• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    TL : DR - Just because it is legal, doesn't make it a good idea... but it doesn't necessarily make it a bad one either.

Agreed, and for the record I've never said its a bad idea. I've said be prepared for the attention it will bring you, including the negative attention.

The guy in Oregon you are talking about is apparently making it a major part of his life, most folks simply aren't willing to make that investment.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    I get caught openly kissing my guns in public all the time. I don't care who sees me. Someday this will be socially acceptable. :dunno:

Ohhh - OK

Gee223

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2009
    If I carry mine in public, it's in a guitar case. Yes it's legal, but it still could draw soon unwanted attention (aka- bad touch).

JJP8153

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 23, 2012
    Marion, IN
    Sorry if this has already been brought up or if im in the wrong forums.. but i saw a picture of a man recently carrying an AR-15.. might have been utah. but i was doing some looking around and was wanting to know if we in Indina can carry one... couldnt find anything on carrying a rifle, license or not, and can it be loaded. Someone said that i could be arrested for disturbing the peace. Indiana does not have a "Disturbing the peace" only a noise ordinance in towns and Disorderly Conduct.. Any Help Please

Why would you want to in this day and age? Because of the media thousands of people are terrified of weapons, and if some guy comes along carrying the infamous "assault weapon" lots of attention will be given to you, and none of it good.

Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

Paul30

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    A handgun open carried might be overlooked, a long gun is going to cause a lot of concern from all around you. That's how a lot of the public will see it. If someone wants to educate the public about open carry, an open carry handgun might get you that conversation. The rifle will likely just scare them off.

To those who say if you don't exercise a right you will lose it, it has been dormant so long, you may exercise it and make the public aware of "a loophole" that needs closed in their eyes. I have seen it in a few situations. One state had no law against hunting supressed. A person in another state wanted to get a law changed in their state to allow it, and called the wildlife department in a state that had no law against it to prove how it was not a problem. Althought it was not a problem and had not one misuse, a law was quickly passed in the state that allowed hunting suppressed. Now neither state can hunt suppressed. Be careful what you ask for, the nail sticking up is the one that gets pounded down.

Many officers handcuff first, put you on the ground, run a check on you, until they verify you aren't just some nut. They are not always calm, and they many times carry a glock with the finger a the primary safety. Nervous finger on the trigger, sometimes doesn't work out so well. Here is a short clip of a cop who accidentally fires at a suspect while being cuffed by another cop.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOI9ahGxMfk[/ame]

Last edited:

Indiana Camper

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2012
    Westfield
    I saw a man walking with a cell up to his head (not paying any attention) at the Indy 1500 and in the other hand, a AK-47, what got my attention was in had a MAG in it.
    def took a double take.

There were many rifles with mags in them at the gun show, including my AK-47. Mine was empty and for sale. I assume the others were also.

LuckyOne

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 8, 2013
    Parke County, IN
    Paul30 has an excellent point concerning the reaction of LEOs. Also one should consider the reaction of CC citizens. The reaction of a concerned CC citizen to a man with a carrying a Long Gun openly in a mall could be just as deadly as the reaction of an over anxious LEO.

browning84

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2012
    That is a crazy video.. If i were to carry in public I think I would have to have someone video me at all times.. Hey maybe the state will just get me my lisence to carry after seven months and I can stop posting in this thread.

Hammerhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    And Rosa Parks should have just gotten up and moved to the back of the bus.

The carry of long guns is legal. The carry of a loaded long gun is legal. The carry of a loaded, chambered long gun is legal.

I have personally advocated recently that firearms owners need to stop cowering behind the "the public will be offended" and "just because you can..." BS arguments. Nobody has the right to not be offended, and you absolutely can, so just do so.

Bad things happen. You can't be afraid to act how you wish just because some other person does something wrong. This is why personal responsibility has been all but lost. We don't stand up and do as we wish, demanding that we not be lumped in with criminals.

The oc of long arms is commonplace in Israel. I realize that they face danger regularly. Well, apparently so do we. Carrying at a rally is a good start, but it's not enough. If we're only exercising our rights when we're "showing support/protesting" then we're not really exercising our rights.

We have idiots as elected representatives right this minute doing everything they can to ban the very rifles we should be carrying with us daily not only because they were used in a few crimes lately, but also because we don't stand up together and say "Enough! If you attempt to ban them, we're going to start carrying them and will keep carrying them, and we will never give up carrying them."

balzack2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2012
    South of Ft Wayne
    With all the recent incidents around the nation, we as a community need to be vigilant as to how we portray ourselves. While the law does not state we cannot carry a rifle in the manner in the story, a little common sense would go a long way. To do it just because it's your right may not be in your best interest. It's a sad fact that the libratards have labeled many rifles as "assault weapons" and because of that when these are seen in public people freak out. Guess what I'm trying to say is just be smart about things.

Last edited:

KW730

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2012
    With all the recent incidents around the nation, we as a community need to be vigilant as to how we portray ourselves. While the law does not state we cannot carry a rifle in the manner in the story, a little common sense would go a long way. To do it just because it's your right may not be in your best interest. It's a sad fact that the libratards have labeled many rifles as "assault weapons" and because of that when these are seen in public people freak out. Guess what I'm trying to say is just be smart about things.

^ See v

The carry of long guns is legal. The carry of a loaded long gun is legal. The carry of a loaded, chambered long gun is legal.

I have personally advocated recently that firearms owners need to stop cowering behind the "the public will be offended" and "just because you can..." BS arguments. Nobody has the right to not be offended, and you absolutely can, so just do so.

Bad things happen. You can't be afraid to act how you wish just because some other person does something wrong. This is why personal responsibility has been all but lost. We don't stand up and do as we wish, demanding that we not be lumped in with criminals.

The oc of long arms is commonplace in Israel. I realize that they face danger regularly. Well, apparently so do we. Carrying at a rally is a good start, but it's not enough. If we're only exercising our rights when we're "showing support/protesting" then we're not really exercising our rights.

We have idiots as elected representatives right this minute doing everything they can to ban the very rifles we should be carrying with us daily not only because they were used in a few crimes lately, but also because we don't stand up together and say "Enough! If you attempt to ban them, we're going to start carrying them and will keep carrying them, and we will never give up carrying them."

wally05

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Sometimes, though, if you want to get stuff done, you don't want to come across as an ahole. You can at least be a little sensitive to someone else's feelings about the whole thing. Ramming it down people's throats won't get it done.

LanceRobbins24

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    South Bend

^^^THIS^^^

I'm so tired of the left constantly throwing things from their agenda in the publics face and the conservatives tiptoeing around as to not offend people. Its time for us to be strong and stand up for our God given rights. It's not commonplace to see someone with a long gun in public...So....if someone wants to make it their goal to make it so it is more "socially acceptable", then do it. Be educated and don't be a jackhole to any responding officers.

I carry my pistol openly and don't mind interacting with those that are curious or have questions about MY PREFERED METHOD OF CARRY. I feel like I have been a positive reflection of the gun owning community with everyone I've been in contact with about my firearm. They see me out and about with my wife and my young children and see the gun doesn't jump out and kill anyone...+1 for the good guys.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom