• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    From my experience with people that hang out on forums, most of them are not out going people persons. They like to hang out with people that are like minded and dont extend themselves as most feel uncomfortable in their own skin.

I could hang out with strangers 7 days a week and could find something worth talking about.

There is a lot more to life than your own little world.

oh trust me, i could hang out 7 days a week too and you would never know the difference between me or your best friend. Its just not my goal to waist my time hanging out. i have a wife and daughter who I missed out on seeing a lot because of my job. Im making up for lost time. my previous career path kept me from making too many close relationships. yep, im afraid of getting close and then losing a friend. I have no doubt that plays a big subconscious and partially conscious part in my social hermitness

AuntieBellum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Rensselaer
    I always find it interesting to watch people and find out if they're an introvert or an extrovert - which, even then, is a scale and not a hard and fast line.

I fall a lot closer to the middle of the scale, but I'm most certainly an introvert. Small-talk social gatherings are terrifying for me. I'm not good at small-talk, and I end up standing in a corner feeling awkward until I wander off to find something constructive to work on - even if it's just re-filling the veggie tray or something. I hate talking on the phone - I leave my phone on silent or vibrate on purpose. I never even know when the phone rings. :)

At work I play an extrovert. I give approximately 75 20-min presentations a year, make small-talk with families for 30 min - 1 hr at a time a few times a week, share an office with a certified extrovert (I LOVE my iPod - those little earbuds are a life saver!), and generally must be in contact with people all day long. And make phone calls for 2 or 3 hours a day. :xmad:

Oh, so back to the topic - yeah, I don't keep in contact with very many people for real. That's what facebook is for - helping people with very few friends think they're popular. :D

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    yes I am with you on the small talk thing, and also the phone thing. Its VERY uncomfortable for me to talk on the phone and even the internet with one on one conversations because I cant see facial expressions and others cant see mine. I make a joke all the time, but on the net or on the phone its hard to express, and it end awkwardly most times.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    Another thread got me thinking about this.

Do you guys keep in contact with classmates even after graduating many years ago? Military buddies? Hang out with coworkers, etc?

I pretty much do none of the above. I'll see some old classmates every once and awhile and **** chat with them but I make no conscious effort to do so. I don't keep in contact with any of my friends from the Army. I very rarely do anything with my coworkers outside of work. I seldom have visitors to my house.

I'm just not a people person. Occasionally I'll see an aquantaince and if they dont see me, I'll keep moving. I'm just not one to enjoy **** chat and catching up on old times. Am I the only hermit here? I guess one reason I like INGO is that when I get my fill, I can turn it off and tune out. I like drinking beer in social settings so I rarely drink as I'm rarely in a social setting to do so.

I am with you on all counts. So no you are not the only hermit here. I am not a people person.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    To prove my point, watch if he comes in here to defend himself. He always hangs out in the gun section. He rarely comes in the breakroom, if at all.

Once again, you'd be incorrect. :D

MrsXtremeVel;1551836 I'm the polar opposite. .[/quote said:
    I would not disagree... At the range, I do wish we weren't opposite... There, I am social and do about as much talking as I do shooting... You, on the other hand, either need to socialize more or learn a little about ammo disclipline... Us taking 1000-1200 rounds each trip and coming home with empty cases is killing me !

My hubby does that too. He goes to meet people that are strangers for gun deals and he's gone for hours...doesn't call...and I don't know if he's dead or alive. He says they're "gun people" and I don't need to worry.

As far as Facebook is concerned....no comment. :D

I know I am in good hands... When I leave, you know the screen name of the person and what I am going for... By the time I get home, you have already checked em out on their profile here and know more about them than they probably do about themself... LMAO

Seriously, I go to the meet just as prepared and on guard as going anywhere else... it's just that I go with a better feeling when dealing with a " gun person" than I would if meeting some yoyo from peddlers post over a piece of furniture or some electronic...

From my experience with people that hang out on forums, most of them are not out going people persons. They like to hang out with people that are like minded and dont extend themselves as most feel uncomfortable in their own skin.

I could hang out with strangers 7 days a week and could find something worth talking about.

There is a lot more to life than your own little world.

Most there I would agree with.... One thing I would have to say is what a person can miss with small **** chat. We have a 12 year old son who seems to be involved with about every sport... Ask the wife how many tackles he made last fall... I can honestly say I saw everyone because I was watching... I won't speak for her.... :D

all of my doctors but one have all been social brick walls with the personality traits of a tree.

