• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Another thread got me thinking about this.

Do you guys keep in contact with classmates even after graduating many years ago? Military buddies? Hang out with coworkers, etc?

I pretty much do none of the above. I'll see some old classmates every once and awhile and **** chat with them but I make no conscious effort to do so. I don't keep in contact with any of my friends from the Army. I very rarely do anything with my coworkers outside of work. I seldom have visitors to my house.

I'm just not a people person. Occasionally I'll see an aquantaince and if they dont see me, I'll keep moving. I'm just not one to enjoy **** chat and catching up on old times. Am I the only hermit here? I guess one reason I like INGO is that when I get my fill, I can turn it off and tune out. I like drinking beer in social settings so I rarely drink as I'm rarely in a social setting to do so.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    i work with the public, so naturally i hate people. :)

^^^:lol2:

I'm a hermit by nature. If i have a choice of going out or staying in, I'll make a pot of coffee and relax on the couch. Funny thing is, my line of work forces me to be a people person...which is completely against my nature. :cool:

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I'm not a people person per se. Like you, if I'm not actively involved with folks doing whatever, I don't tend to keep in touch.

Part of that for me is the fact that because I teach I encounter a lot of people routinely where we're working together for a weekend or a week intensely so I get to know them, but then I may never see them again.

Part of it is that I live and work out of my property, so other than going to town a couple times a week, I don't tend to interact with most folks on a daily basis. In that sense I do tend towards hermitude. I could be quite happy living out here with limited contact with other folks if I didn't teach and I didn't have the net.

But I PLAY being a people person pretty well. When I am out and about and have to be social I'm gregarious and friendly. I can do that because I don't have to do that all of the time. And in those small quantities, I really like helping folks out and making their lives better. I give far more of myself to other folks and the community at large than I have ever asked, and I enjoy doing it.

Farmerjon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2010
    NorthWest Indiana
    Well as my "handle" points to, I have a small farm with horses, cattle, pigs, chickens and critters to take care of. My job puts me in with people all day long. When done, yep, a certified hermit. Funny every year people get to talking about their vacations, someone will ask me, "where did you go on vacation?" I always reply, "stayed home" and they will most likely respond with, "sorry". I sometimes explain further, sometimes don't, but this is generally what I say, "any day I don't have to leave my farm is a day of heaven on earth for me". Some people just don't get it.
    With that said, I did stop and meet some INGO people on purpose a week or so back. Was a good time, isn't my nature, just wanted to put some faces to names and meet them one on one. It was a positive experience.

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Way up North
    I'm with you, even when I get phone calls I tend to act very busy and quickly say I gotta few things going on I'll have to get with you another time. Then I go back to kickin back at the homestead.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    im like you OP. VERY few, VERY few.
    I too see no point in engaging in meaningless conversation that serves no purpose other than feel goods. I have things to be doing.
    Yeah, me too, when I am out, I do talk to Veterans, or other INGO, people, and go to the range, or meetings, but that is about it.....

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    But I PLAY being a people person pretty well. When I am out and about and have to be social I'm gregarious and friendly. I can do that because I don't have to do that all of the time. And in those small quantities, I really like helping folks out and making their lives better. I give far more of myself to other folks and the community at large than I have ever asked, and I enjoy doing it.

same here. i try to always be polite until someones bad attitude requires me to be otherwise. Like the time a guy on here tried to sell me a glock with the front site dancing around and glued on. i wasnt happy and seen no way he didnt know about it considering he told me he shot it the day before. but I didn't call him out ,,,,,,, until after I refused to buy it and he tried to turn the blame on me for the failed sale. then I had to get up in his **** and one could say my kind demeanor quickly changed to one of personal preservation and attitude adjustment.

I do have a few regular people I talk to, but even psychologist say that more than a few best friends (including family) is not healthy because you will have no time for anything in your life to maintain yourself and the relationships properly, which will end up pissing people off. now acquaintances are different than friends.

MrsXtremeVel

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Another thread got me thinking about this.

Do you guys keep in contact with classmates even after graduating many years ago? Military buddies? Hang out with coworkers, etc?

I pretty much do none of the above. I'll see some old classmates every once and awhile and **** chat with them but I make no conscious effort to do so. I don't keep in contact with any of my friends from the Army. I very rarely do anything with my coworkers outside of work. I seldom have visitors to my house.

I'm just not a people person. Occasionally I'll see an aquantaince and if they dont see me, I'll keep moving. I'm just not one to enjoy **** chat and catching up on old times. Am I the only hermit here? I guess one reason I like INGO is that when I get my fill, I can turn it off and tune out. I like drinking beer in social settings so I rarely drink as I'm rarely in a social setting to do so.

Holy Cow! You just described my husband to a tee! Were you guys separated at birth? :D He can type on INGO for hours about guns, but he won't take 2 secs. to talk to someone he knows at the mall. If I try to introduce him to one of my friends, he acts unaware and keeps walking. He talks to his military friends, but only if they're calling about guns. Other than that he's " not home."

