• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • .40caltrucker

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    I always wear a hat and probably would have been arrested also. I'm sure my hat looks prettier than my hair all messed up.

One thing I don't understand is how is it disrespectful to wear a hat in a court room, or any other building/house for that matter.

The only time I take my hat off is for our national anthem, and pledge of allegiance.

Andre46996

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Hammond
    Agree with you one this one. However how come the LEO (at the very end) who is WEARING a cap as well does not have to follow the same policy?

:dunno:

See Kirk's post...

Also judge's house judge's rules. You come into my house wearing a hat and I ask you to take it off and you don't the second time I ask you will be traveling through the air and landing hat first outside my front door.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia

You mean like a Sikh? Well, I have represented Sikhs before. No judge has made mention of the headgear.

I don't think any judge would go that far.

I thought you worked here in Marion County before? I've been before more than one that I wouldn't have been surprised if they went that far. Taylor Baker comes to mind. :D

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    ram, understand that everytime you walk into a courtroom there is a chance of going to jail. Contempt of court is a scary power.

I guess this story is a good reminder of that. I do my best to obey the laws, as often as I criticize them. I've never been taken to court. If I do, I won't make the mistake of believing that the judge is restricted to enforcing only laws on the books.

.40caltrucker

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Serious question or just pulling my chain?:D
    No dead serious question how is wearing a hat being disrespectful? I have never been in a court room, or sat through a court proceeding in my life so I honestly don't get this.

See Kirk's post...

Also judge's house judge's rules. You come into my house wearing a hat and I ask you to take it off and you don't the second time I ask you will be traveling through the air and landing hat first outside my front door.

Why would you ask someone to take their hat off entering your house? I could understand if it was flipping you off or had something inappropriate on it. But you would seriously hit someone for wearing a ball cap in your house?

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Yes, the judge enforces the laws on the books but the power of contempt allows him or her to maintain order in the courtroom and prevent people from insulting or disrupting his or her court.

PDog, that's a negative, ghostrider. I'll ask around though. Someone on Defendnet knows I'm sure.

Andre46996

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Hammond
    Why would you ask someone to take their hat off entering your house? I could understand if it was flipping you off or had something inappropriate on it. But you would seriously hit someone for wearing a ball cap in your house?
    If I asked you to remove it and you did not yes your physical well being maybe in jeopardy.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    You come into my house wearing a hat and I ask you to take it off and you don't the second time I ask you will be traveling through the air and landing hat first outside my front door.

I wouldn't hesitate to defend myself if you started attacking me then. After I landed from receiving your Hollywood super-punch, of course.

Andre46996

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Hammond
    I wouldn't hesitate to defend myself if you started attacking me then. After I landed from receiving your Hollywood super-punch, of course.

Yeah your on my property so you would be put out of your misery. I forgot you are the internet hero.. Why haven't you gone to any events? Your mom won't drive you or is it too hard to climb all those stairs out of her basement?

Archaic_Entity

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008

I thought everyone realized how insulting this was? Are you from somewhere else by chance? The South? (Although I would think Southerners would know this). Maybe it is cultural.

Yes, wearing your hat inside is rude, crude and will get a judge in the mood and not the mood you want him to be in.:D

Most judges will ask people to remove their hats and are patient about it.

Usually cops get more slack if they have a reason. One of those court discretion calls.

Looks like that kid had just come from outside (maybe to help with transport?). However, if court was in session and the kid was staying, yes, the bailiff should have reminded the officer to remove his hat.

ram, understand that everytime you walk into a courtroom there is a chance of going to jail. Contempt of court is a scary power.

I don't carry into my county courthouse because of a $50 fine. I don't carry because a judge ordered me (us) not to carry inside the courthouse. Time, manner, place and contempt of court.:D

You mean like a Sikh? Well, I have represented Sikhs before. No judge has made mention of the headgear.

I don't think any judge would go that far.

Us Southern boys know better than to keep our hats on in court, thank you very much.

In general I won't wear a hat inside at all. The only times are when my hair would look worse, and I honestly don't like doing that. I know for a fact that my friends and I were all raised to take our hats off when coming inside.

As for why you're supposed to. It's a common courtesy that people have been following for hundreds of years. Cowboys did it. Gentlemen did it before them. The military has always had their men remove their covers inside. It's just plain rude to wear your hat indoors, and that's that.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Yeah your on my property so you would be put out of your misery. I forgot you are the internet hero.. Why haven't you gone to any events? Your mom won't drive you or is it too hard to climb all those stairs out of her basement?

What events are you even talking about? Your court hearings?

Anyway, how is this :poop: news? I've known it's impolite to wear a hat indoors since I was 5...I've known that you can't wear a hat in a courtroom since probably 6th grade when my evil public school teacher told me so.

I never equated "impolite" with "illegal." Thanks for the story though.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    No dead serious question how is wearing a hat being disrespectful?

Combination of defiance, insult, lack of respect for legitimate authority and intentionally showing disrepect by refusal to adhere to custom usually reinforced with the universal "I don't care", I'll do what I want.

Do not parents teach this anymore? Is it generational?:dunno:

Surely not. I witnessed my brother slap my nephew's head after he walked through the door with a baseball cap on inside after being warned. Is it SES dependent? Cultural?

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    I never equated "impolite" with "illegal." Thanks for the story though.

I guess you missed the second sentence of my post that you quoted when I said nothing about it only being impolite to wear one in a courtroom.

I forgot, you only comprehend when it's convenient...Otherwise, it would be much tougher to push that agenda.

Top Bottom