, but don't suffer the debilitating episodes I used to have.

ETA: When I read this after I posted, I realized that it sounded glib and like it was oh, that easy. It's not, and I am disappointed with myself that I waited so long to make these lifestyle changes. But, having suffered for a long, long time, I get how bad it is to suffer this.

Jeepfanatic

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2018
    Plainfield
    When I was around 20 I screwed my back up sleeping on an improperly filled water tube bed. I would sleep on my side and get caught in between the tubes. In the middle of the night my top leg would roll over and my knee would touch the mattress while still laying on my side. This caused extreme pain one day to the point where if I bent over I needed help standing back up.

After a lot of chiropractor visits he was able to get back into alignment and said stretching along with core exercises was the only way to prevent it from happening again. I can tell when I have stopped doing this because the back pain and sensitivity will return.

The stretch that has helped me the most was of my own design. I will lay on my back on the floor and then put both hands with my palms down underneath each butt cheek. I will then let the pressure force my back and hip muscles to elongate.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    I'm really trying to avoid any type of pain killer, but I think if the doc thinks it's appropriate I'll consider it. Idk that that'd be the case though. I have put on a little bit of a gut since I stopped working out. Maybe 15 look lbs. Has anyone tried yoga. The wife seems to think that's the answer.

Top Bottom