I'm the polar opposite. I'm very outgoing. I always say he married me to be his "spokesperson" and that's usually what I do. In the 15 yrs. we've been together he claims that he never "put his foot in his mouth." Of course that's not the same for me. :D

To prove my point, watch if he comes in here to defend himself. He always hangs out in the gun section. He rarely comes in the breakroom, if at all.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    Holy Cow! You just described my husband to a tee! Were you guys separated at birth? :D He can type on INGO for hours about guns, but he won't take 2 secs. to talk to someone he knows at the mall. If I try to introduce him to one of my friends, he acts unaware and keeps walking. He talks to his military friends, but only if they're calling about guns. Other than that he's " not home."

I'm the polar opposite. I'm very outgoing. I always say he married me to be his "spokesperson" and that's usually what I do. In the 15 yrs. we've been together he claims that he never "put his foot in his mouth." Of course that's not the same for me. :D

To prove my point, watch if he comes in here to defend himself. He always hangs out in the gun section. He rarely comes in the breakroom, if at all.

i must say, that I have met several INGO members for gun deals and ended up standing in a parking lot for a couple of hours shooting the ****. just not in the winter :): So, i do enjoy good conversation, but you will NEVER see me on any of that facebook crap or anything.

MrsXtremeVel

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    i must say, that I have met several INGO members for gun deals and ended up standing in a parking lot for a couple of hours shooting the ****. just not in the winter :): So, i do enjoy good conversation, but you will NEVER see me on any of that facebook crap or anything.

My hubby does that too. He goes to meet people that are strangers for gun deals and he's gone for hours...doesn't call...and I don't know if he's dead or alive. He says they're "gun people" and I don't need to worry.

As far as Facebook is concerned....no comment. :D

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    I have a Communications degree and work in sales, I am a natural people person. But when it comes to social networking and stuff like that, hermit. I only friend folks in online applications if I know them well enough to call them my friends. Unlike some of my friends that have hundreds, even thousands of "friends", I have under 50. I take it relatively serious.

Coworkers, I don't like most of them. Some are cool, but a majority are creepy, Pat Boone types that integrate religion into everything and are usually hypocritical. In general, I don't do social things with them unless neccessary.

Some professions require "niceities" but some are lacking that could really use it. Technical professions, computer people and engineers really don't understand how much further they could go in life if they were a bit more gregarious, even if they didn't mean it. I have fired "jerk" engineers who talked down to customers b/c they were "inconvienienced" in talking with them about a product problem. I have demoted or fired production for having poor attitudes, the "t-shirt attitude" (hell with the world kind of outlook, the world bends to me even though I don't deserve it types). In general, outlook and optimism make the grade in my book. Want to be a grump, there's the door... I don't care what society's norm for those professions are.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    I have a Communications degree and work in sales, I am a natural people person. But when it comes to social networking and stuff like that, hermit. I only friend folks in online applications if I know them well enough to call them my friends. Unlike some of my friends that have hundreds, even thousands of "friends", I have under 50. I take it relatively serious.

Coworkers, I don't like most of them. Some are cool, but a majority are creepy, Pat Boone types that integrate religion into everything and are usually hypocritical. In general, I don't do social things with them unless neccessary.

Some professions require "niceities" but some are lacking that could really use it. Technical professions, computer people and engineers really don't understand how much further they could go in life if they were a bit more gregarious, even if they didn't mean it. I have fired "jerk" engineers who talked down to customers b/c they were "inconvienienced" in talking with them about a product problem. I have demoted or fired production for having poor attitudes, the "t-shirt attitude" (hell with the world kind of outlook, the world bends to me even though I don't deserve it types). In general, outlook and optimism make the grade in my book. Want to be a grump, there's the door... I don't care what society's norm for those professions are.

you could hire me to handle all the firing for you? :D

Glock18FA

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    From my experience with people that hang out on forums, most of them are not out going people persons. They like to hang out with people that are like minded and dont extend themselves as most feel uncomfortable in their own skin.

I could hang out with strangers 7 days a week and could find something worth talking about.

There is a lot more to life than your own little world.

MadBomber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Brownsburg
    My job requires me to have constant interaction with people (as one member here can attest). Other than that, I'd rather be home with the family. Like some others have mentioned, I've met up with a few INGO members and end up talking for quite awhile.
    All in all, I'd rather have my time with my wife and daughter than try to juggle several BFF's

Avi8tor

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 21, 2010
    Deep South

I only talk to people from high school if I run into them and are forced to say high. I am like you. If they don't see me, I will make it so it stays that way. I hang out with my ROTC friends more than any others. Probably because we already see each other almost 10-20 hours a week. I do hang with co-workers as well since my part-time job at the airport is also our hobby(aviation). I am always up for going out for a beer with new people as long as I didn't go to high school with them. If it is an ROTC bunch I throw it on the table right when we get there not to talk about ROTC the whole night.:D

Top Bottom