• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JFrost

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    Plainfield
    A semi-auto shotgun, can shoot all 7 rounds, before the first shell can hit the ground

I went to the FNS match at MCFG (my first steel match, tons of fun. Turns out I'm really bad by the way.) There was a guy in another group shooting a semi-auto shotgun of some sort. He was fast, really fast. I have no idea what his times where but he was hitting six targets in half the time I was with a pistol. (I think my best time was around 8 seconds.)

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    Pump shotguns are easier to field strip, clean, clear jams, eat all types of ammo, work in all types of weather, swing better, easier to hit your target at all ranges, make a wicked sound when racked, and just look plain nasty. Semi-autos are only for Georgia quail hunters.

Georgia quail hunters only use Parker 16 ga SXSs.

I use semi auto exclusively. My have been proven with literally 1000s of rounds a without any failures. I currently shoot an 1100 and a Benelli 121M. No matter the skill level of the pump operator the will not equal the speed the semi auto action offers, even tromboning a pump like the Model 12. My shotguns do serve as a bedroom defensive firearm however I use them for competition as well. It is not unusual for me to run 5 pepper poppers well under 3 seconds, often close to 2 seconds when using my 121m which is ported...a pump cannot compete.

As for racking the pump to scare off Bad Guys...all you have done is to announce where you are, the fact you are armed and therefore someone to be shot at the first opportunity.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I can say this. While I was in the Coast Guard the shotgun course of fire was actualy the hardest course of fire. We carried 870's for unit shotguns. I never once saw anyone short stroke or ever saw one malfunction. Do you really need to spend more money on a semi-auto shotgun, no. It that's what you choose, by all means buy one. Just remember that anything mechanical can fail. Also remember that the brain matter behind the trigger is of more importance.

JFrost

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    Plainfield
    I went to the FNS match at MCFG (my first steel match, tons of fun. Turns out I'm really bad by the way.) There was a guy in another group shooting a semi-auto shotgun of some sort. He was fast, really fast. I have no idea what his times where but he was hitting six targets in half the time I was with a pistol. (I think my best time was around 8 seconds.)

Just got the scores. The fastest time was 2.15 with a PCR (it was a 9mm AR...with a silencer); the shotgun was 2.80 seconds.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    Just got the scores. The fastest time was 2.15 with a PCR (it was a 9mm AR...with a silencer); the shotgun was 2.80 seconds.

Kinda slow, depending on the size of the targets of course. Against 5 pepper poppers I was recently reminded I could run them in under 2 seconds...of course I was shooting more in those days. On a recent Son's of Guns Jerry Miculek dumped 10 rounds on target out of a suppressed semi-auto AK in 1.5 seconds.

It is just a matter of practice. But there is no way a pump shotgun can be cycled fast enough by a human to match the rate of fire possible with a semi-auto.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    The pump shotgun can score very high at FNS. If you don't miss, the shotgun tends to knock things down with one shot and will easily ring the bell on larger plates.

http://www.indyrange.org/media/FNS_Results_2008-09-12.pdf

The three shotguns used that night were all 870's the other two shooters were freinds of mine and novice so to speak and cut their times in half shortly after this shoot.

I think I ran a Benelli M2 that was not even my gun at this event and Ron used an M4?
    http://www.indyrange.org/media/FNS_Results_2008-10-10.pdf

Here I used an 1100 with a reduced capacity of 3+1 and no side saddle so there were a ton of reloads involved.
    http://www.indyrange.org/media/FNS_Results_2010-08-13.pdf

A pump with 6+1 and a side saddle is the minimum you want for HD but frankly is more than enough too.

Last edited:

Titanium Man

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    Indy---USA
    Autos require a bit more maintenance than pumps.

As time goes by, the O-rings for gas pressure, need replacing.
    Not a big deal, but to some it might be a hassle.

Losing the sight picture thing, well I think you lose your sight picture with either gun. I've never found a 12 or a 20 gauge shotgun that didn't recoil, thus losing your sight picture.

Some auto shotguns just don't cycle some shells like others, and sometimes they have trouble cycling smoothly like they are suppose to anytime.

I've never failed to be able to cycle a shell through a pump.

I've got plenty of examples of either shotgun, and I think it boils down to what you're comfortable with. There are lots of choices, so do your homework so when you make your decision, it'll be one you'll be happy with. :)

cdscds

Plinker
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Sep 13, 2011
    For home defense get a tacticool 870 Remington.... Hopefully u never have to use it, if u do though it'll do the job. It's also dose efficient and they look pretty bad *ss

KLL

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    A pump shotgun racking in the middle of the night is one of the most recognizable sounds in the world, and if the sound dosent scare away the fool, use it because it is reliable.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I don't think I'll ever get rid of my 870 because I always know that it's going to work and secondly lets face it, if you buy one new for $300 you'd be lucky to get $200 for it. There's so many out there that trying to resell a used one is tough when the new ones can be had for such a bargain.

Having said that, I definately think there's room for a good semi auto and especially if you like the idea of one that has less recoil. Some time this week I'm going to go to Dicks and buy a new 11-87 for $500 (after rebate) because I'd like to get into clay pigeons, and I've always wanted one.

opus1776

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    I went to the FNS match at MCFG (my first steel match, tons of fun. Turns out I'm really bad by the way.) There was a guy in another group shooting a semi-auto shotgun of some sort. He was fast, really fast. I have no idea what his times where but he was hitting six targets in half the time I was with a pistol.

:wavey: Tis me :) I am trying to get good enough so I can Zoub it! :laugh:

======================================
    "Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels" K. Moss

You can NEVER be too rich or too thin.

Life is not a journey, but a series of unplanned detours...

Perfection: is not a goal---it's a demanded expectation.

Last edited:

opus1776

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Zoub,

The FNS last Friday was the best I have ever done. I finished the night with a score under 50 seconds for 5 stages. I think that my longest time for the night was about 4.3 seconds because I had to pick up an extra shot on that string (helps to make sure that the front sight is on target BEFORE pulling the trigger). :)

======================================
    "Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels" K. Moss

You can NEVER be too rich or too thin.

Life is not a journey, but a series of unplanned detours...

Perfection: is not a goal---it's a demanded expectation.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Tell me it was not the first shot you missed? I bet it was. You got so comfortable and in a zone you totally dropped your brain functions and missed the first shot.

Yup, that is what you did. I am sure of it. Damn I wish I could have been there for that. My razing would have been relentless and it would have been fun too! :rockwoot:

Top Bottom