So true... I would probaly have to exclude my dentist though.... He is a real character !

earlykyler2012

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 28, 2010
    Grant County
    Odd thing this was the first post I read this morning. Usually I am 100% with the OP but last night I agreed to meet up with a few old friends to watch the fights. Felt like old times. I don't think any of us have changed a bit. I probably seem a bit shy and soft-spoken to people who don't know me well but I've always felt you can learn alot by just watching and listening.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Do you guys keep in contact with classmates even after graduating many years ago? Military buddies? Hang out with coworkers, etc?

Nerp.
    When I first got Face Book, I got a TON of invites from "kids I went to school with". I accepted them all to look at their pages and see what they turned out to be. Pretty much the same azzhats that they were in school. So I unfriended all of them except for the three or four that really were "friends" back then. They aren't really online much, but when they are, they usually have something interesting to say...
    but I digress - that's not really "hanging out". In the vein that you meant it, the short answer is "no".
    I don't really "hang out" with anybody. A few sporadic and infrequent "let's meet here and do x"...that's about it.
    My favorite people live too far away to "hang out"...

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    I don't like small talk at all. I have gone days without more than 20 minutes of talking the entire time WHILE I was working 60 hours a week right next to several other people that I tolerated. I'm almost always quiet even in a small group of good friends unless I've had a few too many and then I'm just trying to make myself laugh. I do the Facebook thing but i'm not one to post my day to day junk, mostly talk to 3 or 4 people. Facebook has been used to set up shoots with friends but I mostly play 2 games on it and that is about it. I've got family that I've ignore friend requests on Facebook. If I don't talk to you much in person, I'm not going to talk to you online. Strangers at a gun shop or at the range? I've got no problem standing around and talking a bit.

I'd say I have 3-4 good friends that I know have my back at anytime. Some childhood friends I'll talk to if I haven't seen them in awhile(known them for 26 years) but I don't go out of my way to make a conversation. Phone calls usually last under a minute and all texts other than to 1 person end up being a line maybe 2 max.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Nerp.
    When I first got Face Book, I got a TON of invites from "kids I went to school with". I accepted them all to look at their pages and see what they turned out to be. Pretty much the same azzhats that they were in school. So I unfriended all of them except for the three or four that really were "friends" back then. They aren't really online much, but when they are, they usually have something interesting to say...
    but I digress - that's not really "hanging out". In the vein that you meant it, the short answer is "no".
    I don't really "hang out" with anybody. A few sporadic and infrequent "let's meet here and do x"...that's about it.
    My favorite people live too far away to "hang out"...

I'll never have a facebook account but I see how it can be a good thing. My fear is that if I turn down a friend request, I'd end up with some whackjob like the trad who taunted their dying neighbor girl because her parents didn't respond to a text message. The biggest person I would not want on my facebook page would be my sister-in-law as she would only want access to be nosy. And I know shed be greatly offended if I denied the request.

I rarely talk on the phone and always check caller id as well. If it's the in laws, I usually never answer as I know it's not for me. Very few people have my cell number. My wife and brother have their ringtones and all others have a different tone. If it's the different tone, I won't answer it til I can see who it is.

Sheltie

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    N.E. Indiana
    I wish I were more of a people person. I've tried going to church, and making friends. Once they find out I'm a plumber they suddenly just want me to do work for them.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I must be a people person, because my boss at work is always commenting on how many friends I have that come to my work area and BS throughout the day. It helps that I'm behind a huge press brake and it's about the only area in the building the bosses can't see by looking out their window.:D

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    Am I a people person?

No. I'm a hermit by nature, don't hang out with or have much in common with coworkers, and don't hang out with non-coworkers. I'm one of those people that acquires new acquaintences if I move across town, but not intentionally (You know, eventually I'm going to accidentally meet my neighbors). I don't know where anyone from my high school ended up and don't particularly care.

I spend time with the wife, kids, and one or two others.

MoparMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Not a people person here. That's why i'm in the Infantry.
    When i have to give classes and instruct i'm a little better.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I can count on one hand how many people I talk to that I went to school with. Our ten year reunion was last summer and there is nothing that could have made me go! I do have several friends that I hang out with from time to time, but I do not really go out much at all.

ATF Consumer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    South Side Indy
    im like you OP. VERY few, VERY few.
    I too see no point in engaging in meaningless conversation that serves no purpose other than feel goods. I have things to be doing.

Ditto...my wife even comments about our long road trips where I can go very long periods without engaging in any form of communication. My mind is racing with all kinds stuff, I just don't vocalize it.

I've only got a select few military pals and friends from my home town I keep in contact with. I never had many close friends throughout my life...no one to hang out with, or go party on the weekends.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I can count on one hand how many people I talk to that I went to school with. Our ten year reunion was last summer and there is nothing that could have made me go! I do have several friends that I hang out with from time to time, but I do not really go out much at all.

I actually went to both class reunions I've had and had a great time. But once every 5 years is enough.

Top Bottom