• ...and so much more!
  • Which should be my next gun?

• Total voters

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I think the better question is are you sure you wanna waste $380 on a wasr-10 that might suck?

for home defense, I wouldnt go with an AK. you will kill your neighbors. even an AR isnt my first choice if I hear a bump in the night, but with the proper ammo, i will take it over an AK.

you dont need to sink a couple grand to have a great AR. spend around $800 and you can have a reliable no nonsense AR. buy optics later. get a flattop with flip up sights or get one with the carry handle. or a flattop with a detachable carry handle.

lol, that's exatly what I was thinking.

! twitty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    NE Indy
    Well, I meant more along the lines of hostile take over home defense. Lol. I have a Mossberg 500 with 18 1/2 barrel for home defense. I just want a bigger gun for "if the fit hits the shan" type of emergency.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.6%
    41   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    For a sh** hits the fan scenario, I think the average civilian shooter would be better off with an AK. Unless you are trained and accurate enough to really need the accuracy, the larger round and more robust operating system of the AK would likely be of greater advantage.

That said, I don't (currently) own any AKs. So take it for what it's worth.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    136   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    Depends on if you like shooting an accurate gun or not. If you don't care AK's are cheaper but not as enjoyable for me personally to shoot as an AR is

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    111   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    Both my AR and AK are quite accurate. Sights are better on the AR I think for further away targeting but AK is fine for a good ways out. They both equal the same type of result but they make their way there so differently! I would try and shoot a few rounds through each rifle if you can, they feel completely different! :D

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    I voted for the AK. They are cheaper to shoot than the AR and you get more knockdown power. I've seen AK's covered in mud, picked up and shot without missing a beat. You cover an AR with mud and shoot it you're going to have some problems.

For a really good AK, you're looking in the same price range as an AR, but you can get the cheap AK's for around 400 and they work great. Wal-Mart sells 7.62X39 ammo at $5 for a box of 20. Not only that but you're going to know if you hit someone with an AK. They are going to drop, even if they have a vest on they're going to fly back a few feet and feel it.

And you can't beat the fireball that leaves the barrel of an AK!

INyooper

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2009
    North Central IN
    AK ...love the sound, as Clint Eastwood puts it...

" This is the AK-47 assault rifle, the preferred weapon of your enemy; and it makes a distinctive sound when fired at you, so remember it."

I like it for all the reasons mentioned already.

jasonsromer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    MADISON
    I dig the AK for reliability, and ammo cost. It can be quite accurate with some practice. Not so good as an indoor home defense gun unless you live in a non- residential area. Great for SHTF go to gun.:twocents::smileak:

navarre1095

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2010
    Meth Vernon
    The AK is designed to be operated by illiterate peasants. I figured it was perfect for me. Plus, it goes good with sandals and tennis shoes.
    newsofap.com4bf004b57c12ctaliban-fighters.jpg

adam

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    Noblesville
    I have an AR and am pretty bored with it to be honest. I'm thinking about selling and switching over to a Mini-14 or AK variant just to spice things up.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    North West Indiana
    AR: easier to learn and become proficient with.
    AK: most reliable and harder hitting

There are a billion AR vs. AK articles out there. What it comes down to is which platform can you become the most effective warrior with? That is really answered by how much you want to train and practice. I chose the AR because I trained with it. Also, my wife can operate it far better than an AK. It is important to me that none of my HD weapons are too much for her to handle. AK requires more training as compared to an AR. AR is very ergonomic so everything is where it should be. i personally HATE the safety lever and mag function on AK's but they are fine battle rifles. for the wilderness, an AK. For the home, AR any day.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom