Approached by officer while open carry (NE Ft Wayne)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • modelflyer2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Eastern Indiana
    I have a couple of questions. You mean to say that your first words weren't "Am I being detained?" and "I am recording this conversation. What is your name, officer?"
    Well done on both parties. The biggest dangers in the whole account are the take-out food and the drives to and from.

Sarge470

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Looks to me like it was well-handled. I'm surprised, considering the officer was a Ft. Wayne officer. Not the most carry-friendly department, but as this interaction shows, not every officer in that department is an idiot.

Patriot, I've already posted on this board that FWPD officers have been specifically briefed regarding open carry contacts and the right of citizens do do so. With that in mind, it would seem that Fort Wayne police officers are some of the more well-informed in the state regarding carry laws. On behalf of all of us, I'll accept your apology in advance.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Why the need to tag that on at the end? :dunno:

Seems like you just cancelled out the positives coming from the encounter
    . :twocents:

How so? Patriot made a sweeping generalization about officers in Ft. Wayne, and Sarge explained why his generalization was in error.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    He made his point in a professional manner. It made sense. But I felt the apology line just made him look arrogant, which is one of the complaints that is brought up over and over in negative LEO posts. IMO, he is playing to the generalization.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Patriot, I've already posted on this board that FWPD officers have been specifically briefed regarding open carry contacts and the right of citizens do do so. With that in mind, it would seem that Fort Wayne police officers are some of the more well-informed in the state regarding carry laws. On behalf of all of us, I'll accept your apology in advance.

Right on sarge470.

96firephoenix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Sounds like a good response to a MWAG call. I think you should follow up and call the guy's boss and let him know that you appreciated the courtesy.

Just for the sake of argument, he said "not the most carry-friendly dept.," not "not the most well-informed about carry dept." I don't know nor have I heard either way, but just pointing out what he said. /trolling

Sarge470

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I think it's probably safe to say that most problems with open-carry response from police officers is a lack of familiarity with the statutes that govern the carry of handguns in Indiana. When an officer appears unfriendly toward open carry, it's probably because his/her department has failed to expend the effort to train him/her in proper handling of the call, including protection of the citizen's rights under Indiana statutes. Our agency has demonstrated a commitment to the professional response of MWAG calls (as evidenced by the officer's response), by virtue of its dissemination of information to line officers and supervisors so the Philly fiasco is not repeated here. The sweeping and ill-informed generalization about to FWPD's relationship with law abiding gun owners is in error, and referring to its officers as idiots is uncalled for and offensive.

victor 1971

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2009
    The region
    Good story. I think you and the officer both did a great job. If you ever watched the program The Best Defense, you may be aware of how those confrontations can quickly turn sour. You are smooth and knowledgable.

Booya

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Fort Fun
    I think it's probably safe to say that most problems with open-carry response from police officers is a lack of familiarity with the statutes that govern the carry of handguns in Indiana. When an officer appears unfriendly toward open carry, it's probably because his/her department has failed to expend the effort to train him/her in proper handling of the call, including protection of the citizen's rights under Indiana statutes. Our agency has demonstrated a commitment to the professional response of MWAG calls (as evidenced by the officer's response), by virtue of its dissemination of information to line officers and supervisors so the Philly fiasco is not repeated here. The sweeping and ill-informed generalization about to FWPD's relationship with law abiding gun owners is in error, and referring to its officers as idiots is uncalled for and offensive.

I'm always taken aback slightly when I hear stories of FWPD getting all belligerent with OC'rs. I've never even been approached by a FWPD officer while carrying, and I've stood next to them in line, walked by them at gas stations 100 times. I generally CC, but not well. It's fairly obvious I have a weapon since I generally always wear T-shirts, but no officer has ever said anything to me even when I've OC'd. I tend to feel like the Fort is very carry friendly. Then again, I suppose they've never been responding to a MWAG call in regards to me.

Either way 2, :yesway::yesway: from me to the FWPD, this encounter seemed to go very well.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    If one had an opportunity to talk with the officer further, I wouldn't be a bit surprised if he thinks OC by uniformed officers is a bit different due to perceived officer presence/authority vs. LTCH holders or even officers out of uniform. FWIW, the officers I know CC when out of uniform. Sounds like a reasonably positive encounter.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I'd have sat down and debated OC vs CC with him for an hour or so, enjoying every second of it. :D

Of course, then I'd hear about it later for bringing home cold food. :(

But it sounds like a quick and civil discussion. Well done by both paties. :yesway:

I can only hope that whomever called in was still around to witness the complete non-issue that it was.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    It is not too late. His boss is Deputy Chief Davis. She can look up who it was in the system. You can also get a complaint form from IA and write it up, in this case a commendation, for his actions during the incident. That way, everybody is made aware of this positive interaction.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Come on guys, you expect me to believe there was a decent interaction with a LEO concerning MWAG. Hogwash.

Kudos to you and the responding officer. I think you both handled it well.

Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.

Were these responses part of the training?

A lot of people are intimidated when they see someone carrying a firearm or make you a target for someone wanting to take it away from you”

“I think to carry concealed would be smarter as it gives you the element of surprise.”

“I disagree”

Seems to me he is trying to coerce him to not OC.

Top Bottom