Not open for further replies.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    267   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    I like it T-DOGG. Nicely done. I just pulled the barrel out of my 300BLK AR Pistol to paint it black. I'll have to post a glamour shot tomorrow...

Teaser Pic:

Thank you. I'm planning on upgrading a few things over time on it, but wanted to keep it low cost and simple to start out being my first AR pistol build. I wanted to make sure I liked the platform before getting in balls deep with higher cost or upgraded parts. I like that 300 blackout upper you have as well. I love that round, just wish the cost would come down for the ammo.

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    Just got my first Sig Brace today. Definitely makes my AR feel like a whole nother animal. I'm hitting the range Sunday with this baby for sure.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Your front sight is on backwards...........

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    It wont fold closed the other way. I thought I had researched that before I mounted it. Dang it I made a rookie mistake I guess. Thanks!

Don't worry, after you sell it in he classifieds I'll fix it.

Seriously though, you did a nice job with that "pistol". That thing should serve you well for a long time.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    It wont fold closed the other way. I thought I had researched that before I mounted it. Dang it I made a rookie mistake I guess. Thanks!

Some food for thought---

Is your front sight designed to be mounted on a free-float rail? Or is it designed to be mounted on a railed gas block? I ask because there is a height difference between the two options. That may be your issue. Or it could just be the Mapgul forend gets in the way of it folding properly.

JTScribe

Chicago Typewriter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    Thank you. It looks great! I want to do something similar (as far as color goes) for my next build. I love my all black AR but the next build is gonna have some fashion as well as (long range) function. :)

This thread is oh-so-inspiring. It's so hard to save money when I've got hobbies like this.

Anyhow, here is a photo I took of mine over the weekend. It's an AR15 in it's natural habitat:

oQ8zBvZ.jpg

l1FgxCT.jpg

Nothing all that special. Pretty run of the mill minus the Spikes BCG, Midwest Industries front sight and INGO dustcover. The rest is pretty much the same as most low-end builds.

Heh, I think I have that exact same bipod. Haven't shot with it yet, do you like it? Also looks like you're at Crosley - I need to head down there sometime and check out the upgrades.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    267   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Your front sight is on backwards...........

Don't worry, after you sell it in he classifieds I'll fix it.

Seriously though, you did a nice job with that "pistol". That thing should serve you well for a long time.

Some food for thought---

Is your front sight designed to be mounted on a free-float rail? Or is it designed to be mounted on a railed gas block? I ask because there is a height difference between the two options. That may be your issue. Or it could just be the Mapgul forend gets in the way of it folding properly.
    Well, it turns out I did research this before I mounted it and according to the manufacturer's website I have it mounted correctly.
    Please don't pistol whip me for using UTG, it actually locks up solid.

@esrice, they sell two styles, and I bought the one for "regular height" gas block MNT751 (which sits lower than the upper receiver's rail). The other one they sell is "handguard" height MNT751L and would mount to a gas block or rail that is the same height as the upper receiver's rail.

@teddy12b, I had a talk with my inner self and told him to stop selling off my guns. He said that he would work on that. I have my doubts :(

Leapers, Inc. - Hunting/Shooting, Sporting Goods and Security Gear

MNT_751_APP_1.jpg

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    @esrice, they sell two styles, and I bought the one for "regular height" gas block MNT751 (which sits lower than the upper receiver's rail). The other one they sell is "handguard" height MNT751L and would mount to a gas block or rail that is the same height as the upper receiver's rail.

Looking online it appears you are correct-- UTG does recommend the front site to be mounted as you have it. It goes against every other manufacturers' recommendation, however, so I can see where folks spot it as backwards. Stranger still is the way that UTG has profiled the protective "ears". They've done it backwards from what is traditionally seen on fixed FSBs. I'm sure that adds to the visual confusion.

M16-carbine-cutaway-1.jpg

But if it works, then it works!

dhamby

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Crawfordsville area
    I like the look of that so far. Clean, simple, and good contrast with the FDE items. Good job!

Sweet looking rig! I agree I like the clean look to it. Well done.

Thanks. This is my favorite build I have done. The feel of this is very nice so far, may need to add the extended pad to the stock but I will see about that when my scope comes back and it's finished.

dhamby

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Crawfordsville area
    Got the comp and dust cover.

Specs:
    Mag Tactical Lower
    Umbrella Corp minimalist LPK
    Strike Industries ambi safety
    RRA 2stage trigger
    Magpul fixed carbine stock
    Tactical Link EBAL
    CMT billet Ultra Precision Upper Receiver (UPUR)2
    Troy 11.0 TRX Extreme Battle Rail
    Strike Industries JComp
    Strike Industries "don't tread on me" dust cover
    BCM mod 4 charging handle
    Odin Works 16.1" 1:8 twist SS barrel

Last edited:

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    267   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Looking online it appears you are correct-- UTG does recommend the front site to be mounted as you have it. It goes against every other manufacturers' recommendation, however, so I can see where folks spot it as backwards. Stranger still is the way that UTG has profiled the protective "ears". They've done it backwards from what is traditionally seen on fixed FSBs. I'm sure that adds to the visual confusion.

M16-carbine-cutaway-1.jpg

But if it works, then it works!
    It works for now, but I am planning on upgrading that sight and the gas block down the road with something more streamlined and better visually appealing. Thank you for the info you provided.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom