Army 6.5 Trillion Dollar Accounting Gaffe? Holy Crap on a cracker!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    There are a lot of people in the Army who are really bad at their jobs. I am not surprised in the least.

Yeah, well consider that auditing for a company is usually done by a bookkeeper - who usually has SOME training, and auditing for a corporation is usually done by accountants who have accounting degrees, but auditing for an infantry company - or an aviation company - is generally done by a "property book officer" who has it as an extra duty and usually gets his training OJT. I was a temporary PBO for an Army Aviation Support Facility for a year and the sum total of my formal training was an online Supply Officer course and a one-week PBO course. There's plenty of room for error when you've got millions of dollars of equipment on your inventory and you don't really know what some of it is or how to identify it. The errors get magnified as they go up the command structure. Add in conflicting instructions/guidance for financial matters and things get hosed up quickly.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Yeah, well consider that auditing for a company is usually done by a bookkeeper - who usually has SOME training, and auditing for a corporation is usually done by accountants who have accounting degrees, but auditing for an infantry company - or an aviation company - is generally done by a "property book officer" who has it as an extra duty and usually gets his training OJT. I was a temporary PBO for an Army Aviation Support Facility for a year and the sum total of my formal training was an online Supply Officer course and a one-week PBO course. There's plenty of room for error when you've got millions of dollars of equipment on your inventory and you don't really know what some of it is or how to identify it. The errors get magnified as they go up the command structure. Add in conflicting instructions/guidance for financial matters and things get hosed up quickly.

This is very true. And in this regard it's easy to see that it is a systemic problem that those in charge have never bothered to address. This would have to fixed at the highest levels. And the highest levels probably don't want it fixed, for reasons ranging from laziness, not wanting to allocate the resources, or graft.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    RedMurph
    Top Bottom