Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area
    You don't lose money until you sell...
    ...You don't lose money until you sell...​
    ...You don't lose money until you sell...​

AlarmedFocusedHanumanmonkey-size_restricted.gif

Or it goes to zero. Or a hacker takes it. Or a government shuts it down.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Randy, it's all about timing - and it doesn't have to be that precise and you don't need to invest in vaporware

I bought GE in the low thirteens coming out of the crash, it still paid a respectable dividend at the time. My buy in was not the low point of the stock because I don't try to time markets. I waited for what I felt was a time when the stock was on a reliable upward trend and the price point made the dividend alone a reasonable rate of return on the investment

I rode the stock price until it began to invert, when a limit order sold automatically at a preset point. Having re-invested the dividends, I had gained slightly over 200 shares. My gross margin was over 220% and that averaged out to almost 13% for the entire period I held the stock

you don't get rich quick (almost no one ever does) but you get rich reliably

Rome something something day

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    Randy, it's all about timing - and it doesn't have to be that precise and you don't need to invest in vaporware

I bought GE in the low thirteens coming out of the crash, it still paid a respectable dividend at the time. My buy in was not the low point of the stock because I don't try to time markets. I waited for what I felt was a time when the stock was on a reliable upward trend and the price point made the dividend alone a reasonable rate of return on the investment

I rode the stock price until it began to invert, when a limit order sold automatically at a preset point. Having re-invested the dividends, I had gained slightly over 200 shares. My gross margin was over 220% and that averaged out to almost 13% for the entire period I held the stock

you don't get rich quick (almost no one ever does) but you get rich reliably

Rome something something day

What do you think about GE now? I have been kicking around buying some for my old fart account (which is coming in about 10-15 years). Will they ever come back or are they the next Sears. I use to go by gut on a lot of my stocks, but since I have started following the pros who do technical & fundamental indicators, I have become amazed. Them guys make some amazing calls. Everything I am hearing right now has me in mostly cash and day trades, sounds like the SHTF is only a matter of when, not if. The old dreaded death cross came in yesterday. I think we have a rough stretch coming up soon. My biggest fear is all the people buying 200K-400K houses, we don't need a repeat of last housing crisis. Truthfully though, I think we are in as bad of shape now as we were then. Maybe not any 125% LTV mortgages....but when values drop 25%, they could quickly be one. Dollar for dollar, nothing seems different.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I am not a financial advisor and don't want you to take advice from some random guy on the internet who does not have fiduciary responsibility

That being said, I think for someone to really pull GE back from the brink, they'll have to break it up into several companies. If you are patient that process may present an opportunity for worthwhile gains, but they could just as easily p*** away that opportunity. With so much speculative about the path forward, I wouldn't take that bet - especially since they essentially did away with the dividend (1¢) there is no other reason to hold it except the potential share price gains, and they could be a long time coming

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    I am not a financial advisor and don't want you to take advice from some random guy on the internet who does not have fiduciary responsibility

That being said, I think for someone to really pull GE back from the brink, they'll have to break it up into several companies. If you are patient that process may present an opportunity for worthwhile gains, but they could just as easily p*** away that opportunity. With so much speculative about the path forward, I wouldn't take that bet - especially since they essentially did away with the dividend (1¢) there is no other reason to hold it except the potential share price gains, and they could be a long time coming

That is pretty much how I see it. You know what is ironic. GE spin off of Synchrony and today, Synchrony is the more profitable business it seems. Sometimes we are better off to be great at a few things, then so so at a lot of things. That is where I see GE, they need to get back to the basics and do what they know best.

On another note. I really think we may be in trouble this week in the market. Futures are ugly! I, like you am not a professional advisor but I take a lot of advice and opinions from people I have never met. You mind giving your opinion on fear right now of a recession? All these talking heads on TV are squawking about it, but honestly...I don't understand that stuff.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Yeah; GE makes fabulous jet engines, great diesel/electric locomotives and really good power turbines for all kinds of electrical generation. Unfortunately, like Caterpillar, they are vulnerable in the heavy equipment area to whipsawing of infrastructure spending worldwide. Those industries could certainly do better standing alone, as could their capital services arm. There are likely other bright spots that I'm not aware of also. It just seems somehow that good division level numbers get sucked up into the giant mess the company had become and disappear. I held GE previously much longer ago buying in just sub $30 with the strong belief nothing was keeping it from going to $50. A number of years later, when I ran out of patience, I just barely got out of it without loss - selling for just over $30. I consider it one of my investment mistakes, as I invested based on a belief/feeling that was not underpinned by fundamentals

I like the following article from seeking alpha on the potential for a full blown financial crisis, it brings in data from a variety of sources and the interpretation of those and the conclusion resonate for me. I'm older and invest largely in quality dividend paying stocks. I invest in stocks rather than funds because a quality stock with a good reliable dividend history is one of the first things to begin recovering after a correction (because of flight to quality) and is still paying me income at the same rate, regardless. I have no intention of selling unless I'm forced to, so I largely don't care about the underlying price of the stock as I am not leveraged and am predominantly interested in the revenue stream. If I am DRIPping, then lower asset price just means accumulating more shares faster. You need to own the stock rather than a fund, though, to truly buy and hold. A fund manager may sell
    quality assets for a variety of reasons unrelated to their long term potential

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4209026-another-financial-crisis-coming-investors-need-know

It takes some time to build a solid position in this type of investment, but it's never too early to start and the Graham/Buffett method gives you a way to determine a target price to buy in at which I find invaluable. For some assets such as GE, which I never considered lifetime holding, I periodically readjust the price that triggers a sale of the asset upward as the share price rises. You want to stop loss/preserve profits but give it some ways to fall on volatility without triggering an unwanted abandonment of the position. In the example of GE, the steady fall generated by the talk around reducing their dividend in 2017 would have automatically triggered the life boats

I apologize if some of this is below the level of your investing acumen, I just really wanted to fully explain my position. I often set up for a full blown bear market buy setting a buy order at a certain level under my sell order so that if the drop is hard enough and I like the investment enough I essentially recreate the original investment and take some money off the table. That usually doesn't work in a correction as the drop isn't sharp enough. And by letting the algorith do the buying and selling at points i've leisurely determined after much thought, I never have to respond immediately to anything short of 2008 level chaos and i sleep much better at night. YMMV

ETA: Keep an eye on the level of corporate 'junk bond' quality debt as well as who is aggregating it and who is buying it. If anything recreates the sub-prime crisis, I believe it will come from that sector of the market. Another worry just barely on my radar would be more irrational market behavior than usual that is algorithm-based, such as a flash crash. With my use of buy and sell orders they could potentially cost me money for no good reason. As a larger and larger part of trading goes algorithm based i expect if someone knows enough about the minute of particular algorithms, and has the right leverage, the entire market could be vulnerable to significant mischief. The P&G flash crash (2010, I think) is a good example of this. If a bad actor knew what was coming and had the right orders in place on a machine/connection that could execute fast enough, they could sell a huge position in P&G, rebuy the same position for around half as much and pocket the profits.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom