Army 6.5 Trillion Dollar Accounting Gaffe? Holy Crap on a cracker!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bmbutch

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    Haven't seen this on INGO, and search turned up nothing, I'd not read about it until today. Linking story on CNN

Am I missing something here, isn't this pretty big (BAD) news? While it may not be actual "missing dollars", how does this many accounting goofs occur? How much money is being wasted, frick, I find it just disgusting.

Audit reveals Army's trillion-dollar accounting gaffes - CNNPolitics.com

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I wonder what an audit of any large government department would reveal? Consider that, at the Army level, a great deal of "accounting" is done by clerks and Property Book Officers - many of whom learn their job "on-the-fly" and are subject to making numerous errors - all of which need to be corrected in numerous places. Paperwork gets misplaced - at any of several levels - or money gets reallocated - again, at any of several levels - and pretty soon nobody is precisely sure exactly where the books balance.

I wonder what an audit of the FED would look like???

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    The Army is not unique in this, the US Government as a whole does not have anything close to an accounting system that's worth a flip. (Of course, neither does Congress, so it's kind of rich that they threaten the Army for not having one). There are hundreds, probably thousands of separate accounting systems in the USG that have grown up over time, and they were interfaced with each other haphazardly, if at all.

Also, most USG spending goes to "entitlement" programs, which means that (according to Congress) if one qualifies for the entitlement, whether it's Obama phones or my retirement pay, it must be paid, and it's out of anyone's hands to change that without killing the whole entitlement. Good luck with that. No one in Congress or the USG really cares about tracking that too closely, except for the odd conservative or libertarian think tank.

But "discretionary" funds, as opposed to "entitlements" -- ah, there's a place where Congress can ramp the funds up or down willy nilly, and last time I looked, most of the "discretionary" funds were in the DoD budget. So the DoD gets extra scrutiny, extra oversight, extra fiduciary rules, and all that "help" also has to be programmed in the myriad of accounting systems in the DoD, which is another source of errors aside from the day-to-day boo-boos and the interface problems. Big ticket items like the F-22 are prime targets for "oversight" because they are so big, and the voter base for them is actually pretty small. Sure the defense companies and the USAF will lobby pretty hard for them, but in terms of real power (votes), they're no match for everyone who receives welfare or EITC or phones or whatever. They have to substitute money (political donations) and hookers or whatever, and agree to be the public whipping boy whenever budget cuts have to be made. Plus the rules imposed on acquisitions are just mind boggling -- true budgets only extend one-year into the future, because that's all the money Congress will allocate for buying most hardware. The Five Year Defense Plan and other such documents are really little more than wishes after the first year.

Anyway you roll all these opportunities for things to get screwed up together with dozens of different accounting systems, and yep, no one really knows what the hell is going on at a macro level. Since the accounting is all messed up, the IG really has no genuine idea whether the Army has lost track of $6 or $6 trillion, they just find some errors and extrapolate them across all the systems, and WHOA. Big number!

I don't think the USG will ever really have a single auditable accounting system, because no one will really want to know the answer, least of all Congress. If/when the US goes completely Venezuelan and ends up in a civil war, then maybe we can start from scratch, depending on who wins, but short of Armageddon, I don't think it will ever come close to getting fixed.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    Hmm this is the same ARMY that took back $16.00 last year for overpayment. I could tell you so many stories like the one about the $6500 rug 4ft by 5ft. Oh well as long as the retirement check doesn't bounce.

marmion

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2010
    With all this corruption, greed and incompetence plainly out in the open just imagine what is going on behind the scenes.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Yep. And it's the same army that issued a bunch of guys a second set of OCIE several years ago prior to a deployment. They then collected one set and put it in a shipping container. They lost the container, but the gear was still on everyone's clothing record. A lot of soldiers wound up paying thousands for gear that they had touched once.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Not nearly as much as this story but NO ONE cared about the 70 Billion in US cash that disappeared in Afghanistan. If I ran my finances like the Feds...or local for that matter, I'd been homeless long ago.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Not nearly as much as this story but NO ONE cared about the 70 Billion in US cash that disappeared in Afghanistan. If I ran my finances like the Feds...or local for that matter, I'd been homeless long ago.

Yep. Federal agents running around a third world hell hole with thousands or even millions, just handing it out. I'm sure It all went to appropriate sources, and no government employees became rich in the process. That missing money? Nothing to worry about. A simple clerical error.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    As long as it's a democrat pick in charge, nothing will come of it. They could have video of the Commanding General sitting around a blackjack table, with six hookers, spouting off about how much fun it is to spend "free" money and nothing would come of it. The press wouldn't report it. The POTUS wouldn't acknowledge it. All forgiven, all forgotten.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Haven't seen this on INGO, and search turned up nothing, I'd not read about it until today. Linking story on CNN

Am I missing something here, isn't this pretty big (BAD) news? While it may not be actual "missing dollars", how does this many accounting goofs occur? How much money is being wasted, frick, I find it just disgusting.

Audit reveals Army's trillion-dollar accounting gaffes - CNNPolitics.com

From Independence Day

President Thomas Whitmore: I don't understand, where does all this come from? How do you get funding for something like this?
    Julius Levinson: You don't actually think they spend $20,000 on a hammer, $30,000 on a toilet seat, do you?

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    My last overseas tour I was stationed in Kuwait. I was assigned to a team who's job was to track down lost equipment all over the middle east. One of my favorite crazy missions was to recover a container in Afghanistan my orders were simple " I need you to find a container in Afghanistan" Where is it? "We don't know all we know is its blue this number is on it and it is full of technical engineering equipment worth about 11.3 million." OK I leave in the morning guess I will start in Bargram?

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    My last overseas tour I was stationed in Kuwait. I was assigned to a team who's job was to track down lost equipment all over the middle east. One of my favorite crazy missions was to recover a container in Afghanistan my orders were simple " I need you to find a container in Afghanistan" Where is it? "We don't know all we know is its blue this number is on it and it is full of technical engineering equipment worth about 11.3 million." OK I leave in the morning guess I will start in Bargram?

Lol, that's rich

Top Bottom