Are you a pilot? Show me the coolest thing you've flown.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Preacher715

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2010
    French Lick, IN
    Microsoft Flight Simulator made getting my license ten times easier and quicker... I suggest it to any up and coming pilot... fly and do all the flight school tutorials... you will learn a lot!

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    As part of my F-16 incentive flight I was given permission to take the controls. Does that count? :D

22829_17159.jpg

WOLF PACK!!!!!!!!!!!!

When my dad got his incentive one of the pilots took me to the end of the taxiway and told me to get in the bed of the truck, the jet then came a buzzed me super low, in the hud video you can see me jumping up and down..... one of the best memories I have.

I have flown a few small birds and flew in a KC-135 and got to be in the back when they were fueling some of my dads 16's.... have more time fixing birds then flying them.

Microsoft Flight Simulator made getting my license ten times easier and quicker... I suggest it to any up and coming pilot... fly and do all the flight school tutorials... you will learn a lot!

Trying to land a 737 on a runway designed for a piper cub was fun.

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    I like to get up and down quickly.

[ame="http://youtu.be/yIRssbcUZbg"]CH 750[/ame]

Only thing I've ever flown that wasn't a beat up old bush plane.

Last edited:

ocsdor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Lafayette, IN
    It's not flying until you get OUT of the aircraft.
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNcSbtWLYS8&list=FLMcHKFw2DkVIx-oOa9aFCng&index=15&feature=plpp_video[/ame]

B-License Skydiver
    Private Pilot and A&P mechanic licenses.

As PIC, I've flown:
    Cessna 150 & 172
    Piper Tomahawk, Arrow, & Cherokee

As "co-pilot", I've flown
    DeHavilland Twin Otter
    Beechcraft T-34
    Sikorsky S-58T

As Flight Simulator PC games:
    Sega Afterburner (completed all 23 stages in arcade version)
    Falcon 3.0
    Janes Fighters Anthology (and all predecessors of that series)
    Janes F/A-18

Last edited:

ChrisK

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Starke County
    Not a pilot but the coolest thing I've flown IN was the C5 Galaxy. So big you could park a DC-10 under each wing and keep them dry.
    I remember seeing a tank in the cargo bay as I climbed the ladder to the upper deck. I heard it can carry multiple helicopers also. The seating was interesting as we faced backwards during flight.

picture.php

I worked these from 1978 to 1991. Got to have around 1.5 hours of stick time while flying to the Middle East. Great Time!!!

ocsdor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Lafayette, IN
    FTW!

I spent many hours in commercial airliners as a passenger for over 23 years of my carreer. I averaged over 100,000 miles per year. I never found any reason whatsoever to jump out of a perfectly good airplane. Never even came close.

We like to joke that we jump out because the planes we ride in are far from perfectly good.

BTW, the scariest part of the whole jump sequence (for me) is the takeoff and climb to 1,000' in the jump plane. Once we unbuckle our seatbelts, I begin to relax.

Vince49

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2010
    Indy urban west.
    Bridesmaid!

We like to joke that we jump out because the planes we ride in are far from perfectly good.

BTW, the scariest part of the whole jump sequence (for me) is the takeoff and climb to 1,000' in the jump plane. Once we unbuckle our seatbelts, I begin to relax.

Back in '71 I had a ten man star exit from my UH-1H at FL180 over Ft. Stewart GA. It took me nearly one hour and ten minutes to climb to that altitude and twenty two minutes in a power off decent (auto-rotation) to get back on the ground. By the time I got back down they were nearly repacked and ready to go back up! :rolleyes: I flew the Ft.Stewart jump club on the weekends and always wanted to have a go at it myself. I completed the ground school and was ready to make my first jump but we never could find another volunteer to fly the aircraft on a weekend as it had to be some other dumb a** like me that was rated in the," Huey", and willing to give up their weekend. :D

Last edited:

Vince49

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2010
    Indy urban west.
    I think I can, I think I can.......!

Geez. Isn't that about the service ceiling for that aircraft? No wonder it took you so long to reach that altitude.

Yes actually that is exactly what it is. That is why we decided to do it! :D
    A little alcohol at the O'Club the night before might have been a factor. :rolleyes: :) It was a one shot deal and we did not actually think we could do it. If it had not been an unusually cold winter day for the area it would not have been possible. What we finally decided before departure was that I would climb until the aircraft quit climbing or FL180 whichever occurred first. It was a Sunday and traffic was slow or JAX Center would never have let us do it. As it was they (Jacksonville ARTCC) were less than thrilled with us being at those altitudes in a aircraft doing 80 knots and climbing at a rate of just a few hundred feet a minute. :rolleyes: I do believe for the last 15 minutes or so of the climb though they were somewhat fascinated and were giving us a,"The Little Engine that could", cheering section!

PS: We also had to strip out everything that was not essential including the interior upholstery and all the seats. In addition of course we had to have oxygen for myself and the ten jumpers. It also helped that I had an authorization to operate the aircraft single pilot (normally a crew of two required) so that also made us a little lighter.

PPS: We also about FROZE!

Last edited:

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    Meh... about 20 years ago, I got about 8 or 9 hours on a Cessna 152 and three or so on a Piper Tomahawk. I loved the stable, visible 152... like flying an old air-cooled Beetle in the sky. I hated the Tomahawk. It felt like an unbalanced moped.

Oh... another hour with my instructor doing a maintenance flight in a some twin-engine turbo prop Cessna or Piper... I don't recall. What I do recall is how it felt like a screaming, agile muscle car compared to the 152 and Tomahawk. ;)

Elkrock777

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    I'm a private pilot also. Mostly drive a c-150, have pic time in a bellanca viking, cliped wing chipmunk, simulator time in kc-135, and soon will be building time and working on my instrument in a 67 pa 28-235 cherokee.

Last edited:

$mooth

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 27, 2010
    Texas
    Only thing I've gotten Stick time in is a Bell 407 and Cessna 172.

But I'll play the cards on the ones that I designed:
    My baby that I designed from birth:
    ARH-70A Arapaho - died young
    bell-407-arh-0605-1a.jpg

bellarh.jpg

Then some that I've had a good hand in designing:
    AH-1Z and UH-1Y
    UH-1Y-AH-1Z-Bell-web-lr.jpg

Unmanned Combat Armed Rotocraft (UCAR) - died in infancy
    acoucar.jpg

Bell 429
    2010-Bell-429-For-Sale.jpg

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I've been lucky to have flown a lot of different small aircraft. My favorites were the OH-6A Loach, Eurocopter AS 350B (A-Star) and Piper PA 18-150 (Super Cub). I first learned to fly in the Army. Most of the time I got paid to fly. I spent a lot of time doing this:[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNIxU0vmlj8&feature=related[/ame]

Top Bottom