• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gels

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    For home defense, a lightweight AR or a 3" Taurus Judge 410/45? I like the idea of of the Judge because it spreads out the shot but would be interested in your opinion. I looked at the lightweight AR because I'm an old woman and haven't ever shot long guns.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Opinions are like......you know...

...but if it were me, for basic home defense I would say nether. If you are willing to bet your life on a .410 and willing to consider a long gun, make it a pump shotgun, but at that point, I'd make it a 20ga.

An AR is always a solid choice, but for up close and personal, I'd prefer the shotgun.

Personally, I look upon the Judge as an interesting novelty.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    The tool you use to defend yourself should be the one you're most proficient with. That may be an AR, or a handgun, or a knife, or a length of metal pipe. Pick the one that you're willing to put in the time with to learn to use it.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    She said she was an older woman, so the shotgun mite kick too much

If a Judge shooting .45 Colt or .410 defense loads is in the running, the recoil of a 20ga should not be an issue.

However, between the 2 choices (and two more disparate choices, there could not be), AR all the way.

themadmedic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    For home defense, a lightweight AR or a 3" Taurus Judge 410/45? I like the idea of of the Judge because it spreads out the shot but would be interested in your opinion. I looked at the lightweight AR because I'm an old woman and haven't ever shot long guns.

Spreading shot, particularly at defensive range and from a .410 is a fallacy and shouldn't be considered a plus.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee

Can we please have more information?

Not wanting to insult your intelegence or ability but are you have you used a handgun before, if so were you more comfortable with it versus a long gun

You might want to try holding a few defense weapons and seeing how they feel to you?

Also do you ever have grand children in the house or are you in a position in life where you dont need to have a trigger lock of small handgun safe?
    What ever you decide on do what works best for you and practice with it heck you might even make a few new friends in the process.

Good luck

Spike_351

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Scott County
    the Rossi circuit Judge would be a good choice, its a long rifle version of the judge and according to my buddys wife is easy to use and handle, and to my experience is accurate as well......plus I think it looks pretty :D

oh and welcome to Ingo :)

gels

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    More info;
    I'm in my early 50's and regularly shoot handguns, my favorite being my FNS. I have never shot an AR15 so know I wouldn't be very accurate with one. I don't have any grandchildren or other kids around the house so all no gun locks. I thought the larger spray pattern from a shotgun shell would hit something I couldn't hit with just one round but l will look some shotguns. I'm not worried so much about recoil as I am holding a long gun up well enough but I will try it tomorrow. I like all the responses so far, thanks!

Last edited:

jesse485

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    La Porte
    Nothing wrong with using your fns. Handguns are nice for HD because it's easy to maneuver with them. Id definitely suggest something like your fns over a judge, as it holds more ammo and will be easier to control. No doubt an AR will be more effective, but they are very loud, and will be more cumbersome to move around with.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    The hole spraying with a shotgun is a myth. You still have to aim. I don't reccomend an AR for HD. Unless you buy rounds that are designed to not over penetrate (break up in drywall), as FMJ rounds will go right through dry wall. Even if you have no one living with you, it's not something you want.

walleyepw

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    I would use what you are comfortable with and feel that you will practice with. I have not used a Tarus Judge, nor have I used a S&W Governor. I would choose the S&W, it has the ability to use 45 colt, 45 acp, and .410. Using the 45 colt or 45 acp are both fine rounds for self defense. The .410 has some new shells made expressly for self defense that you could check out, like Winchesters PDX.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    .410 from a very short barrel will spread, and spread RAPIDLY. To the point that will you get enough pellets on target to matter? Will you get sufficient penetration to matter, especially considering the huge loss in velocity from such a short barrel vs a "real" shotgun? I've got serious reservations about the Judge, personally.

The Box O' Truth #41 - The Taurus Judge Vs. The Box O' Truth - Page 1

The Box O' Truth #53 - The Taurus Judge, Revisited - Page 1

I don't see the spread as an advantage, especially with the penalty in recoil and ammunition cost.

Perhaps take a look at a youth model 870 in 20g. The shorter stock will help you hold it up, and a 20g will be a bit lighter. I think you'll find the longer sight radius (thus easier aiming) and increase in damage to the target well worth it. Plus it'll be cheaper, leaving you with more cash for ammo (and ammo will be easier to find).

Top Bottom