• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    BP station convenience store on 46 as you come into town from the west. The people working there noticed, but said nothing other than the pleasant conversation necessary for my transaction. None of the other customers said anything either.

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    OCing in Bloomington has never given me any problems. OCed in BuffaLouis (off Kirkwood) and the O'Malia's by the mall this past weekend. Just carry yourself professionally and no one says anything(or notices for the most part). Actually walked by 2 cops on Kirkwood, just a nod of the head and nothing more.

~Nate

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    OCing in Bloomington has never given me any problems. OCed in BuffaLouis (off Kirkwood) and the O'Malia's by the mall this past weekend. Just carry yourself professionally and no one says anything(or notices for the most part). Actually walked by 2 cops on Kirkwood, just a nod of the head and nothing more.

Indeed!

I know that Paul Hager used to open carry all over Bloomington for a while. Maybe he still does. Why I Carry

GetA2J

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Terre Haute,Indiana
    What was the obviosly well respected Sheriff Campbell's reasoning for asking you not to OC?
    I think I remember Sheriff Cambpell's reason for stating that it is not a good idea. His reasoning IIRC: IF you choose to carry concealed and something escalates into a bad situation you have a coice; to get involved or to disappear in the crowd with everyone else. (of course personal attackes would require a more direct action)
    IF you choose to carry openly then many times you won't have that opportunity to choose as the choice will all to often be made for you by others. Or at least that is the jest of what I remember when I took his training course.:popcorn2:
    I also understand from reading the posts in this thread that I did actually read that this topic is as hotly debated as religion or politics. :n00b:

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    I don't open carry, I have in the past, but my personal feelings are that having my guns concealed gives me an advantage.

However, if I could sling my SBR across my chest and take it with me where ever I go, with out getting a SWAT team called on me, I would do so.

epsylum

What's going on up here?
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    However, if I could sling my SBR across my chest and take it with me where ever I go, with out getting a SWAT team called on me, I would do so.

<---wishes he chould find the pic of the guy in the Swiss supermarket with his SIG 55x slung on his back. No one even blinked an eye. The way it should be.

pmpmstrb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    I think I remember Sheriff Cambpell's reason for stating that it is not a good idea. His reasoning IIRC: IF you choose to carry concealed and something escalates into a bad situation you have a coice; to get involved or to disappear in the crowd with everyone else. (of course personal attackes would require a more direct action)
    IF you choose to carry openly then many times you won't have that opportunity to choose as the choice will all to often be made for you by others. Or at least that is the jest of what I remember when I took his training course.:popcorn2:
    I also understand from reading the posts in this thread that I did actually read that this topic is as hotly debated as religion or politics. :n00b:

Not saying you are wrong, but that just doesn't make sense to me. Sheriff Campbell respectfully asks you to CC in his county because he is looking out for you and decides for you that it gives you greater tactical advantage to either fight or flee depending on the situation? If that's the only reason than I'm going to raise the :bs:. Seems to me that he doesn't want to have to respond to calls about "man with gun" when in reality it is a legal OC situation.

Not trying to be an ass, but that's just how I see it.

GetA2J

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Terre Haute,Indiana
    pmp, you may very well be correct.
    As I remember this was the reason that Sherrif Campbell gave the class for not OC. He may very well have altierier motives in the deeper understanding.
    As others on this thread have stated he is a good teacher and an honerable man. As he teaches he gives a reason for every single concept that he pushes in his classes.
    Raise the :bs: if you want, but you really should take his course before you call BS on the man.

abnk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    This issue has been beaten to death, but what the hell, I'll post. The tactical advantage could be argues both ways. Is it better to keep it concealed lest you make yourself conspicuous or open carry for a fast draw? Well, it depends in the environment and other variables. For most daily activities, I prefer to carry concealed. I open carry only if the danger potential increases and I have no way out and if I am wearing a shirt and tie and the risk level low enough where I want to promote the image of a professional, friendly person with a firearm. If everyone did it more often and went the extra mile to be even more amicable and polite, I'm sure the sheep's perception would change.

abnk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    As I remember this was the reason that Sherrif Campbell gave the class for not OC. He may very well have altierier motives in the deeper understanding.
    As others on this thread have stated he is a good teacher and an honerable man. As he teaches he gives a reason for every single concept that he pushes in his classes.
    Raise the :bs: if you want, but you really should take his course before you call BS on the man.

