Anyone back out of a deal because of seller being too eager?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I backed out because the buyer did seem to very eager and maybe confused over how vBulletin forums work maybe? Buyer lived here in Indiana, was a resident, and I was able to do a little research and everything seemed on the up and up. Was moving away and wanted the pistol ASAP before they became a citizen of another state. However, the buyer would send a PM, then 30 mins. later send another PM. It was almost like they thought they should get an immediate response. I know some people likely have it set up where PMs go to e-mail, and e-mail gets sent to smart phones. Not all of us have the $$ to toss around on such fancy devices (for now at least). Maybe it was drunk surfing, but they did it twice and it just seemed strange to me. I decided not to sell to that person.

If this person was under or around 30 it is possible that he/she is used to instant response. This has become a micro-wave society. Young folks are "Hooked" up to the web with all sorts of electronic Gizmos and wotcha macallits so it is possible that there was a miss-understanding. I get nervous every time I meet someone at exit # such and such behind the gas station to complete a transaction. Sometimes it feels like a clandestine drug deal. I sold a rifle to an ingo member and we met at a Bob Evans (his choice) and we drew a bit of un-wanted attention. Nerves are always a factor.

megalomaniac

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2012
    If this person was under or around 30 it is possible that he/she is used to instant response. This has become a micro-wave society. Young folks are "Hooked" up to the web with all sorts of electronic Gizmos and wotcha macallits so it is possible that there was a miss-understanding. I get nervous every time I meet someone at exit # such and such behind the gas station to complete a transaction. Sometimes it feels like a clandestine drug deal. I sold a rifle to an ingo member and we met at a Bob Evans (his choice) and we drew a bit of un-wanted attention. Nerves are always a factor.

This is true. Young people today are used to the instant gratification. BUT... If I ever had a strange feeling in an arms deal I would walk away too. Its not worth buying something that is potentially "tainted" so to speak...even if it was the "deal of a lifetime".

knowwhatImsayinhere?

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    So you made a cash offer on an item he had for sale and he accepted and then you got nervous b/c he contacted you 5 times to complete the deal? Seems as if he may have been a little anxious but you did make an offer and he accepted so in my way of thinking you reneged on the deal. I dunno.... if I make an offer on an item and the other party accepts I feel obligated to follow thorough with it, as long as said item is as described and seems legit. None of us knows what the other party has going on in their lives. MAybe he wanted to buy something else that might be gone soon. Maybe he needed to pay his rent or buy food, who knows. A lot of deals pan out in different ways. Sorry for the ramblings.... :dunno: :twocents:

"Long story short despite him willing to accept my initial cash offer I walked away."

yenningcomity

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    So you made a cash offer on an item he had for sale and he accepted and then you got nervous b/c he contacted you 5 times to complete the deal? Seems as if he may have been a little anxious but you did make an offer and he accepted so in my way of thinking you reneged on the deal.

Shrug, I want the gun. I have the cash in hand to buy it. there is no issue in that respect. Most of my gun purchases have been ftf and never had an issue.

I don't think he was desperate for the money considering his initial emails were about trading for my delta elite which would have had money coming my way. The vibe I got is that he wanted the gun gone. Chances are he is just impatient, but on the off chance the gun is hot I'd rather not take the risk. As overly cautious as some of the people on this forum can be I am surprised others wouldn't have the same concern.

nirol

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    Bottom line, what makes you nervous may not make the next guy nervous. If your gut told you this was possibly shady, I don't think you should beat yourself up second guessing the decision. Life's too short for that. Followed your gut, woke up healthy today, move on and live a great day. My two cents.

If by tomorrow you still are anxious about it, just buy two new guns and you'll feel great. :D

Rocket

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Whiteland
    I have been on both sides of that coin. I get real eager to sell especially if I have had an item for sale for a while with little interest. I have moved it to a new forum and bam somebody bites immediately. I get all eager to sell and may communicate a little excessively. I get very anoid if someone contacts me, and doesn't reply. But I usually give at least 12 hours for a reply. Unless I put must sell tonight in ad. Mostly with car parts. But I have learned to trust my gut. I had a guy stop by my repair shop and offer me a couple of AK's while talking to him I discovered that he knew nothing about them. I told him I wasn't interested and told him to go away. It hurt cause the price was good but I have found very few gun owners that no nothing about their firearms and I did not feel good about him. Always trust your gut! You just never know. I may have missed the deal of a lifetime or I may have kept myself out of trouble, Who knows.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    This is true. Young people today are used to the instant gratification. BUT... If I ever had a strange feeling in an arms deal I would walk away too. Its not worth buying something that is potentially "tainted" so to speak...even if it was the "deal of a lifetime".

knowwhatImsayinhere?

Yeah, if the vibe is wrong then it is wrong. Never had an issue with a stolen firearm and never want one with a body on it either.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    Go with yer gut, and you've done the right thing. If something appears fishy, it probably is. Once I smell fish, I can't move forward, even if it is just a bad perception. Maybe your offer was too good, or the gun could've been hard for him to get rid of, etc. But something out of the ordinary should give reason to step back, stop, and reconsider the purchase IMO. I would've probably done the same, and have done so before.

donballz

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 28, 2012
    Fishers, IN
    Seems likely to me that he had other offers but yours was the best so he was trying to get you to respond without losing the others who were interested.

CX1

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2012
    Vigo Co.
    Does anyone ever ask for the serial number of the weapon they are considering purchasing so they can either check the on-line database of stolen weapons or have a local PD run their check?
    Would sellers frown at this type of request from a potential buyer?

The two main reasons I have not tried to buy a gun from a FTF ad here yet:
    1) The possibility of buying a stolen gun.
    2) Meeting a complete stranger who I know will have at least one gun and I will have cash that has taken me a long time to save. Though admittedly I have not read of a robbery at a FTF sale here yet.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Does anyone ever ask for the serial number of the weapon they are considering purchasing so they can either check the on-line database of stolen weapons or have a local PD run their check?

2) Meeting a complete stranger who I know will have at least one gun and I will have cash that has taken me a long time to save. Though admittedly I have not read of a robbery at a FTF sale here yet.

I have made several transactions through the classifieds. No one has ever been a thug or not what they advertised. This is a fairly well ran forum and it leaves an electronic trail of who is who and what you are doing as in communications. As to the gun issue....never leave home without it. If you are nervous, bring a large friend with you. The buyer/seller is aware you ARE TOTING a fire arm as well.
    No, I have never asked for a serial # as everyone has been pretty stellar so far. I have had to deal with the low-ball crowd on a few things and every body has a trade to make but it is fairly painless. If you price it right it will sell. If not, it rolls on to the back of the pack.

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    No, but if I didn't feel right with a sale, I wouldn't do it, so if it felt off to you, you are right for not proceeding, even if some of us would. For all you know he could have stolen it earlier on in the day and have been really hot to sell it. Likewise, he could have just found out his wife was pregnant and really wanted to suprise her with a new crib. You never really know what is going on in someone's head, so you have to rely on your own instincts.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg

I get what you are saying. I only meet INGO members for FTF deals. I don't do the large sites like GB for FTF sales/purchases. I've never met an INGO member that gave me pause. It's those knife guys you have to worry about. :laugh:

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog

You dont hear about those because we hide the bodies so well :laugh:

fireman28

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2012
    I can relate to what your saying. I texted a guy about a truck once and next thing I know is he starts sending a bunch of texts back asking a bunch of questions like how much I would give him, what I would trade, if I didn't come right now he would sell it to someone else, I kept telling him I didn't want him to hold it and I don't make offers site unseen. He must have sent me like 20 texts and I kindly told him I wasn't interested.
    So if it was anything like that, then I don't blame you.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    I get what you are saying. I only meet INGO members for FTF deals. I don't do the large sites like GB for FTF sales/purchases. I've never met an INGO member that gave me pause. It's those knife guys you have to worry about. :laugh:

Agree with Que here... I've never had an INGO member that I ever felt concerned about. As for the stolen thing, theoretically, it's possible - but if you do business around here with folks with any kind of a track record, they're only going to make that screw up once - then everyone in INGO would know... they'll get outed faster than a G-Man at a hacker's convention.

Top Bottom