• ...and so much more!
  • Which should be my next gun?

• Total voters

LuckyGunner

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    I prefer the AR over the AK. I have a lot more experience with the AR platform and there is an abundance of options available. Once you get a complete lower it's very easy to switch calibers. So with the same lower you can shoot .223 up to 450.

7.62x39 isn't any cheaper than 223/5.56. Most people compare AK steel ammo to AR brass ammo. If you get steel for both the price is practicably the same. There isn't cheap military surplus for the AR, but a lot of the older 70's AK stuff is pretty much dried up already. When you look at brass casing ammo vs brass casing ammo 5.56/223 is actually cheaper. None of that matters if you don't plan on reloading but it's something that is typically glossed over. So for a reloader the AR is much cheaper to shoot.

I have no qualms with the AK. I have a couple myself and plan on getting a Saiga this summer (if you go AK get a Saiga and convert it). I just prefer the AR.

MtnBiker6510

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 19, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    As others have said, the rifles in question would both be dangerous in suburban or urban housing situations as home defense weapons. You will have dead neighbors or neighbors children. A 5.56 will penetrate much more than most people think. It still has enough energy that I have seen it penetrate 1.4" plate steel at 200yds, let alone 100 to 150' vinyl siding and drywall. Stick to a short shotgun or pistol for home defense unless you have safe shooting all around your home.

I'll pick the AR most days, but I would still love an AK for the history and the reliability.

A friend of mine once said:" An AR can hit the side of a barn at 600yds, but an AK can only hit the side of a barn from inside the barn" :D

! twitty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    NE Indy
    I guess in the end this will come down to one of those questions such as "Remington 870 or Mossberg 500?" They are both reliable and dependable in most circumstances. From what I gather it comes down to personal preference of what feels best for you and how well you can shoot it. Thanks for all the input guys. I guess I am still up in the air and will probably be happy if I get either. On a side note, are these WASR double stacks that are always on sale at Dunhams worth getting? I hear a lot of negative talk about them and just wanted to know if it is a "you get what you pay for situation?" or if it would be okay for a starter ak?

muncie1

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    Gimme' an AK.

In the 70's we used to play a game where we'd see how fast we could disable an M16 with one or two grains of sand... Admittedly, I have never done this with any current manufacture.

We also used to fire .308 rounds into AK receivers and see how many of them would still function. This originally started as an effort to destroy them before throwing them away. It didn't always work. Many of them would still function. If it wasn't "destruction of government property", I would say that (hypothetically), "not one M16 would work after the same treatment.".

"Way back then" the AK handled mud a lot better, too.

I can't remeber which magazine did it , but the author took a variety of AR-15s and abused them to see which ones held out. It was either this month or last month.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    111   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    I guess in the end this will come down to one of those questions such as "Remington 870 or Mossberg 500?" They are both reliable and dependable in most circumstances. From what I gather it comes down to personal preference of what feels best for you and how well you can shoot it. Thanks for all the input guys. I guess I am still up in the air and will probably be happy if I get either. On a side note, are these WASR double stacks that are always on sale at Dunhams worth getting? I hear a lot of negative talk about them and just wanted to know if it is a "you get what you pay for situation?" or if it would be okay for a starter ak?

You are correct, with a WASR you get what you pay for. Some are fine, two of my brothers have them and they shoot great! Neither rifle has any cant in the sights or gas block, one does have mag wobble though. If you want a WASR pick it up at the shop, play with it and make sure it feels ok. Look down the sights and make sure they're straight etc... I don't see a problem with a WASR as long as you like it and it's in fair shape. My :twocents:

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    holy thread resurrection batman!!......anywho.......AK=reliable in any circumstances, can't damage, cheap gun, cheap fixes, cheap practice ammo not so accurate at further distances, not as much penetration depending on ammo, and one BIG negative...you must remove it from your shoulder and take cover in order to reload or clear jams...if there is no immediate cover...it's your life, not mine AR= still reliable function, greater accuracy at greater distances, right ammo will penetrate body armor, you can maintain control of the weapon in shoulder, at the ready, looking down the sites while you reload a fresh mag....in a heated situation...this is a HUGE +....the only negative is ammo costs a little more......some people will try to complain about the rounds not doing damage or something along those lines...but those naive enough to think they are going to fire a SINGLE round at an attacker and hope it works...deserve whatever happens to them IMO....the positives are well worth the slightly more in cost....the AK is a great fall back weapon and if you must arm a family member who is not vey gun savy....but the versatility and tactical advantages of the AR...make it #1 IMO

NinnJinn

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 10, 2011
    Loogootee (Lo Go Tee
    I say AR...