I agree. Sheriff Campbell also stated that he wished and would support the state if they required training prior to issuing LCHs. Does that make him a bad person? Certainly not. He is a great person and an outstanding instructor. I have taken more than one class from him and know that he really likes an armed citizenry. We just can't all agree on everything.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I agree. Sheriff Campbell also stated that he wished and would support the state if they required training prior to issuing LCHs. Does that make him a bad person?
    Sounds to me like he's hard up for cash and looking to milk money out the pockets of those who wish to carry.

Certainly not. He is a great person and an outstanding instructor. I have taken more than one class from him and know that he really likes an armed citizenry. We just can't all agree on everything.

However you feel, the license to be allowed to defend yourself is insult enough to citizens of Indiana. Requiring even more B.S. before allowing us to defend ourselves is adding insult to injury.

Several states allow 18 year olds to carry without any training or permits or licenses... open or concealed.

Indiana needs to be the next one.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Sounds to me like he's hard up for cash and looking to milk money out the pockets of those who wish to carry.

Not even a chance of the above being true.

Given that, I agree that Indiana should join Vermont and Alaska.

Actually, Alaska has a better deal. You don't need a license or permit to carry, but you can get one if you want.

The only way I would support a change to a license with mandatory would be under the following circumstances:

1. No license or permit would be needed to carry or transport in Indiana.

2. The current license would still be available for those who want to carry in other states where it is valid.

3. The license that would require training would be good in every state and US territory, including each any every place any police officer or Federal agent could carry.

#3 is, shall we say, unlikely. :D

pmpmstrb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008

I'm not calling BS on him and his teachings. I'm calling it on the fact that he asks people to CC because he believes it to give a greater tactical advantage and that is why he asks for you to CC. Just because someone asks you to doesn't mean you should. It annoys me when people say "by cc'ing you are giving up your right to oc" or the other way around. If you choose to either OC or CC because that is what you feel is right or comfortable to you than that is fine you aren't giving up your right. But to do so because someone asks you to, that is giving up your right.

This could be based off incorrect information. I am just going off what someone else on here posted. If it is incorrect original information than I apologize. If no then this is how I feel.

ryanmercer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    I'm not calling BS on him and his teachings. I'm calling it on the fact that he asks people to CC because he believes it to give a greater tactical advantage and that is why he asks for you to CC. Just because someone asks you to doesn't mean you should. It annoys me when people say "by cc'ing you are giving up your right to oc" or the other way around. If you choose to either OC or CC because that is what you feel is right or comfortable to you than that is fine you aren't giving up your right. But to do so because someone asks you to, that is giving up your right.

This could be based off incorrect information. I am just going off what someone else on here posted. If it is incorrect original information than I apologize. If no then this is how I feel.

Completely true! I am not giving my right to OC up by CC'n... I'm cc'n because there are a lot of idiots running around shooting places up lately, and I don't need the hassle of people freaking out when they see a firearm on my person because they think I'm going to gun them and everyone else down.

abnk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    However you feel, the license to be allowed to defend yourself is insult enough to citizens of Indiana. Requiring even more B.S. before allowing us to defend ourselves is adding insult to injury.

I could not agree more, brother.

bw8755

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    South Bend
    To those of you that OC and have been noticed by the authorities, have any of you had to show your LTCH to the officer?

I will from time to time. Several years ago, it was an extremely hot & humid night and went to the Wal*Mart in Mishawaka. I was only wearing shorts & a T-shirt, OC with my HK USP 40 full size. An off-duty but uniformed (also in shorts & polo) Mishawka PO came over by the magazine rack (I was looking at a gun mag :)), asked if I had a license and then we chatted about guns for 20 min.

I hate trying to conceal all the time, especially in the summer. I think we are more aware of us carrying openly than those around us. Appearance has a lot to do with that. I see people OC often enough. Most appear to be off-duty LE. I think that is what most of the public thinks is that "they must be a cop" (once at a restaraunt someone asked if I was a cop). If a young kid/gang-banger/crazy-eyed scruffy-lookin' dirtbag was openly wearing, I think it would then be more noticeable due to the person being an attention-getter in the first place.

I am glad we can OC and will do so as I see fit. Obviously there are places you would not want to. I wouldn't suggest showing up at your neice's birthday party at a kid's place (ala Chuck E Chese) OC'ing.

icepick

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2008
    I work in a small gun shop and I'm allowed to carry open there, however I don't cary open any were else. I'm like the most of you all I don't want the attention.

Top Bottom