Ashley Madison web site hacked. Sorry cheaters...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Well, a Private "I" following a husband/wife, taking pics for proof of infidelity could be considered stalking.
    Should we then ban them?
    What's the difference between what the Private "I" and the hacker?

The hackers have not used the identities for identity theft, or purchasing. Only to expose the names.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Well, a Private "I" following a husband/wife, taking pics for proof of infidelity could be considered stalking.
    Should we then ban them?
    What's the difference between what the Private "I" and the hacker?

The hackers have not used the identities for identity theft, or purchasing. Only to expose the names.
    Seriously? You would think it was OK for your investigator to break into an office or residence too?

The hackers didn't watch what people were doing in public. They broke into privately owned servers and stole the information there. I guess if you happen to catch a virus and lose something on your computer, you deserve it for doing whatever it was that allowed you to contract it in the first place. Or if an antigun hacker hacks one of the gun sites you have purchased from, then you are just an evil gun owner and you deserve it too.

The lengths people go to rationalize things like this amazes me. Hackers are criminals. It isn't a gray area. These people are all victims, whether you agree with or approve of the way they choose to live their lives.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Seriously? You would think it was OK for your investigator to break into an office or residence too?

The hackers didn't watch what people were doing in public. They broke into privately owned servers and stole the information there. I guess if you happen to catch a virus and lose something on your computer, you deserve it for doing whatever it was that allowed you to contract it in the first place. Or if an antigun hacker hacks one of the gun sites you have purchased from, then you are just an evil gun owner and you deserve it too.

The lengths people go to rationalize things like this amazes me. Hackers are criminals. It isn't a gray area. These people are all victims, whether you agree with or approve of the way they choose to live their lives.

Yes, hackers are criminals.

And if a drug dealer gets killed, it's still a murder. And I still won't sympathize with the drug dealer.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Very well. I just think we hurt our own arguments when we passionately defend some things but are indifferent about others because we didn't agree with the unpopular activity. Reminds me of how the anti-gunners would be indifferent if a good guy with a gun got into an altercation with a criminal and was injured with his or her own weapon. We would be screaming hang the criminal while the anti-gunners would be indifferent. My example was extreme only to ensure it provoked some thought. Clearly it provoked the wrong thought.

I'm not talking of the posts that are simply expressing their displeasure with the activities connected with the incident, only the ones that are along the lines of not caring or expressing sentiments that the victims somehow deserved to have their info stolen/ransomed/exposed.

Your point contains a major flaw. Your example is that of a righteous citizen failing in the effort to stop a wrong-doer. That is much different than one wrong-doer being victimized by another wrong-doer, legal differentiation notwithstanding. I would argue that the only clean victims in this scenario are the nonparticipant spouses.

Once again, we see the failure to account for the difference between someone being victimized while doing something perfectly legal which does not harm anyone else (i.e., buying guns, ammunition, and accessories) and someone who IS harming someone by doing something wrong, legal implications notwithstanding, being subjected to an illegal act which is limited to illuminating their own wrong-doing. Once again, the only clean victim is the nonparticipant spouse.

And if a drug dealer gets killed, it's still a murder. And I still won't sympathize with the drug dealer.

:+1:

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland

What you and jkaetz are failing to understand here is that the rest of us recognize that hack is still a crime.
    The difference is that this particular hacking is not quite the same as a more seriously damaging hack, especially the recent huge hack of government employees' (including those serving in the military, clandestine services, and law enforcement) information is that the government hack was carried out for the purposes of causing widespread harm to not just the individuals, but to this country's national security.
    Other hacks, intended to drain bank accounts, steal identities, or otherwise harm people who were doing nothing either illegal or unethical also are more apt to garner support for the victims from bystanders, than a hack used against people who were engaging in something so despicable, something that harms not just the spouse, but the entire family.
    Yes, prosecute the hackers, if caught, who did both categories of hacks that I contrast here; but I'll be rooting for the Ashley Madison hackers to slip through the cracks, but not before they nail the creeps who used Ashley Madison to the wall, and when Ashley Madison itself has to slink out out town permanently, with a trail of slime following them the whole way.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County

Yet you equate them to private investigators looking for proof of infidelity.

Your point contains a major flaw. Your example is that of a righteous citizen failing in the effort to stop a wrong-doer. That is much different than one wrong-doer being victimized by another wrong-doer, legal differentiation notwithstanding. I would argue that the only clean victims in this scenario are the nonparticipant spouses.

