• boosteds13cc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    Lowell
    Heat works great to loosen you up
    Cold reduces swelling

Core exercises help strengthen but if there is pain something has to be causing it. Try putting a tennis ball in the area that hurts and lean onto it while standing against a wall.

GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy
    Go see a massage therapist, along with your chiropractor. Mine work out of the same office. I'm due to see both again.

Jt22453

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2018
    Greenwood
    I have heard from a couple people I know that have terrible back pain that the inversion therapy works. I’ve always been somewhat sceptical of stuff like that but I have seen results with my own eyes after they used it.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    I have heard from a couple people I know that have terrible back pain that the inversion therapy works. I’ve always been somewhat sceptical of stuff like that but I have seen results with my own eyes after they used it.

The upside down decompression?

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I have 5 or 6 stretches that I think are yoga based that I do daily. If I don't do them for a couple of days, I end up in agony. Another thing that helps for me when I take the time, is a regular walking routine. I have been checked out by an Ortho a couple of times. I normally have a couple of bulges in the lumbar area. They also said I have arthritis in there. You may want to get it checked out so you know what you are dealing with.

Jt22453

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2018
    Greenwood
    The upside down decompression?
    Yep, have a buddy that is a contractor and when he is locked up he straps himself in for 5 minutes or however long and says he feels a lot better after. He definitely seems like he has more freedom of movement. I’m still a skeptic but if really works or if it makes him think it works, does it really matter? Bottom line, he feels better!

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    I used to grab onto a pull up bar or something similar and just relax and hang for as long as needed. It felt great but then my shoulder got messed up and I haven't been able to hang since. Maybe an inverter would be nice.

Jt22453

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2018
    Greenwood
    Hope you find something that relieves it or at least tapers it some. I know when mine acts up sometimes I can hardly move at all.

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    I'd recommend that you see a doctor ASAP, and not do any exercises (or similar) until you do. If you have a bulging disc, or another type of mechanical failure, you could hurt yourself badly by doing any additional activity. If he says "go get an MRI", then do so. A problem in your lower back can generally only be diagnosed properly with an MRI ..... even if all it does is eliminate a myriad of potential conditions. :)

indygunguy

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    110   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    NE Side of Indy
    I never thought yoga would be something I would consider.. Haha but I keep hearing it works.

I hate regular yoga. But I absolutely love hot yoga. I've never been as strong, limber, and pain free as when I'm doing hot yoga a few times a week. There really is something to the combination of the 105+ degree room and the different poses and stretches the instructors take you through. Your whole body get worked out and stretched.

I work down the street from The Hot Room in downtown Indy. I like the people down there because they are friendly, supportive, and really great with beginners.

Like everyone else has said... see a doctor first, but then start doing regular yoga. I pretty much guarantee you'll feel better.

If you have specific hot yoga questions, let me know. I'm kind of a beginner myself, but I'm happy to help however I can.

bacon#1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 3, 2014
    Outside The Matrix
    This has come up alot in the past month. I wonder if cold weather makes it more frequent. Anyway go see the doc first. Then try this.

See the fat almost 300 pound guy in the pic, that's me. When my back would go it would be a minimum of 6 weeks. I could not lay down. I slept in a recliner. While awake I would sit in one of those sweet plastic lawn chairs. If I lied down flat it would take a whole bunch of pain pills and muscle relaxers just to dull the pain enough so I wouldn't **** myself getting up. I won't even get into the time I had my wife call an ambulance to get me out of bed.

w7bf8.jpg

Once you are cleared for exercise do some of these.

wrg6rk.jpg

If you get serious about it take it further and do some core strengthening.

o76blx.jpg

If you're really really serious about it, drop some lbs.

8zpjdz.jpg

Its a life change. I go out to lunches and dinners all the time and would love to shove all that wonder fatty, greasy, carb load wonderfulness in my mouth. But I dont. Now when my back goes out, it's a couple of days and doesn't slow me down. The pain I experience is a 1-2, not a 8-10. It's been a long and challenging road but being in shape and able to keep up with life is worth it.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    I've been waiting for my shoulder to heal enough to start working out again. I suppose I should start with cardio. The more I think about it, I'm starting to think the wife was right when she suggested I go to the doctor long long ago...
    Btw, great job, the progress with the weight is astounding.

Last edited:

63PGP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2018
    Boone
    Go to one of the Spine groups in Indy. Goodman Spine, Indiana Spine Group, Indiana Spine Hospital, etc. You need to figure out exactly what the issue is. There are things a Chiro can help with and there are things that they can't. I've had experience with both of the first two due to my mom and stenosis.

2002-2003 I had lower back issues. Went to Mangas Chiropractic on Rockville Rd. They did an xray on the first appointment and he showed me that one hip was higher than the other. He then preceded to ask me if I ever fell in a specific manner. He described to the T a fall I took skiing a year before. After several months of adjustments all was better.

Point is you have to know exactly what the issue is before you can decide how to treat it.

Mike

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    The first time I went to an orthopedic about my back, he poked me in the belly and said "what do you expect with that hanging out for all the world to see, pulling on your back all day long"...

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    The first time I went to an orthopedic about my back, he poked me in the belly and said "what do you expect with that hanging out for all the world to see, pulling on your back all day long"...

:rofl: that's one way to get your attention.

Top Bottom