• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    In my experience with defense shotguns, I've seen a lot more short stroking of pumps under stress than I have failures of semi-autos. I trained with and carried the M590/M870 for a few years as an USMC 8152, for whatever that's worth.

Based on that experience, I'd opt for semi-auto.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    It depends on who the shooter is and what the shotgun will be used for.

I am 48 next week, I started with a pump shotgun in 1968, I do fine with them, even under extreme pressure. With a pump shotgun in my hands I can surely change the course of history. (Key point is I believe that, see Bruce Lee shotgun training video)

I am also not saying a shotgun of any kind is my first choice, last choice or in between.

BUT

If things happen to go wrong the people in my family who would save me would be doing it with a semi auto. It may be handgun, PCR, AR, Ak or a shotgun but it will be semi auto. Reason being, why teach them to use a pump when all the other guns they use are semi? If you think a quality, clean, well kept semi auto shotgun is not reliable and ready for HD use WTH?

As for the gun, if you own it, then own ammo it can reliably run on. In my case all my shotgun ammo is reliable in my semi autos, that means it will also run in my pumps, O/U's or SxS guns. No crap ammo in the house, not ever.

Semi auto requires less dexterity, muscle strength and coordination to operate. That means the new shooter can focus more on skills and making hits when practicing, not on operating the gun itself. It is easier to shoot a semi auto shotgun. It is also easier for people with physical limitations like old or new injuries in the arms or hands.

If they have to empty a shotgun and are that far into "the program" then it is time to drop the thing and get a handgun or carbine.

Yes, you can talk about SHTF, being able to use any ammo, dirty guns, various circumstances and environments that cause failure but if you know all that crap, then you already KNOW shotguns.

If you have to ask, semi auto is probably the best, just not the cheapest.

Great advice. :yesway:

As a case in point, a couple of months ago I was in a shotgun match. The divisions were pump, auto and Saiga. I was in the Saiga division. My Saiga was new to me and I had literally got it converted three days before the match. I came in third under one guy who shot a pump and one who shot a semi (1187 or 1100, I think). Probably less than a second separated us, but it showed me a couple of things. It's really not the weapon itself, its the guy operating it and how much time he's got on it and the skills he's developed with it. BUT, on the other hand, having a platform that is more straightforward to operate (like a drop mag shotgun) puts one further ahead in the learning curve in less time. General shooting ability transfers from platform to platform. It's the operational skills that have to be worked on and developed.

I'm still working on my skill with the Saiga.

Having said all of that, I don't know why I still shoot revolvers in competition:laugh:

Taylorz71

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    Central IN
    I'm sorry but I'm seeing some statements that I just cant go along with,

Reliablilty is double edged, Pump vs. auto. With standard factory rounds it may be a wash, Here's the thing, Anyone with a pump can tell you that every once in a while you will short shuck the thing, or because of the increased movement you may run into interference with your surroundings, Run an elbow into a wall or door frame and you will short shuck it. So the absolute reliabilty of a pump over the auto you have to factor in the operator, The Auto takes the operator out of the system. Auto's are better than they have ever been I can't agree with Pumps are more reliable. Now a premuim priced pump may be better than a 60 year old A5 knockoff but if you bought a Rem 1100/1187/versa vs a Rem 870 Tact or police I think your malfuctions will be so far and few between you will have to check ammo and other factors.

Shorter stocks on shotguns, Not really a reason to buy one over the other, You can find shortened stocks for auto's and folders for pumps, I can live without a folder.

I would find the Shotgun that you like and go with it if there was any advantage the Pump has is specialty munitions but really how many times do you need bird bombs

I agree and also you will have less felt recoil with an auto version. At least that has been my experience. So find one that you like and get the best that you can afford. If you can swing a good quality auto I don't think you will regret it. If you hunt at all this can be easier to justify :)

revsaxon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plano, TX
    Own both, shoot both. For field shooting ill go with the semi any day as it kicks less and if it jams up (which it does from time to time)no big deal. For HD ill stick with my 870. Simple to operate, very few moving parts to have go wrong, and if I want to change out the round type in it all I have to do is cycle the action once (mix the loads in the magazine). If I can't stop the intruder(s) in the 7 rounds it holds, odds are good im not getting out alive anyway.

Avoid the SPAS-12 though... that thing sucks hard core. Looks cool, but major issues when you start to use it.

FutureButterBar

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Don't Worry About It
    In this thread it was made clear that shotguns are not simple.
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/long_guns/166318-determining_shotgun_patterns.html

Which is pretty much confirmed by this link:
    Shotguns / Understanding Shotgun Shot Patterns

Benelli makes an auto shotgun for the military (this:Modern Firearms - Benelli M4 / M1014 ) and Mossberg makes a pump shotgun for them. (this: Modern Firearms - Mossberg 590 )

So it can be reasonably assumed that both are; tough as nails, reliable, fast, effective, and serve a useful purpose.

I have heard that Auto is more complicated (which I take to mean less reliable) therefore a Pump shotgun is better for home defense / SHTF / survival. When I looked at two (random) shotguns, one auto and one pump, they seemed very similar. The exploded view shows one less part for the auto vs. the pump. (this in no way guarantees it is less complicated)

http://www.okiegunsmithshop.com/Rem_11_48.jpg
    http://www.okiegunsmithshop.com/rem870.jpg

Is one more reliable then another? How many of you prefer one over the other? Why? Do you own both types, and if so, which would you grab for home defense? Why? Is one better for hunting then he other? (accuracy maybe?) What is the difference in maintenance, break down, and cleaning?

Please offer up any details, opinions, or thoughts. Thanks.

you must not be military, because then you'd know that it was cheap, fired cheap ammo, functioned 'well-enough' in garrison, but would probably break in the field

JFrost

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    Plainfield
    you must not be military, because then you'd know that it was cheap, fired cheap ammo, functioned 'well-enough' in garrison, but would probably break in the field

lol. I forgot about the 'lowest bidder' problem, I guess its not such a good example. Thanks for the replies, semi-auto it is. This came about from an add to sell a Remington 870 (on this site) that seemed to have everything in place for home defense. Having never fired anything but a 20 gauge break action I needed more info on what to start with.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    111   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    I have always had pumps, and still do. I enjoy shooting them and they function well for me. If somebody gave me a semi auto 12 gauge I would keep it but i'm not going to sell my pumps to go buy a semi auto.

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    I personally prefer pump action shotguns but semi-auto's are a little easier on your shoulder.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    I personally prefer pump action shotguns but semi-auto's are a little easier on your shoulder.

i guess you'all never shot a 11-48 recoil less?.......11 shot...added by me....fastest shootin' auto till 10 years ago......quit makin' them in 68...gas auto's would kick much less....

258pbpu.jpg

Deet

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    NWI
    Pump shotguns are easier to field strip, clean, clear jams, eat all types of ammo, work in all types of weather, swing better, easier to hit your target at all ranges, make a wicked sound when racked, and just look plain nasty. Semi-autos are only for Georgia quail hunters.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Pump shotguns are easier to field strip, clean, clear jams, eat all types of ammo, work in all types of weather, swing better, easier to hit your target at all ranges, make a wicked sound when racked, and just look plain nasty. Semi-autos are only for Georgia quail hunters.
    So much shotgun crap in one post.

How does O'reilly say it? The spin stops here. Do you believe all of that or did someone else tell you that stuff and you just regurgitate it?

Top Bottom