Once again, we see the failure to account for the difference between someone being victimized while doing something perfectly legal which does not harm anyone else (i.e., buying guns, ammunition, and accessories) and someone who IS harming someone by doing something wrong, legal implications notwithstanding, being subjected to an illegal act which is limited to illuminating their own wrong-doing. Once again, the only clean victim is the nonparticipant spouse.

Neither of you have a clue what will happen with the information that was stolen. Sure a bunch of criminals won't try to use the financial information they stole, and I bet some guy in Africa wants your help in getting 25 million dollars too. Just send him a check.:rolleyes:

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Yet you equate them to private investigators looking for proof of infidelity.

Neither of you have a clue what will happen with the information that was stolen. Sure a bunch of criminals won't try to use the financial information they stole, and I bet some guy in Africa wants your help in getting 25 million dollars too. Just send him a check.:rolleyes:

I have a difficult time understanding our relative lack of sympathy for people who place themselves in the situation to experience the hack by misdeeds of their own which fall squarely in the realm of wrong-doing albeit legal in nature. If they kept their damned zippers up, they wouldn't have this problem. Cry me a f***ing river.

Grease

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 28, 2015
    Dirty south
    Well, what I have not seen mentioned yet is that the unsuspecting spouse will be victimized a second time by the hackers as I tend to think most couples have shared accounts when dealing with CC's and banks etc...

That and courts won't usually split the bills/assets until legal separation occurs.

at least I am not reading that it is "all those male pigs!" On the AM site, there are a ton of women there too I bet. Quite frankly, I can' tsar I have heard of this site but maybe 3 or 4 times. Guess it isn't my cup of tea.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I have a difficult time understanding our relative lack of sympathy for people who place themselves in the situation to experience the hack by misdeeds of their own which fall squarely in the realm of wrong-doing albeit legal in nature. If they kept their damned zippers up, they wouldn't have this problem. Cry me a f***ing river.
    You mean using the Internet? I'm sure these hackers are find upstanding moral people just looking to right the moral wrongs of that site.

And the users of the other sites run by the same company, well they deserve it for not making sure the sites they went to weren't affiliated with a site for cheaters. Right? Of course, you probably don't agree with their lifestyle choices either, so I imagine you probably do think that.

Magneto

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    New Albany
    AMlie_zpsvrkbmq8z.jpg

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    You mean using the Internet? I'm sure these hackers are find upstanding moral people just looking to right the moral wrongs of that site.

And the users of the other sites run by the same company, well they deserve it for not making sure the sites they went to weren't affiliated with a site for cheaters. Right? Of course, you probably don't agree with their lifestyle choices either, so I imagine you probably do think that.

You are being willfully obtuse. I have not heard any mention of other sites aside from your post. We keep coming back to the same point that had these people not been involved in doing wrong themselves, they would not have this problem. I am not exactly cheering for the hackers, but still, this, to my ear, is much like one criminal being killed by another more so than the sympathy I would feel if an uninvolved child were killed in the crossfire between two criminals shooting it out.

My conclusion for those on the receiving end of this hack: Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    For those too clueless to get it...
    We get it...hacking is wrong, even illegal.
    And, yes the perps, if caught, will be prosecuted.
    Now, do you honestly put this particular hack in the same category as someone breaking into your elderly neighbor's bank account and draining it?
    What part of that is so difficult to understand?

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Now, do you honestly put this particular hack in the same category as someone breaking into your elderly neighbor's bank account and draining it?

Quoted so that anyone who didn't get it the first time can read it again!

OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    It may take weeks, but this thread will eventually devolve into:

we should feel sorry for those who contract aids through blood transfusion.
    But "the gays" deserve it.

So I'll save us all some time and take the discussion there.

The victims of the hack don't deserve it. No one does. And criminal activity isn't part of karma or god's plan for salvation.
    Tempting as it is to see some sort of good/evil balancing act going on. It doesn't exist.

And to the forum member who's screen name I used when I created my Ashley Madison account, I am truly sorry for what is about to happen.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    The victims of the hack don't deserve it. No one does. And criminal activity isn't part of karma or god's plan for salvation.
    Tempting as it is to see some sort of good/evil balancing act going on. It doesn't exist.

I believe you are over-thinking this. It is more a matter of seeing a bit of amusement even in something we really don't condone happening to people who, through their own misdeeds, did much to bring the problem on themselves--hardly a turning point in the spiritual history of the universe, still criminal in nature, but still a bit amusing.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH

QFT

Message to Ashley Madison, et al: "Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall." Proverbs 16:18

Top Bottom