• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • figley

Expert
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    SW Indy
    Go to an Appleseed, or find someone to help you with the iron sights, if for no other reason than to rule out faulty equipment.

If you still want some magnification, you might check out the Millet DMR 1-4x, at about $200.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    What is the difference between a mil-dot and a duplex reticle?

Duplex is just a thin center cross hairs with thicker outside. The idea is that the thick lines allow you to locate the thin lined center easier.

Mil-dot is usually on a heavy duplex. These are added dots along the cross hairs at know distances and dots of know size. This is useful for hold over, windage or movement adjustments, as well as range estimation.

Here is a decent article on mil-dot use: How to Get the Most out of your Mil-Dot Reticle

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I recently got my first AR, a 16" carbine. I'm just not used to the whole peep sight thing, and I took it out and got terrible groups at 50 yards. Now I now this thing isn't a sniper rifle or anything, but surely it is capable of 2 MOA or better with average brass cased ammo. I know I'm not going to hit golf balls at 1000 yards, but I'd like to hit them at 50, hit a large pie plate at 200, and a man sized target at 300. I'd like to think the rifle is capable of that even if my skill isn't. I want the scope to be semi-tactical if possible, or at least durable for the long haul. Price is an issue, so I don't want cheap junk but I do want good value for the money. In other words, I refuse to buy a scope from Wal Mart, but I can't afford a $1000 Leupold either. I saw Cabela's has a Nikon P-223 for $200. Is that a good scope and a good value? I'd like to keep it between $150-300. I know it won't buy much, but will it buy something halfway decent?
    Check out this video and see if it might help out in setting up your iron sights properly.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5QCGWYfHWk&feature=related[/ame]

Regardless of whether you wanna use a scope or not I personally think it is a good idea to get fundamentally squared away with the iron sights first and then delve into making an investment in a good quality scope if you want.

That's just my opinion though. YMMV.

Top Bottom