• ...and so much more!
  • parsimonious

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    SE IN
    Post resurrection!

I'm a little slow, so it just dawned on me that a pump with changeable chokes
    and a 3.5 chamber will cycle any ammo you find. [proper gauge of course]
    The automags don't tend to cycle the smaller shells, from what I understand.

So my conclusion is to have both pump and auto, maybe an automag too.
    I just have a hard time buying a shotgun that limits my ammo choices to
    the high dollar varieties. Cheap blasting ammo is fun. I like fun.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    FWIW I bought my fave 1100 mag unfired from an estate, was an early 80's fixed choke model. I shot the crap out of it for 10 years, trap, doves, geese.

Had the original O ring and it looked fine.

Have had close to a dozen other 1100's and have only changed the O ring on one, as the whole gun was rather rough when i got it. Still usable, but figured I'd not chance it. To be fair, most of my 1100's were sold after 5 or so years of use. But I used them, they were used when i got them, and I've NEVER had an O ring failure.

Patriot3

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Kokomo
    I have had both and now all i have is a pump, the pump action will feed any amount of ammo or any kind. If you have it for home defense a burglar will think twice about coming in the room if he hears the pump of a shotgun, and if it doesnt you only need one shot to take him out

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Are you going to be doing tactical entry? No? Then personally, I see no point in spending the extra money. When you could take that extra money and get some training. Knowing how to properly use your equipment is just as important as what equipment you buy.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Some guys prefer pump actions, I personally prefer semi-autos. I have 2 Remington 11-87s (semi-auto) that I use for hunting. One is my field gun (for dove, pheasant, turkey), the other I have set up for deer. Both are great guns, very reliable. I have never had a jam or mis-feed with either one.

I liked my hunting shotguns so much that I purchased a Remington 11-87 police model. It has a 7-round magazine (using 2 3/4-inch). It also has a sure-fire fore-end (surefire flashlight molded into the stock). I keep in the closet in my Bedroom, 7 rounds of 00 buckshot.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    I only kept one pump, a mavrick I keep in the truck, sold all the other pumps, I have 4 auto, saiga 12, two benelli m1 super 90, Beretta 1201 do. Why would I need a pump

manwithnoname

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2012
    For HD, I choose to stick with the pump instead of relying on the auto to function flawlessly in a critical situation.

BoilerWes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    Pendleton
    I see people on Internet forums talking about the "intimidating factor" of hearing a pump shot gun being racked. My question, in a self defense/home defense scenario, why is the gun not ready to fire as is? If someone is lucky enough to hear a "rack rack" in my house it will be because the initial blast did not completely incapacitate them. JMO.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    I see people on Internet forums talking about the "intimidating factor" of hearing a pump shot gun being racked. My question, in a self defense/home defense scenario, why is the gun not ready to fire as is? If someone is lucky enough to hear a "rack rack" in my house it will be because the initial blast did not completely incapacitate them. JMO.

I keep my Mossberg racked on an empty chamber. I currently do not have kids and will have to rethink my strategy when we are blessed with them. The reason for this is that you have three things for make the Mossberg go. One, to rack the pump to chamber the round you need to hold the little pump release. Then rack, then flip the safety off. This is one step more for someone not familiar with the gun to go through before it is ready for action. It doesn't take me or the wife any longer, but is a little piece of mind.

I am of the rack is not a bad idea camp. There are a number of times when someone known and not actually breaking in got shot. This is a failure of identifying target before shooting, but I like the little warning. Our bedroom is a good defensible position with multiple walls to shoot through before rounds would hit us. It has a choke pattern to get into the bedroom. If they keep coming after the rack, It would be hard to miss them.

When we have kids, I will be heading out with a flashlight and Glock, instead of a shotgun, because I know that it is much easier to get the shotgun away from me in corners and hallways. I also then have the option of grabbing kids with one hand as the other still holds the pistol. The Glock doesn't need any racking.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN

I keep the chamber empty on the shotgun, but my .45 is chambered, cocked and locked. If I don't have time to cycle the action on the shotgun, the .45 is ready and always within reach during the night.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    IndyJoe I hear what you are saying.

If you are comfortable keeping a round chambered in the Glock, why not have a chambered round in your shot gun?

Because my first reaction to a threat will be Glock, flashlight, electronic ears, then investigate. The shotgun is a backup for barricade situations. It is also secured a little better than the hidden shotgun.

I don't like the idea of shotgun for investigation/house clearing, as there it too much leverage on the 18.5" barrel to someone I didn't see. Hard to open doors while manipulating shotgun one handed, etc.

HARVEYtheDAMNED

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 8, 2011
    I would choose a pump for only one reason; cost.

I currently own one semi shotgun, it was a gift from my fiances father. It's a winchester 1400. Not a bad gun, I'm currently using it for HD, although it's much more of a hunting gun than anything. When I do purchase a new HD shotgun to replace it, it will be a pump. My budget will only be 300 dollars, and for that price I could either buy a brand new Maverick 88 and a decent amount of ammo, or maybe a used semi and no ammo.

If I had more money, I would probably go Semi, but for financial reasons I will own a pump shotgun.

Top Bottom