• Status
    Not open for further replies.

thecolter

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 14, 2010
    Indiana
    Kind of a re-post. I did some additional post processing and was happy with how it turned out.

14912847479_dfc65235d9_h.jpg

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    Just finished building this SR-25 as a gift to my dad.
    Aero Precision upper/lower
    Mega 18" barrel
    Midwest Industries SS12G2 308 rail
    YHM .30 cal QD titanium
    BCM Gunfighter 7.62 Mod3
    Geissele G2S

Last edited:

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    For a 308, not really. AR-10 use special BCGs, threads are different on the receiver, barrel extensions are different, same as the gas tube.

meh. all stuff you can't see. Armalite's lawyers did a good job reversing the common use of their product name not just among the manufactures but among the masses, too. years ago "AR-10" was used pretty generically. Kleenex uses proprietary paper and lotions but internet nose blowers don't get all hyped up about protecting their good name. Hand non-gun people an "AR-10" and an "LR-308" as well as a kleenex and off-brand tissue, and they are more likely to spot the differences in the tissues.... by that notion, we shouldn't call piston ARs "AR-15."

-rvb

Last edited:

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    meh. all stuff you can't see. Armalite's lawyers did a good job reversing the common use of their product name not just among the manufactures but among the masses, too. years ago "AR-10" was used pretty generically. Kleenex uses proprietary paper and lotions but internet nose blowers don't get all hyped up about protecting their good name. Hand two non-gun people an "AR-10" and an "LR-308" as well as a kleenex and off-brand tissue, and they are more likely to spot the differences in the tissues.... by that notion, we shouldn't call piston ARs "AR-15."

-rvb

AR10s use different mags than the LR308/SR25 platform, that you can see.

As for the piston ARs, technically you're right, they shouldn't be called an AR-15, they should just be called an AR or AR platform. But every company who offers a piston tries very hard to distinguish themselves from other piston ARs. Sig has the 516/716, POF has the P415/P308, Ruger uses SR556/SR762, PWS uses MK1/MK2, etc. Those are the technical terms, it's us as consumers to properly identify them for what they are. Rock River is blatant that their 308 AR is not an AR-10 or a LR308, it's a completely different animal.

Clip vs. magazine, .45 Colt vs .45 long (cringe) Colt.

Permit vs. license.

Blanket terms are not correct, but we often use them and improperly call something it is not. I catch myself doing a lot (banana clip), but when there truly is a difference between platforms they need to be called what they are

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    AR10s use different mags than the LR308/SR25 platform, that you can see.

there are Armalite AR-10 variants that use LR308/SR25/whatever mags, too. They even sell PMAGS on their website.

Clip vs. magazine,

not quite the same, imo. .. we're talking about corporate brand names, not a technical term... it would be like calling all AR mags "pmags" .... an example which is not commonly accepted as a generic term.... or how down south all pop is "Coke," which is a commonly accepted term.

If Armalite hadn't sold the rights to "AR-15," maybe we would all be worried about the use of that term, too....

Anyone have a Kleexex?

-rvb

Last edited:

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    there are Armalite AR-10 variants that use LR308/SR25/whatever mags, too. They even sell PMAGS on their website.

Yup, AR-10A

not quite the same, imo. .. we're talking about corporate brand names, not a technical term... it would be like calling all AR mags "pmags" .... an example which is not commonly accepted as a generic term....

-rvb

These are technical terms though, there is a difference between an AR-10, LR308- AR-10A, LAR-8, etc.

Parts interchangeability on compatibility, even the cuts on the receivers are different

Anyway, should have a new addition to my 308 AR by the end of next week. Will post pics

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    These are technical terms though, there is a difference between an AR-10, LR308- AR-10A, LAR-8, etc.

Parts interchangeability on compatibility, even the cuts on the receivers are different

There are also technical differences in AR-15s.... things like receiver dimensions and parts compatability issues show up in AR-15s all the time... VLTOR, Noveske, Mossberg, JP, etc. There are compatability issues between commercial and mil spec and proprietary REs/stocks. and compatability issues w/ handguards and receivers and gas systems, etc, etc.

Do you feel this way about whether I call a VLTOR AR an "AR-15" even though it uses it's proprietary A5 RE/buffer? Or a noveske upper which won't work with some handguards? do I have to call a RRA AR an "LAR-15?"

The only difference is there is not a company standing up protecting "AR-15" as a brand name, suing other companies for using the term...
    The lawyers have won. Had Armalite not sold the AR-15 rights, I bet we'd be having the same conversation about the use of that therm....

I'm still collecting parts for my "AR-10"

-rvb

Booya

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Fort Fun
    Yup, AR-10A

Anyway, should have a new addition to my 308 AR by the end of next week. Will post pics

I was goin to type a lengthy response to this, but just accidentally cut my finger. I need to go get a small beige colored, adhesive bandage. The box doesn't say Johnson & Johnson so I'm not sure to call this thing, it's certainly not a Bandaid. :laugh:

(I'll add pics to this comment later!)

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom