• Status
    Not open for further replies.

SpaldingPM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    My first AR-15.

Just a friendly suggestion... move that AGF up to the end of the rail. The farther up your hand is and the more sturdy grip you have (thumb over the top of the rail, fingers along the side, with a firm grip) will provide quicker target acquisition, especially with a red dot sight. Looks like you have it set up for "QCQ."

Thats a huge advantage of a full length rail, so you can have longer support hand reach placement.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    ^ I want proof that this support hand placement technique works. Not just some Internet instructor that says so but proof.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    CENTRAL
    Just a basic Carbine length flat-top 5.56/.223 AR with an 'A' frame front sight and flip up Mbus rear sight. I'd like to replace the hand guard with a longer hand guard and remove the A frame sight/ move it forward. Anderson Mfg lower, RRA LPK, Delton upper, chrome, not sure of barrel mfg. Lots to do.
    7FC32661-2145-45E9-8A13-D992A81FE510_zpsx6q7jobf.jpg

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    ^ I want proof that this support hand placement technique works. Not just some Internet instructor that says so but proof.

Go out and try it, don't be an armchair commando and internet troll.

If you have your hand back by the mag well you can tell when you transition that you overshoot and come back to your target (usually). With the support hand out further you can drive the muzzle to the target, and acquire a sight picture much quicker.

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    There are upsides and downsides to any technique. For me, moving out to the end of the rail is uncomfortable, blocks my peripheral vision on the left side and increases swing time. I place my grip about where a carbine fsb would be located. That works for me on almost any configuration.

SpaldingPM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013

well personally, I've run a couple timed silhouette matches between a few friends and I. I use to place my support hand midway or even up against the magwell. I started really reaching that support hand out to the full length of the rail to practice with that method and finesse the technique, and it really helped my 2nd and 3rd target change and acquisition, especially at distances exceeding 25yrds. This hold method does infact reduce tendency to over-travel the muzzle in any direction. Its really common physics. The longer reach you have on a long barrel, the faster you can acquire your target as the far support hand hold helps to offset the sometimes awkward weight balance of an AR with forward mounted accessories.. It works very well for me, as it does many others, but shoot how you shoot best. Just a suggestion to try thats been practiced by many experts in the field.

I always thought and still think it looks stupid as hell, but the function it provides is superior in any other hold method, for myself at least.

and speaking of internet instructors... 9/10 of them on youtube actually have extensive experience as an operator. Be careful who you choose to listen to, but when you find a good channel, they know what they're talking about and they can provide some valuable learning methods.

Last edited:

SpaldingPM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013

If you have your hand back by the mag well you can tell when you transition that you overshoot and come back to your target (usually). With the support hand out further you can drive the muzzle to the target, and acquire a sight picture much quicker.

exactly!

for room clearing... i wouldnt recommend it because it can get in the way like stated, but for wide range open quick acquisition, it's the method I'd always recommend.

Thats why you see a lot of special forces and or seals running 2 sets of grips... one out far on the rail, and another horizontal grip halfway to change it up when they have to get in real close.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Just a friendly suggestion... move that AGF up to the end of the rail. The farther up your hand is and the more sturdy grip you have (thumb over the top of the rail, fingers along the side, with a firm grip) will provide quicker target acquisition, especially with a red dot sight. Looks like you have it set up for "QCQ."

Thats a huge advantage of a full length rail, so you can have longer support hand reach placement.

I'll definitely try it out at various different placements to see what works. This was just the first position I put it in, mostly for looks. Have only shot it once and it was comfortable, but that was at fixed targets, straight in front of my position.

JStarr

Shooter
    Rating - 95%
    19   1   0
    Oct 11, 2011
    Portland
    Just a basic Carbine length flat-top 5.56/.223 AR with an 'A' frame front sight and flip up Mbus rear sight. I'd like to replace the hand guard with a longer hand guard and remove the A frame sight/ move it forward. Anderson Mfg lower, RRA LPK, Delton upper, chrome, not sure of barrel mfg. Lots to do.
    7FC32661-2145-45E9-8A13-D992A81FE510_zpsx6q7jobf.jpg

Looks as if your MBUIS are on backwards.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I'll definitely try it out at various different placements to see what works. This was just the first position I put it in, mostly for looks. Have only shot it once and it was comfortable, but that was at fixed targets, straight in front of my position.

I think you find you'll keep moving it out a little further each time and find that the farther out you put it, the more natural it feels. Honestly I'm not sure how your wrist can even make the grip angle that close to the magwell.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    exactly!

for room clearing... i wouldnt recommend it because it can get in the way like stated, but for wide range open quick acquisition, it's the method I'd always recommend.

Thats why you see a lot of special forces and or seals running 2 sets of grips... one out far on the rail, and another horizontal grip halfway to change it up when they have to get in real close.
    Seals .... Pfffff. :):

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    I had a pic when I first got this. But much has changed.
    DSA, 1:9 5.56. BAD lever, ACS Stock, YH Front flip sight/gasblock, NC Star scope with .223 DC.
    KD Rifleman with this setup this past Feb.

AR_DSA_zps88b83198.jpg

Franken build. M&P Lower/CMMG Parts Kit, PSA Upper 1:7, 5.56. YH Rear BUS, Eotech 512 from an INGOer
    AR_MampP_zps983a32c0.jpg

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy

I've tried it or I wouldn't have bashed on it. :p C clamp grip and a locked elbow is what doesn't work for me. It's not, if I can think of the correct word here, "kinesthetic" IMO. If it works for you then good. :yesway:

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom