Anyone ever broken the safety on their 1911?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Total back half. We built the frame in house. We did all the interior and hung the quarters and new sheet metal up front. The car was a total we drug out of a field in Wisconson. Tires are 14WX32's and room behind them. Narrowed ford with Strange pieces.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Apples and oranges friend! A more fitting analogy would be a 69 Camaro, straight 6, VS a 69 camaro SS396! Same platform, but one will cost a ton, right outa the gate, and the other can be built, a piece at a time, if need be, and will perform just as well, if not better!

You're comparing a Jennings .22, to a high end 1911, and that's clearly not the case!

Perhaps YOUR skill will net you a Chevette...

I think that is where your argument stumbles. If you start with an Ed Brown that is filled with RIA parts and you fit all new Ed Brown parts to it, you'll have an Ed Brown when you are done, assuming you are skilled at fitting parts. But, if you start with an RIA and fill it with Ed Brown parts, you still have an RIA filled with Ed Brown parts. The frame and slide quality are important to the final result. I'm totally there with you on enjoyment of the process, but I have no illusions of my tweaked Remington being the same as a Wilson Combat. My frame is still a cast frame. Now, when you get down to the function, I think I can build a pistol out of lower end components that will exceed my ability to use it and I'm happy with that.

I think that for 95% of 1911 users, myself included, the sub-$1500 1911 is perfectly fine. Like a good cigar, some can appreciate them and to them they are worth every penny. I get as much out of a $6 cigar as any other, so the money for a really good cigar would probably be lost on me. I can appreciate a really nice 1911 but for now, I'm satisfied with what I have and what I've cobbed together. But, in the end, they are all 1911s and I've yet to see one I did not like except maybe the one that looked like it had a melt treatment done with a chainsaw and belt sander.

philbert001

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 4, 2012
    Allen County
    I think that is where your argument stumbles. If you start with an Ed Brown that is filled with RIA parts and you fit all new Ed Brown parts to it, you'll have an Ed Brown when you are done, assuming you are skilled at fitting parts. But, if you start with an RIA and fill it with Ed Brown parts, you still have an RIA filled with Ed Brown parts. The frame and slide quality are important to the final result. I'm totally there with you on enjoyment of the process, but I have no illusions of my tweaked Remington being the same as a Wilson Combat. My frame is still a cast frame. Now, when you get down to the function, I think I can build a pistol out of lower end components that will exceed my ability to use it and I'm happy with that.

I think that for 95% of 1911 users, myself included, the sub-$1500 1911 is perfectly fine. Like a good cigar, some can appreciate them and to them they are worth every penny. I get as much out of a $6 cigar as any other, so the money for a really good cigar would probably be lost on me. I can appreciate a really nice 1911 but for now, I'm satisfied with what I have and what I've cobbed together. But, in the end, they are all 1911s and I've yet to see one I did not like except maybe the one that looked like it had a melt treatment done with a chainsaw and belt sander.
    I enjoy the tinkering, and perhaps am a little defensive! If somebody wants to let me run their $5000 1911, maybe you can change my mind!

In my price range and skillset, as well as my shooting and smithing abilities, I'm perfectly happy to start with a well fit cast frame and slide, and tinker from there! Anybody with an Ed Brown wanna loan it to me and change my mind!? No? Then let me have my POS 1911 to build, and you stay up there on your high horse!

Pughead

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 22, 2014
    Fort Wayne

Having handled and fired the gun in question I can guarantee if it were placed in your hand you'd guess it's value in the $2000 range. (And by "your hand" I mean anyone familiar with 1911s)

philbert001

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 4, 2012
    Allen County
    Having handled and fired the gun in question I can guarantee if it were placed in your hand you'd guess it's value in the $2000 range. (And by "your hand" I mean anyone familiar with 1911s)
    Maybe not the 2K range, but I'd put it up against any Springer or Colt I've handled or fired for sure!

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I can't believe how many people hate Philippino 1911's I think most that hate them have never shot one. If they have they've probably shot one that hasn't been maintained. Or was hacked with a bubba trigger job. I'd love to have a Ed Brown. I just can't justify it. I can afford it but I would learn nothing if I bought one.

I have added what I like to my "cheapy" I have shot the crap out of it. I expect something will fail. When it does I'll do what Philbert001 did. I'll replace the parts with better. I won't pitch it till the frame to slide fit is shot or I bust the frame. I just stripped the gun down for a through cleaning. Slide to frame fit is awesome. No Peening on the frame from the slide. Other then finish wear the gun is still good to go. Over 20k rounds and still going strong. I need to have the frame and slide refinish. The 4 years of holster wear is showing. I love the old gun. I might buy a Ed Brown some day but I will feel bad when the finish wears off my 3k_ gun. I don't feel bad about the wear on my cheapy.

Rock on with your 1911 Phil! :ar15:We'll get together this summer and have a shoot out!

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

Maybe not the 2K range, but I'd put it up against any Springer or Colt I've handled or fired for sure!

Punching pretty holes with a pretty gun is one thing. Getting one to run flawlessly enough to produce consistant solid match results is another. The timer turns a lot of pretty guns into safe queens and classified adds. ;)

philbert001

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 4, 2012
    Allen County
    I can't believe how many people hate Philippino 1911's I think most that hate them have never shot one. If they have they've probably shot one that hasn't been maintained. Or was hacked with a bubba trigger job. I'd love to have a Ed Brown. I just can't justify it. I can afford it but I would learn nothing if I bought one.

I have added what I like to my "cheapy" I have shot the crap out of it. I expect something will fail. When it does I'll do what Philbert001 did. I'll replace the parts with better. I won't pitch it till the frame to slide fit is shot or I bust the frame. I just stripped the gun down for a through cleaning. Slide to frame fit is awesome. No Peening on the frame from the slide. Other then finish wear the gun is still good to go. Over 20k rounds and still going strong. I need to have the frame and slide refinish. The 4 years of holster wear is showing. I love the old gun. I might buy a Ed Brown some day but I will feel bad when the finish wears off my 3k_ gun. I don't feel bad about the wear on my cheapy.

Rock on with your 1911 Phil! :ar15:We'll get together this summer and have a shoot out!
    Amen Brother!

philbert001

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 4, 2012
    Allen County
    Punching pretty holes with a pretty gun is one thing. Getting one to run flawlessly enough to produce consistant solid match results is another. The timer turns a lot of pretty guns into safe queens and classified adds. ;)
    Amen! I doubt I'm good enough for "Solid" match results, but If I can run a gun hard without malfunction, then what is it again that makes a $3k gun better!? Or a $1000 gun, for that matter! Had I said that my Springer RO broke the safety, would this thread have even made it to page 3? I think not!

Top Bottom