My reasoning is because it is interchangable. you can put a 22 upper on it for cheap plinking, yet unless you get the Chiappa, the 22 upper is really close to the same weight of .223 so you can practice.

Plus, with the AR you can get soooooo many different caliber uppers for it.

ARs are only as expensive as you want them to be. My uncle has owned Spikes, Rock River arms, colt and olympic ARs that are upwards of over $1200....

He also has as he calls it, His Frankenstein AR. It has an areo precision lower, DPMS parts kit, no name stock, and a "cheap" upper. He built it himself and before optics etc, he has around $460 into it. Up to 100yds, he says it is as accurate doesn't shoot any different than the top name stuff.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    wow.....460 is impressive....I build all of mine with the best prices I can find and can't really get below 600......but either way...you can build them all day long for 600.....some places try to sell Ak's for that much...I wouldn't pay that much...but still....makes it even more worth it IMO

scott delaney

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 25, 2009
    if your stuck between the two go with an ak-74. cheaper then both, cheap ammo, same range as 5.56 and same heavy weight as a ak 47. i personall have an ar-15 and a ar-10 in .308 ...its like having a AR and an AK

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    AR. it generally has better accuracy, more distance, better optic choices, better stock/grips/rail choices, better cheek weld, better sights, a bolt catch, better ergonomics for the charging handle, it's lighter, the mags are lighter, etc

the AK has the cheap ammo going for it. but compared to my ARs, my AK is not a lot of fun to shoot. Now the SKS otoh is a great blaster.

swede229

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2011
    AR takes alot of learning if you dont already know about it. Proper operation,cleaning,clearing jams, fixing and fussyness. For a skilled shooter of the AR takes hours, days..

AK. hand to someone show them the safe end and the deadly end. show them where the ammo goes, and if it doesnt shoot its most likely out of ammo.

and ak is cheaper. Just my:twocents:

FutureButterBar

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Don't Worry About It
    AR takes alot of learning if you dont already know about it. Proper operation,cleaning,clearing jams, fixing and fussyness. For a skilled shooter of the AR takes hours, days..

AK. hand to someone show them the safe end and the deadly end. show them where the ammo goes, and if it doesnt shoot its most likely out of ammo.

and ak is cheaper. Just my:twocents:
    true, AR's need to be babied.
    AK's take more of a beating.
    depends on what you want to do with it.
    shoot it, chuck it in the back of your truck, pick it up a week later and shoot it again -- get an AK

if you want to upgrade it, treat it like gently, and have to take forever to clean it -- by an AR

JDvader

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Aug 22, 2011
    Evansville, IN
    I love both platforms, they are both are great rifles. I started out with an AR and now I'm into AK's. Either way you will have fun. Happy shooting.

hookedonjeep

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    With the other Sheepdogs
    AR = Barbie for Boys

Go with the AK, if nothing else than for the reliability.

Myself, I am saving my pennies so that on Christmas Morning, under a nice Christmas tree, Santa will bring me a Century Arms Centurion 39 (100% American Made AK :patriot:)

Any weapon system, that you have trained with, will get the job done. If you are living out in the sticks, and have clear lines of sight for 600+ meters in all directions, and you intend to pick off random targets as they approach, then you may indeed want to lean towards the AR. However, if you live in an urban-esque setting, and clear firing lanes average 300 meters or less, then the AK will do just as well. I chose the AK for it's outstanding reliability...... the bottom line is that you need to KNOW it will go bang when you pull the trigger, in ANY situation (ie: dropped it in the mud, got sand in it, didn't have a chance to thoroughly clean it since your last engagement.... etc, etc.) :twocents:

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Id have to go with the Ak, but if your wanting it to customize the Ar is deffinatly the way to go. But Ak's are alot of fun and ammo is cheap.

Top Bottom