AR flash hider/comp/muzzle brake preferences? What do you run?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mar 10, 2009
    Salem
    What are some good options here? Who likes what and why? I'm finishing a AR carbine M4 style build and was shocked/horrified by all the options. Thanks!

wsenefeld

Master
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    It all depends on how you plan to run your rifle and your budget.

Do you often shoot indoors or with family/friends? If so, you may want a flash hider as they aren't nearly as loud/concussive as a brake.

If you are looking for reduced muzzle climb and faster follow up shots, you'll want the brake.

Do you plan on going the NFA route in the future and possibly have the need for a QD mount?

The brake/hider list is exhausting but if you answer these questions, we can narrow it down for you.

Mar 10, 2009
    Salem
    16 inch barrel. First AR build. Basically a budget build to learn a new weapons system. I'd like the quietest budget piece I can find, although I never shoot indoors. Just like to make the least amount of racket as possible. I've been recommended a "half birdcage" piece as well, but know little about it. Thanks again

warthog

Shooter
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    brakes as I prefer the MD does something positive to the shot rather than hiding me from what I shoot. I'm not killing people.

I don't "build" AR's though, I BUILD AK's, FAL's and other firearms worth building. My Opinion.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    For a flash hider, the testing by guys on ARFCOM shows it's REALLY hard to beat the A2 standard flash hider in terms of flash suppression and price. Doesn't look high speed/low drag, but it works flat out. I love the Smith Vortex, but it's only "meh" in the suppression department (but the "ting" sound after every shot is cool, lol).

Compensator? Spikes all the way. I shot one and it wasn't horrifically loud and did well. Levangs are okay.

wsenefeld

Master
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    16 inch barrel. First AR build. Basically a budget build to learn a new weapons system. I'd like the quietest budget piece I can find, although I never shoot indoors. Just like to make the least amount of racket as possible. I've been recommended a "half birdcage" piece as well, but know little about it. Thanks again

Most uppers will come with an A2 flash hider and they don't get much "quieter." The others I'd recommend are the AAC Blackout and Smith Vortex. I've had the Blackout and Vortex on an 11.5" 5.56, 16" 5.56, and 16" 5.45 and never noticed the "ting."

Brakes will only make it louder/more concussive. As of yet, I don't know of any flash hiders or brakes that make it any quieter. For that route, you'd have to get a suppressor.

sig1473

Master
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    For 5.56 Flash Hiders I run 2x Smith Vortex,1x YHM Phantom, 1x Rainier XD. For a Muzzle Brake I use a BattleComp 1.5. My next purchase will probably be a SureFire FH556. I had a Spike's DynaComp and it performed well.

Vortex
    e936c79944db91211dcbfaa8f8ef3086.jpg

Phantom
    68db79d77e385a18784c693993daa33c.jpg

Rainier XD
    1426304d9b799e61c07e3b5d56182255.jpg

BattleComp 1.5
    ad4d93068ba27f2f0e7630ec95f06ec0.jpg

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Nov 25, 2008
    16 inch barrel. First AR build. Basically a budget build to learn a new weapons system.

You're going to have a hard time beating an A2 from a practical standpoint. If you want a different looking style of muzzle device to make your rifle look different then by all means go for it. If you're just learning the platform, you're more than likely not going to know the difference or sense the advantage of a better muzzle device. I personally don't like the types of muzzle breaks that have a bunch of spikes or open slots on the end of them. They tried that in Vietnam and the muzzles kept getting caught on vegetation. Most guys with those types today never notice that kind of thing because they never get their pretty guns dirty.

I personally hate muzzle breaks for anything other than a bench gun. If you've got a big magnum or shoot a lot of .30 cal rifle from a bench then a brake makes sense. If you're running a 5.56 AR-15 where half the rifle is a recoil spring then you really don't have an excuse for needing a brake. If you do any moving while shooting, or shooting next to anyone who's got a muzzle break you'll know why guys with muzzle breaks don't make friends. A buddy has a rock river lefty and the thing has some weird half muzzle break on it and I hate sitting near him while he shoots it. I wouldn't even want to imagine if we were ever in a bad situation and didn't have our ear pro with us.

I'm sure I came off a little negative there, but at the end of the day it's your rifle and you should be happy with whatever you decide. Best of luck and let us know what you go with.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    The way I hold the rifle (really tightly against my chest), I don't notice much difference in terms of perceived recoil or muzzle rise among the various compensators and breaks (with 5.56x45mm). The rifle I shoot the most (when I can) has the A2 flash hider that came on the upper. Amusing anecdote: people used to comment on how well my compensator worked after I'd shoot a stage in a 3-gun match. Each time it was the same A2 flash hider.

If I were shooting a .30 caliber AR, I'd be more interested in a compensator. Does BCM make their Battlecomp in .30 caliber?

The muzzle devices that I think make a difference big enough to matter are silencers (sound suppressors, and I'm now going to use the term silencer since that the name Hiram Maxim used for it when he invented it). They're the best flash hiders and the best compensators/brakes.

aclark

Master
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    So if I understand this chart right, the Blackout would give the most noise reduction over an A2. Is that correct? Interesting chart for sure.

Correct, but I would venture to say its not making it quieter, its just redirecting it in a different way.
    First, using the military standard of 1 meter left of the muzzle and 1.6 meters above the ground, using Speer Gold Dot 64gr 5.56mm. These numbers represent the average of 10 shots.
    After I had expended every round of .223 and 5.56 in my house, I used 5.45 to measure sound pressure levels at the shooter’s ear.

mammynun

Master
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    I have Blackouts on all but 2 of my AR's (10.5"-16") since they act as QD mounts for my suppressor; before I got a can I was a fan of the Smith Vortex flash hiders. My experience is that the Vortex and the Blackout are so close in their flash hiding performance that ammo makes more of a difference. Both hid flash better than an A2.

I recently built a lightweight AR for my wife and went with a pinned and welded BattleComp 1.5 on a 14.5" mid gas barrel. I don't notice any reduction in muzzle rise or felt recoil compared to another 14.5" mid gas with a pinned Blackout, but the flash is significantly greater. Both the 14.5's with mid gas have less felt recoil than my 14.5 with carbine gas and a pinned Blackout... point being that the gas system has more effect on recoil than comp vs flash hider. Or it could be my imagination, but that's how it "feels" to me.

Last edited:

Yeah

Master
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    I use a hacksaw to cut off whatever flash hider / comp is factory attached, using a portion as a thread protector. The only muzzle devices I tolerate are silencers.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    I am a huge fan of the Ranier XTC.

:+1:

They work well indeed.

If you want a full brake though and want basically zero recoil, check out what POF makes. It's loud if you're beside it, but it's not bad shooting it. And the recoil is basically not there.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    I've gone through quite a few muzzle devices over the years, and shot with many more.

Best balance for me if some flash isn't a problem for you, is the newer model surefire brake. It doesn't throw the concussion in your face, it practically eliminates all recoil aside from bolt movement, and it keeps the muzzle very neutral in movement.

I'm running one on a tavor bullpup. The fact that I'm getting no concussion in my face running a large 2 port brake like the surefire, with the muzzle that close to my face, should be a pretty good indication that it's much easier on the ears than most.

Top Bottom