• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Things sure come around. The original M16 was originally intended to be a replacement for the M1 carbine for Air Force security teams. The M16 morphed into the MBR for the entire US Military. Now you think the M1 carbine is better than the AR?

If you don't like the AR15, get a Mini 14. You can't hit anything with the M1 carbine past 100 yards and the 30 carbine ammo is un-obtainable in GI factory form.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    D D

Yeah, We carried on Full Auto when out in the Boonies. The Carbines we had were Korean War Re-issues and probably were built in WW II. Plus I was a Teenager in uniform, and not the most detail-oriented G I at the time. On semi-auto they did ok.
    Ah, okay. Well that makes me feel a little better!

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Things sure come around. The original M16 was originally intended to be a replacement for the M1 carbine for Air Force security teams. The M16 morphed into the MBR for the entire US Military. Now you think the M1 carbine is better than the AR?

If you don't like the AR15, get a Mini 14. You can't hit anything with the M1 carbine past 100 yards and the 30 carbine ammo is un-obtainable in GI factory form.
    Well, I'm not saying it's "better". It just appeals to me more. I don't expect it to be a tack driver, and I'm okay with that. It will shoot well enough for me (I rarely have the opportunity to shoot farther than 100 yards anyhow), but I want it for the historical aspect too. I have no doubt that the Mini-14 or even the Mini-30 would probably be more practical, but if practical was what I was going for, then I'd just keep the AR! :):

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    I have owned both. Nothing wrong with the M-1 Carbine if your just plinking and maybe home defense? Also you could take it and enter the M01 carbine matches at Camp Perry in Ohio. I heard it is a lot of fun. My opinion is you won't be sorry if you sell at AR. Good Luck.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I have owned both. Nothing wrong with the M-1 Carbine if your just plinking and maybe home defense? Also you could take it and enter the M01 carbine matches at Camp Perry in Ohio. I heard it is a lot of fun. My opinion is you won't be sorry if you sell at AR. Good Luck.
    Thanks! Another plus is that I already have an M1 Garand, so it will make a nice companion piece.

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    Thanks! Another plus is that I already have an M1 Garand, so it will make a nice companion piece.

Well then you NEED the carbine to go with the Garand. Then you can enter the Garand AND the carbine matches at Camp Perry. If you have never been to the CMP site I highly encourage you to check it out. All those Garands and carbines in one place. They actually show pictures of both matches on the site. It is even better live. I been 3X. Anyway good luck.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Well, I'm not saying it's "better". It just appeals to me more. I don't expect it to be a tack driver, and I'm okay with that. It will shoot well enough for me (I rarely have the opportunity to shoot farther than 100 yards anyhow), but I want it for the historical aspect too. I have no doubt that the Mini-14 or even the Mini-30 would probably be more practical, but if practical was what I was going for, then I'd just keep the AR! :):

I think I have been on the same path to knowledge as you are right now. Get a M1 carbine, learn what I have learned from my ownership of a fine M1 carbine,and realize that the Mini 14 is 3 times the rifle that the M1 is.

I truly understand the appeal of the M1 carbine. It used to appeal to me too, until I spent 3 years trying to get mine to hit somewhere on the target. I finally gave up.

I own a few AR's only because they are competitve in NRA Highpower. My Mini 14 is far preferable if I was to only have access to one rifle for tough times.

Good luck and have fun.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Winamac, the Camp Perry matches are on my bucket list for sure. I've seen people post about them on here and they do sound like a lot of fun, even for a rank amateur such as me. I got my Garand from the CMP. Actually the first one I got (Springfield Service Grade that I picked out in person at Camp Perry) had some problems, and after sending it back to the armory twice, they replaced it with a Special Grade, with a National Match barrel and new production stock. They took very good care of me, that's for sure!

Sloughfoot, now you've gone and done it... I guess I'm going to have to add the Mini-14 (or 30 since I already have lots of 7.62x39 ammo) to my "list". :):

Someone posted this on a milsurp.com forum, and it pretty much sums up my reasoning as to why I want one of these...

"The real reason for owning a genuine GI made one is that they are unique in history. 6.5 million made in about four years and never another. All parts interchange in spite of being made by 9 different makers. Read "War Baby" and you'll understand the story. A piece of investment cast, tossed together parts that don't fit and have no human interaction beyond programming a CNC machine are just not the same. With the GI, you are buying something that will never be done again, an example of what America was once capable of doing and doing right. Never happen today."

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Well, I have a bid in on an IBM rifle on gunbroker. Auction ends at 7:04 this evening, so we'll see if my bid holds up. I'm going to be jumping every time my phone buzzes to tell me I have a new email today... :): As a computer programmer, I think it would be pretty cool to have an IBM rifle! :D

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    202   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    Well, I have a bid in on an IBM rifle on gunbroker. Auction ends at 7:04 this evening, so we'll see if my bid holds up. I'm going to be jumping every time my phone buzzes to tell me I have a new email today... :): As a computer programmer, I think it would be pretty cool to have an IBM rifle! :D

Good luck on your auction, I hope you win it. Did your AR sell?

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    111   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    I think the worst part of M1 Carbine ownership these days is finding ammo. Handy little rifle with hardly any recoil, but like already said if it was me I would get an M4 or Mini 14. Good luck and enjoy it if you get it!

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Thanks! Well, I don't know how savvy I am, :): but I do like old milsurp stuff in general, and you're right, there are a lot of things to consider! But then again, for me, that's half the fun - the history, etc.. :) I figure the AR should be worth about what I would be willing to pay for the rifle - so that's my spending limit, if you will. Part of what I'd like to find out here is, what's a realistic "worth" that I can expect for an AR like mine? I paid about 800 for just the rifle back in 2010, so kind of when the prices from Obamascare 1 were starting to subside a little.

If you buy a genuine USGI and later decide to sell it, chances are you can get more than you originally paid for it if you take care of it.
    Just be careful when you buy a USGI about head space and barrel/muzzle condition, as a lot of them you run across have been worked pretty hard.

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I think the worst part of M1 Carbine ownership these days is finding ammo. Handy little rifle with hardly any recoil, but like already said if it was me I would get an M4 or Mini 14. Good luck and enjoy it if you get it!

I traded my 5.56/223 for 2000 rounds of .30... Thanks to the classifieds here at :ingo: !

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    If you buy a genuine USGI and later decide to sell it, chances are you can get more than you originally paid for it if you take care of it.
    Just be careful when you buy a USGI about head space and barrel/muzzle condition, as a lot of them you run across have been worked pretty hard.

The one I'm bidding on was re-arsenaled at Fabrique Armes Terni (Italy) in 1968 and looks like it's in great shape. Now if I can just win the auction!

Top Bottom