• ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Hello good people of INGO. I have been toying with the idea of getting rid of my AR-15. But with that being said, I don't want to leave a gaping hole in my safe :):. So I got to thinking... IF I were to get rid of it (sell, trade, whatever), what would be a basic equivalent?

My reason for getting rid of it is, although it's a nice shooter, lightweight, accurate, etc., I just get no joy from it. I've never really warmed up to "plastic guns". I know, I know, it's a tool, does what it's designed to do, etc., but it just leaves me flat when I shoot it. I also already own an AK, which I do enjoy shooting, so I have my SHTF rifle already. I'm not going to get into the AR vs. AK discussion here.

So, after much consideration, I got to thinking... What (besides another AK) would be a good "equivalent" if you will. Being a fan of old milsurp rifles like I am, the M1 Carbine came to mind. I've always wanted an M1 carbine, but ammo was expensive, hard to find, etc., but now with the price of 5.56 being what it is, ammo cost is pretty much equal. Am I going to find .30 carbine lying on the ground if the zombies come? No, probably not, but again, I've got the AK. Am I going to need to take 400 yard shots? Probably not, and I've got other rifles that are much better suited for that than even the AR. Pricewise, both rifles seem to be similar too. So really, it comes down to "What am I going to enjoy shooting more?" Sure, I'd love to have an M1-A, but that's not in the budget right now.

I know I don't want a reproduction of an M1. I want a genuine GI version. My AR-15 isn't a top-shelf rifle, so I know I won't be able to buy/trade for a top-shelf M1. That's okay. I want a shooter. Don't really want one that's beat to heck, but it doesn't have to be mint either. Really trying to keep things even, so what are my choices as far as the "brand" of M1? As for ammo, I'm guessing I have around 2K-ish rounds of 5.56 (mostly) and .223. Probably have 10 or 12 mags, including at least half dozen or so P-Mags.

So INGO, am I nuts? Is this a reasonable line of thought or am I totally bonkers for even considering this?

Next, here are some pictures of my AR... I didn't build it, so I probably don't even truly know what I have. I know it's a Rock River lower, a Magpul grip and I think it might be a Colt upper, but again, I really have no idea, so I'm looking for input here too - what have I got? It's a pencil barrel, 16" (I think), chrome-lined, 1/7 twist. Optic is just a cheap red dot. Not sure of the brand on the iron sights. Here are the pics:

IMG_2236_zps02422b40.jpg

IMG_2242_zpsba97af26.jpg

IMG_2241_zps9d0c8c94.jpg

IMG_2240_zps95273a32.jpg

IMG_2239_zps8fd3b08d.jpg

IMG_2238_zpsb9656419.jpg

IMG_2243_zpsc489370a.jpg

IMG_2237_zps1e2b1c30.jpg

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Just buy what you like. Life is too short to worry about whether you're making the optimal decision on these things. Chances are you'll get a lot more enjoyment shooting what you like than you'll ever have to worry about an honest-to-goodness SHTF, zombie attacking, country collapsing emergency.

I think there's still a M-1 or two for sale in the classifieds now...like this one:

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...-shotguns/308570-m1-carbine-inland-steel.html

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Doc, I have no clue about the 6/3... Hoping someone can tell me more!

GFGT, That's kind of my thoughts too, but I'd like to kind of keep things even as far as value/worth go, so that's why I'm A) Wanting to know what I have, and B) wanting to know what brand/variant of M1 I can expect to get that would be pretty even.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Doc, I have no clue about the 6/3... Hoping someone can tell me more!

GFGT, That's kind of my thoughts too, but I'd like to kind of keep things even as far as value/worth go, so that's why I'm A) Wanting to know what I have, and B) wanting to know what brand/variant of M1 I can expect to get that would be pretty even.

