• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thatgtrguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    The thing about having is strapped to your back the way the guy in Utah did that concerns me is that anyone can walk up behind him and take control of the weapon.

Bad juju IMO.

JAFO

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 16, 2012
    Never heard the "two actions" rule... any definition on what those are?
    Like 1) remove mag from pocket 2) insert mag??
    What is loaded?
    Just interested.. love the variations from state to state.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF
    I hear you.... Just want to know what I can and cant do.. and also can it be loaded.. Is there any laws on this

If you're this unsure of the law and your rights, you may wish to defer open carry of long guns until you can at least discuss the matter with responding officers. :twocents:

echoagain

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    To my knowledge, it would be perfectly legal for me to walk around downtown Indy carrying an AR, but I wouldn't be doing myself, or the gun community any favors by doing so. The fact is, a lot of people who may not be gun enthusiasts are at least sympathetic to our 2nd amendment rights. Unfortunately, some of the 'in your face' open carrying that people engage in are a real turn-off to people who would otherwise be on our side.

TheUziButton

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    There was lots of AR-15 carrying in public last weekend...
    INGAA_02.jpg

INGAA_05.jpg

INGAA_08.jpg

INGAA_22.jpg

INGAA_24.jpg

INGAA_25.jpg

INGAA_32.jpg

More pictures here...
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/the_legislation_of_the_2nd_amendment/263564-at_the_gun_appreciation_day_indy_statehouse-17.html

Loc n load

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2013
    Long guns - open carry

Yes you can.....but understand that citizens are going to call the police....with current events understandably so.......and the police will respond....in response to calls from citizens .....and it will be a "man (or woman) with a gun" call...which is something nobody really likes to respond to( and they probably won't come alone).....by doing this you are pulling several units off their patrol for no reason - probably making them run signal 10 which endangers folks, for no other reason than you are exercising your right to make bad decisions. And you are NOT doing legal gun owners any good, by "demonstrating" your legal right when you do this.

Last edited:

Hwseeker

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Having the ability does not necessarily mean that you should. I would not push the envelope, especially right now.

Remember, if that voice in the back of your head says, "Man, I wouldn't do that if I were you"....Don't!

You may be bright, but the public is not always so.

Case in point....some on duty plain clothes detectives at a Denny's in Kentucky were recently told to leave the restaurant by a manager because a customer was "afraid" and complained to the management.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Yes you can.....but understand that citizens are going to call the police....with current events understandably so.......and the police will respond....in response to calls from citizens .....and it will be a "man (or woman) with a gun" call...which is something nobody really likes to respond to( and they probably won't come alone).....by doing this you are pulling several units off their patrol for no reason - probably making them run signal 10 which endangers folks, for no other reason than you are exercising your right to make bad decisions. And you NOT doing legal gun owners any good, by "demonstrating" your legal right when you do this.

The people calling the police are the ones who call the police for no reason because they are uneducated when it comes to gun laws. :dunno:

msr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 25, 2011
    Indianapolis - Broad Ripple
    When rights aren't exercised, they go from normal to abnormal, abnormal to strange, strange to taboo, taboo to unaccepted, unaccepted to outlawed. I'd say we're in the unaccepted stage, but what's it going to take to change that? The more people that OC a rifle and engage their citizens in the conversations that can be produced because of it, the more the trend line starts moving back in the normal direction. That doesn't mean to do it flippantly or without discretion, but I'm all for it.

Loc n load

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2013
    Uneducated

People packing around AR's is not the "norm" in our society.....citizen's are going to see some "loon with a gun" and call the police.....the Responding officer's are not going to be amused or open to being "educated" by you when you start extolling your legal rights.....people need to use some common sense, instead of making problems for everybody concerned, that is totally unnecessary... I am not going to debate this....if you feel the need, strap your AR on and take off down the street and let us know how it shakes out for you. Film at 6 o'clock.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    When rights aren't exercised, they go from normal to abnormal, abnormal to strange, strange to taboo, taboo to unaccepted, unaccepted to outlawed. I'd say we're in the unaccepted stage, but what's it going to take to change that? The more people that OC a rifle and engage their citizens in the conversations that can be produced because of it, the more the trend line starts moving back in the normal direction. That doesn't mean to do it flippantly or without discretion, but I'm all for it.

So, the best way to try and get gay marriage accepted would be for two guys to routinely kiss in public, right? That way the people who are against it would engage them in a conversation about their public display of affection and be converted to their cause. Seeing gay kissing all over town would make it normal, and soon they'd get the legislation they want.

...right?

Again, just because you can do something doesn't mean you should. If you want to, knock yourself out, but you aren't doing the gun community in favors and be prepared for negative attention.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    People packing around AR's is not the "norm" in our society.....citizen's are going to see some "loon with a gun" and call the police.....the Responding officer's are not going to be amused or open to being "educated" by you when you start extolling your legal rights.....people need to use some common sense, instead of making problems for everybody concerned, that is totally unnecessary... I am not going to debate this....if you feel the need, strap your AR on and take off down the street and let us know how it shakes out for you. Film at 6 o'clock.
    The police should already know the laws they wish to enforce:dunno:
    call me crazy

browning84

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2012
    i see gay people kissing and holding hands often.. and they gay marriage thing is becoming popular so... i think it works.. and I do believe that people seeing a guy with a gun shouldnt be such a bad thing, and call the cops. Put me on the Ch 6 news and when they ask me why im carrying a loaded AR, I will tell them because the state of indiana has so far taken 6 months to get me my LTCH. They say its do to the influx of applications since the election.. I do believe i sent mine in well before the election. anyway....

msr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 25, 2011
    Indianapolis - Broad Ripple
    So, the best way to try and get gay marriage accepted would be for two guys to routinely kiss in public, right? That way the people who are against it would engage them in a conversation about their public display of affection and be converted to their cause. Seeing gay kissing all over town would make it normal, and soon they'd get the legislation they want.

...right?

Again, just because you can do something doesn't mean you should. If you want to, knock yourself out, but you aren't doing the gun community in favors and be prepared for negative attention.

It depends on your moral viewpoint, because homosexuality (to me) is a moral argument, whereas open carrying of long rifles is not. Someone else might claim that open carry is a moral argument but IMO that's a pretty big stretch. And as far as that goes, we've seen the last 50 years produce the inverse effect (of my original statement) as homosexuality in our culture has gone from unaccepted to just about normal now. I understand what you're saying as far as the whole "just because it is legal doesn't make it a good idea", believe me I do, but on the issue of open carry I don't think it is a bad idea. There is a YouTuber that goes by the name MarkedGuardian who open carries his AR all over Oregon. He documents his OC walks and his police interactions as well as interactions with people who ask him about his AR. He's done it so much now that the police know about him and many of them know him by name. I don't believe everyone should just strap on their EBG and start strolling through town decked out in Tacticool gear, but I do think it can be done in a way that is helpful in getting the message of responsible gun ownership out.

TL : DR - Just because it is legal, doesn't make it a good idea... but it doesn't necessarily make it a bad one either.

Top Bottom