Anyone want to teach me how to assemble an AR lower this week?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Flintlock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2008
    Southeastern Indiana
    Just wondering if there was anyone in the Indy area who would be interested in helping me assemble my AR lower this week? Right now I'm planning on following directions from AR15.com and a few other sites, but having someone show me what each thing is and how to install it would be great. I don't have any tools in Indy with me, because I am just there during the week for school.

Anyways, let me know! Maybe I could buy you some wings from Buffalo Wild Wings for helping me out.

:ar15:

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    Sounds like we need another build party. I need to put one together all so. I could pitch in on some wings and beer and BACON!!!

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    153   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    I got my AR on trade fully built. I would love to strip it down to parts and attend a build party!

Raoc

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 6, 2009
    I'd love to help out. I've got the tools and a lower I could tear apart for the hell of it.

Indyvet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    I just finished building a lower. That was my third one. If I had time I would be happy to help. Time right now is my worst enemy. I have a couple of real good books on building you could borrow if you wanted to. Up to you. Right now time is my worst enemy. I would love to attend a build party. Might learn some new tricks. The best part of the whole build is when I put the front takedown pin, spring, and detent. Almost put my eye out once. Even bought a tool to make this easier and it did not function as it was supposed to and ended up holding it in place with a razor blade while I got the pin in. Fun times.

following2dp

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Fishers
    I've had that video on my Zune for over a year and a half now.
    Sometimes I'd watch it at work and I'd get the urge to build another lower, but I know I should save my money.

lol

muncie21

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2008
    I could help ya, but it's so easy that I'd feel bad about just watching you, while I drink the beer and wings you bought. :D

Flintlock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2008
    Southeastern Indiana
    Aw crap. That was easy. I assembled mine, in my dorm room, without a vice, and with a pair of needlenose pliers, an exacto knife to hold the takedown detent down, a screwdriver, a punch, and a chasing hammer (small hammer used for engraving). I just threw a few tools into a box to bring with me this week so if I got bored I could see what I could do, but I ended up assembling the entire thing in 30-40 minutes by following the video that was posted in this thread.

So I reccomend everyone to try it themselves. Not hard at all.
    :D

PS Will assemble lowers for Buffalo Wild Wings

IUalum

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    NE Indiana
    I use the vise grip method on the roll pins, check out the pics on the "build it yourself" forum on ar15.com

Start the pins with a needlenose and punch and then cover the vise grip teeth with tape and set the vise grips to just fit the distance of pin and receiver, then squezze, open adjust a 1/4 turn tighter, squeeze, open and repeat until the pin is in.

cordex

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 24, 2008
    I use the vise grip method on the roll pins, check out the pics on the "build it yourself" forum on ar15.com
    Agreed, wholeheartedly.

Also, the last few times I assembled a lower, I used a bolt of the same diameter as the takedown pin to hold the takedown pin detent in place by inserting it from the opposite side. Each time so far it has worked perfectly first attempt.

With those two tricks, the rest of the process is a cinch.

Top Bottom