2-3 years ago I got the itch for a M-1 Carbine...always wanted one. I decided to buy one of the Kahr/Auto Ordinance reproductions and have been quite happy with it. I considered buying a GI version but quite frankly, the price ranges and the continuum of manufacturers/condition/etc intimidated me. On the low end, you can buy a shooter but the conditions were suspect...then the nicer ones would of course be higher in $$$...Then I wondered how I would know what I was getting for my money--if I were paying too much. Of course finding actual units to compare side-by-side, in real life, is rare. Maybe you're more savvy than me, so some of these issues wouldn't be of such a concern. i probably paid too much but I don't ever plan to sell it anyway so....

Good luck and happy shooting.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    2-3 years ago I got the itch for a M-1 Carbine...always wanted one. I decided to buy one of the Kahr/Auto Ordinance reproductions and have been quite happy with it. I considered buying a GI version but quite frankly, the price ranges and the continuum of manufacturers/condition/etc intimidated me. On the low end, you can buy a shooter but the conditions were suspect...then the nicer ones would of course be higher in $$$...Then I wondered how I would know what I was getting for my money--if I were paying too much. Of course finding actual units to compare side-by-side, in real life, is rare. Maybe you're more savvy than me, so some of these issues wouldn't be of such a concern. i probably paid too much but I don't ever plan to sell it anyway so....

Good luck and happy shooting.

Thanks! Well, I don't know how savvy I am, :): but I do like old milsurp stuff in general, and you're right, there are a lot of things to consider! But then again, for me, that's half the fun - the history, etc.. :) I figure the AR should be worth about what I would be willing to pay for the rifle - so that's my spending limit, if you will. Part of what I'd like to find out here is, what's a realistic "worth" that I can expect for an AR like mine? I paid about 800 for just the rifle back in 2010, so kind of when the prices from Obamascare 1 were starting to subside a little.

Last edited:

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    202   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    DD, you do have a Colt upper with a pencil barrel. The 6/3 stands for 600 meters and 300 meters. One of the advantages of the A2 sight when it came out, you would obtain Battle sight Zero which is 300 meters, I believe the 6/3 should be spun around to the other side of the sight where it lines up with the line above the sight wheel, you would then count clicks to adjust for different yardage. But to be honest the sight you have looks like a cheaper UTG sight. In my opinion, I would just put a quality flip-up on it and get rid of the bolt on A2 and the cheap red dot.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    202   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    DD, have you considered a nice lever gun? When American guns was still on the air, they did an episode of a lever gun set up like a "scout" rifle, they called it a Zombie gun.
    Or the Ruger Gunsite rifle, bolt action, light weight. But with either of those, ammo cost would be the deterrent.
    But either of them could be fun. I myself have shot and owned many AR's, they do seem to loose their "fun factor", in fact I have one up for sale or trade myself.
    I am trying to build up my handguns, so my primary trade interests right now are quality handguns.

Good luck with which ever way you go, and yes I think $800 if a fair price for your rifle.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Thanks for the info guys! I wasn't thinking of that re: the 6/3. That makes sense.

223Gunner I'm guessing that your vote is that I actually keep the AR? :):

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    202   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    Thanks for the info guys! I wasn't thinking of that re: the 6/3. That makes sense.

223Gunner I'm guessing that your vote is that I actually keep the AR? :):

No, not necessarily. I'm not sure of your age, but me being 48, I've realized that there are a lot of guns I would like to own and shoot, before I can't anymore. If you don't enjoy it, get rid of it, there is a metric ton of AR's on the market, you could always get another one if you miss it too much.
    Have you considered a nice .223 AK? That way you could keep your current ammo supply, and you wouldn't have to feel bad about shooting steel cased ammo out of it. This is my hobby, if I get rid of one or two, I like to replace them with something else.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    202   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    I just checked your profile, you have me by a few years, there are all kinds of possibilities. Mini 14, one with a nice wood stock, they resemble an M1 Garand as I'm sure you know.
    The down side to them is the price of factory mags, which you just about have to use, as any after market mag for those rifles rarely work.

JTScribe

Chicago Typewriter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    I have both, I guess it just depends on your taste. M-1 has to my judgement a bit more felt recoil. Ammo isn't horrible; I've found steel-cased Herter's ammo @ Cabela's for $19/50. Brass cases are closer to 50c/round. Why not do both?

