• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • aikidoka

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    Hammond
    I do quite often. Most of my time is spent around Hammond (dang it). I've had no problems at the Walmart, Walgreens, Burger King, Wendy's, McDonalds in Hammond or at Meijers in Highland and Home Depot and Sears Craftsman/Hardware on Indianapolis Blvd. in Schererville. Oh and Jimmy John's in Highland was no problem as well.

Only problem with regular folks is when a teenager jumped back and said "he got a gun!". Her friends just giggled as she jogged ahead of them and crossed the intersection.

My first interaction with a police officer went fine despite his initially thinking only CC was allowed. He conceded I might be correct and only asked that I CC. I did that time because he seemed sincere in wanting to find out what is actually allowed.

My second interaction wasn't so good. Apparently there was a MWAG call, which was a first as I walk this area often and OC nearly all the time as well. Four cops showed up. The lead officer took and unloaded my firearm, after confirming I was licensed, he then badgered me about my choosing to OC. The jerk then wouldn't let me reload in his presence, told me to do that in the car. I told him I couldn't do that because I walked. He said he could impound my firearm if that's what I wanted. I walked home unloaded. Next time I'll just go across the street and reload in the McDonald's bathroom. Unfortunately being laid off I don't have enough money to interest a lawyer and I guess you have to get arrested or tazed to get attention.

I now carry a digital voice recorder whenever I OC. And the first words out of my mouth will be - am I being detained?

StarKing

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2008
    Muncie
    - You find yourself in the, lightening strike, situation of being near an armed robbery, mass shooting, or even just lots of gunfire that you can't identify. You exit with a lot of other people around you to find someone has drawn their weapon on you, because they have seen yours. It could be another with a license to carry, a rookie cop, or the bad guy. You don't know because they are visibly rattled and not speaking. All the while, you've got an equally rattled person behind you screaming "you've got the gun, shoot him!"
    However extreme this may seem, you know in today's climate it is possible. You do NOT want to be there.

Been there.
    Done that.
    Not fun.
    Fortunately both of us were responsible good guys.

Beau

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Colorado

My . The lead officer took and unloaded my firearm, after confirming I was licensed, he then badgered me about my choosing to OC. The jerk then wouldn't let me reload in his presence, told me to do that in the car. I told him I couldn't do that because I walked. He said he could impound my firearm if that's what I wanted. I walked home unloaded.
    I now carry a digital voice recorder whenever I OC. And the first words out of my mouth will be - am I being detained?
    How can LE legally stop you form loading in their presence? I wonder what an officer would say if someone demanded their property returned to them in the same condition it was in before being illegally seized.

aikidoka

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    Hammond
    How can LE legally stop you form loading in their presence? I wonder what an officer would say if someone demanded their property returned to them in the same condition it was in before being illegally seized.

Good question. Now that I have the digital recorder I might just ask that question should it come to that next time.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    I have OC'ed in Clay Terrace MANY times without a single notice. Know one seems to be looking for it and if they do they don't say anything. If they call the cops I will show them my permit and go on about my day, if they detain me or take my weapon I will enjoy the nice lawsuit money as lots of others have lately...

emsdial911

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2009
    Lapel
    I think a lot of this has to boil down to where you live. Can you imagine me OCing in Carmel walking through Clay Terrace on a Saturday. Educating people or not I don't want the attention. If you live in certain parts of the state I'm sure this works better and by all means it is your right to do so. For me I just don't need the attention and don't feel like educating people or fielding questions. Also I don't want the Carmel Cops up my ***. I feel fine carrying concealed. To each his own :thumbsup:

OC'd in Clay Terrace several times even sat in a few restraunts for a few hours. No Problems at all.

emsdial911

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2009
    Lapel
    Because if I was gonna hold a place up... and I saw someone with a gun in said place... they'd be my first target. Eliminate immediate threat to me then proceed. If it's in my mind, it's in someone elses.

Are you serious? You would go from robbery to murder? What if the person was actually an off duty cop? Most criminals are out for a quick score. Most surveillance videos show the criminals don’t even pay attention to the other customers; they go straight for the clerk and the money. Most do not case the place to see if anyone is carrying. I am always aware of my surroundings and what is behind me.
    If you shoot a customer first you, as the criminal, lose your tactical advantage and give the clerk time to activate an alarm or another customer who is OC or CCing to draw their weapon.

GetA2J

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Terre Haute,Indiana
    I have OC'ed in Clay Terrace MANY times without a single notice. Know one seems to be looking for it and if they do they don't say anything. If they call the cops I will show them my permit and go on about my day, if they detain me or take my weapon I will enjoy the nice lawsuit money as lots of others have lately...

I don't remember hearing about any of these actual lawsuits you mentioned. Can you provide links to documentation?
    It is a nice thought but I would think you would need a VERY strong case AND a VERY expensive attorney. :twocents:

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    You haven't heard the story about the guy in the movie theater? It s been all over the news and web. Someone put a link up here to it please.

muncie21

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2008
    Open carry is legal in NM w/out a permit. However, you will rarely see anyone in larger cities such as ABQ, or Santa Fe open carrying. The cops would be on you like white on rice....whether that's legal or not, it's just the sad fact.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I don't OC. Someone might see my gun, and that would make me feel ashamed of not being within the societal norms.

Top Bottom