• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • buzz815

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Shelby cty
    I also hit the range on saturday. The range is a lot nicer than it used to be and is kept a lot cleaner. Nothing like the good old days of watching the locals drag propane tanks, tv's and everything else under the sun out onto the range for a target. A good concession area with a selection of items without a 300% markeup would be great. A membership wouldn't be bad......if members got lanes before daily use shooters. It would just suck if no one could be found to run the range and it was closed. We don't need to loose places to shoot.
    Memberships were never sold at the range. Annual passes were sold. I think it worked out that if you visited the range 8 times or more in the year you came out ahead. No special treatment was afforded the annual pass buyers.

den57

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Franklin, In
    I went down on Saturday and the word I got was that the new vendor was selected, but the contract is under review by the department of parks or something like that. The DNR guy up at the shotgun range was there and, as always, showed himself to be a nice guy and supporter of shooting sports. Buzz was on the line down at the pistol range, but I only got to chat for a couple of minutes.

There was a new DNR guy inside that did not impress me though. I felt like I was putting him out by asking for 3 pistol lanes for the 4 of us when the number of folks out there was fairly small. Then, he made a big deal out of who was going to be responsible for my 13 year old and who was going to let him shoot on their lane. My 13 year old has probably put 5K rounds downrange in the last year and is very competent and responsible. We've never been questioned like that in the past and it was embarrassing for him. The first guy up at the shotgun range seems to promote shooting sports with the youth, but the new guy at the pistol range seemed to treat them like a problem he did not want to deal with.

Other than that, it was a good day at the range despite the rain and we all got a bit more experience under our belts. Next time I'm down there, hopefully, I'll get a chance to talk with Buzz a bit more to see what's going on.

Buzz can jump in here if he feels the need to....

Concerning the contract of the new vendor. The range was built with funds from the Fed. Govt. Even though that money was sportsman tax dollars, the contract that the IDNR and the new vendor are working on has to be appoved by the Fed. Govt..

With the lighting fast operations of our Federal Government ;), they should have the contract reviewed shortly. :):

chickenman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 4, 2009
    Monroe County
    Buzz can jump in here if he feels the need to....

Concerning the contract of the new vendor. The range was built with funds from the Fed. Govt. Even though that money was sportsman tax dollars, the contract that the IDNR and the new vendor are working on has to be appoved by the Fed. Govt..

With the lighting fast operations of our Federal Government ;), they should have the contract reviewed shortly. :):

Thanks. Know that make sense to me because my father was in the Indiana National Guard intil 1988. When I took over to the range last year he was telling that where the range is located it was once all part of Atterbury. Clear up to or near Hwy 252.(I think??) Then Clinton came in the sometime in the Ninetys and he belives that when Atterbury was splint in half. So Federal Governemnt involved because it's still basicly still Govt. property.
    but i still believe there should be range fee. :twocents:

zky

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    I've only been to the range there a couple times, but I thought it was pretty decent. Sure hope they get the contract figured out and just open the thing so we can use it.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2009
    In a fog
    I just got home from Atterbury. They are interviewing today. The place was pretty busy, and I got there when it opened. Buzz was there and as soon as he is given the word, he will post any new info once the new concessioner takes over.
    It was a great day to shoot. :D

AJBB87

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 6, 2009
    Here
    I was there too, 'bout 1 o'clock. Awesome day for shooting, and I am excited to see how the new vendor is going to handle things.

AJB

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    I just hope that Buzz sticks around. Wouldn't be the same without him! :cheers:
    When I went we had a .22 rifle that was a pain to get a round chamberd (mag fed)... he saw we were having issues and came over and showed us the trick to doing it..... it was still a pain but we were getting more rounds in then before he said something. :)

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I'd love to see a bunch of the folks back working with the new vendor. But, Buzz is the heart and soul of the place. I've been down to Atterbury at least 60 times in the last year and cannot remember one single bad time. Even our last trip where the new DNR guy seemed a bit fussy with lane assignments was most likely his getting used to the place and my getting used to someone new there. It really is a top notch facility.

I'd love to see them add special hours for advanced skill practice like draw and fire or rapid fire. I'm thinking of like how at driving schools held at racetracks that give us normal folks a chance to run our cars on a racetrack. They have different groups that are given different rules and they don't run them together. To go from the beginning groups to the advanced groups takes experience and skill. It would be nice to see the new folks offer something like that by having a defensive handgun course and then allowing graduates a chance to shoot with fewer restrictions for a couple of hours on weekend mornings before the range is open to the general public.

Top Bottom