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    I have them all, M1 Garand, M1A-M21, M1 Carbine, AR-15 light barrel in M4 configureation with Aimpoint PRO much like yours but my go-to rifle is the M1 Carbine.
    It was the only WWII semi-auto that I didn't have untill I came across one and I just had to have it and I was fortunate to be able to buy it at a very good price.
    I didn't due well with the adjustable G.I. peep sights in poor light at my age so I bought a UltiMAK, Picatinney handguard replacement rail and mounted a 45mm red dot sight on it and that made it my fovorite go-to rifle.
    I've got a stock mounted 2- 15 round mag pouch on it, a 15 rounder in the mag well and 2-30 rounders in my back pockets. That's 105 rounds at the ready.
    The AR-15 sends a 55 gr. bullet downrange at about 2900 fps I think, whereas the .30 Carbine sends a 110 gr bullet downrange at just shy of 2000 fps. I think the M1 Carbine is good out to no more than 300 yds/mtrs whereas the AR-15 is good out to about 600 yrds/mtrs.
    One of the downsides of the .30 Carbine was the full metal jacket bullet but Hornady has fixed that with their 110 gr. FTX bullet.
    Yes! I'm like you, I have always liked the wood and metal rifles and I love all of mine, especially the .30 cal. M1 Carbine.
    Oh yeah, the picture.

Last edited:

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    M1 carbines are way cool, just wish ammo had more availability. If it's wood you like, why not just throw some nice IWD furniture on that AR? Certainly improves the looks and would then have the warm soulful feel of wood.

GunSlinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 20, 2011
    Right here.
    I totally agree with flightsimmer's assessment of the M1 Carbine. Out of all of my rifles without a doubt my M1 Carbine is my favorite. It's light weight, accurate, very reliable, military history galore (I wish it could talk), and just a hoot to shoot. It's not really difficult to find a USGI carbine unless you're looking for a collector grade matching carbine, and then you'll likely spend north of 2g's to buy it. Mine is not a collector grade...it's a shooter. It's been through the arsenal rebuild and it's made up of Saginaw, Inland, Winchester parts, and even has a Springfield rear adjustable milled rear sight...a dog from every county. I wouldn't consider selling or trading it for anything...well maybe except the M2 selectable full auto carbine :rockwoot: I've found a 1943 Case M4 bayonet and M8 (early style) scabbard and it's an awesome sight to see when in full up dress.

There are two in the classifieds right now, one of which is a Korean Blue Sky re-import, the other a re-arsenaled Inland (which if I remember correctly is a CMP carbine). Blue Sky has earned somewhat of a rough reputation, but that because when they brought them back from Korea they had been rode hard and put up wet...stocks had taken a beating, some of the barrels had been shot out, rust, and just plain worn out by the Korean military...but not all. There are a bunch of Korean/Blue Sky repatriated carbine that were well maintained and are well worth buying. If you can get your hands on a CMP carbine (rebuilt by the CMP) your highly likely to find a fair to excellent rifle. Make sure to verify it has been through the CMP and has the paperwork to back it up.

Modern day M1 carbines are not a bad alternative, and the prices are holding up even in the used market, but do your homework and research. There are still a lot of surplus USGI parts out there and these parts have been used in manufacturing the modern M1's, but usually it's not major components. Because of this some USGI parts are not compatible with modern carbines.

You can still find a nice USGI M1 Carbine for around the 800.00 to 900.00 price range, but it's getting tougher. Heck, even the CMP has a very low supply of them and they are only sold by CMP auction (average price about 1,500. to 1,800.00).

Here's a great website you can use as a reference for more info...you can spend hours there just reading about the various M1 carbines and derivatives. The gentleman that owns the site has devoted countless hours of investigation and research into the M1...and it shows especially for the post war commercial manufactures. M1CarbinesInc.com

For what it's worth and for as much as I do enjoy my AR I'd sell it long before I'd sell my M1 Carbine. I don't think you'd regret buying and M1...especially since you're also a mil-surp enthusiast. Get a USGI M1 Carbine "War Baby" :yesway:

Top Bottom