Anyone back out of a deal because of seller being too eager?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Bottom line, what makes you nervous may not make the next guy nervous. If your gut told you this was possibly shady, I don't think you should beat yourself up second guessing the decision. Life's too short for that. Followed your gut, woke up healthy today, move on and live a great day. My two cents.

If by tomorrow you still are anxious about it, just buy two new guns and you'll feel great. :D
    I agree, with this .... YOU must "trust your gut" .....

mbaza3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Nov 21, 2009
    Arizona
    I have encountered some interesting characters on Armslist. I backed out of a deal to sell after the buyer contacted me a number of times via text and seemed way to eager to purchase. I have not listed anything on Armslist since then and stick with good old INGO :)

cundiff5535

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Nwi
    I am the kind of person that once a deal is made... you go through with it, pretty much no matter what (obviously, if there is something illegal/its not what was advertised thats different).

In some of my past dealings I have agreed to buy a firearm from a guy and 20 min after we agreed, I found a much better deal. Since it is my word and I honor it... right or wrong, once I say "I'll take it" or "I agree to a price" it's a done deal.... period

On to your situation... One thing I have learned in trading, buying, or selling firearms... when a deal is agreed upon, I like to get it over with ASAP.

If I am buying and its a good deal, I want to go buy it right away. I have learned most people are not like me... first guy with the cash wins. I have been screwed out of some sweet deals because I didnt react fast enough

If I am the seller... I usually want to get the cash in my hands as I typically have another project on the horizon or I am nervous you are going to back out.

I would say, that you have a valid point about buying at night and you felt rushed but, the fact is you agreed to it. You should have called the kid the next day, then went and bought the gun.

Thats just my take.

cundiff5535

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Nwi
    I have encountered some interesting characters on Armslist. I backed out of a deal to sell after the buyer contacted me a number of times via text and seemed way to eager to purchase. I have not listed anything on Armslist since then and stick with good old INGO :)

And BTW, Armslist sucks. I just stay off there as it seems like at least 60% of the stuff on there is a scam

marv

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Gatchel, IN
    I had a guy on Hoosier Topics get all bent out of shape on a handgun deal when I said I would need to see his DL and LTCH. Guess you could say we both backed out by mutual consent.

buffalohump

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2012
    I'll bet the LEO's were knocking on his door. Makes every body uneasy. By the way do you like your Delta? I have one but my other hand feels left out

71silverbullet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Oct 30, 2010
    Southern, In
    It is so ironic that I come across this thread! The OP here has a gun for sale in the classifieds, I pm'd him about it and got no response. 12 hours later I pm'd him again, and again roughly 12 hours later. In the mean time I checked his profile and saw that he had been on line since my first pm to him. He replied basically saying I was too eager, and I was tracking his activity, and this made him uncomfortable so he refused to sell to me. LOL!
    I thought I was paranoid...

45acp223

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2013
    SE IN.
    Just my way of doing business. If it's above a $100, I always ask for a phone no. and in your case would have emailed that I would call in the morning, giving you time to mull it over. It's best to at least discuss the deal and get a feel for if you like dealing with this person. But it's your call, and you did what you felt was right, so just move on and don't let the "possible" good deal that got away eat at ya. Something was telling you to back off so you did the right thing in my book.

Last edited:

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    In the future just correspond through post cards written with a quill pen. If you get more than 2 cards the same day, they are too eager.

I've never felt a buyer or seller was too eager, I like a quick response, if they send multiple responses, to me that means they are excited about the deal, could possible even lower price, or pay more for the item if buying.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have PM folks about guns...no response and a few weeks later they PM me and ask if I am still interested. Usually "NO" When I am on the hunt I go after what I want or the deals get snapped up. Also the fact that If I have money and the little woman finds out, well, you know.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    I am the kind of person that once a deal is made... you go through with it, pretty much no matter what (obviously, if there is something illegal/its not what was advertised thats different).

In some of my past dealings I have agreed to buy a firearm from a guy and 20 min after we agreed, I found a much better deal. Since it is my word and I honor it... right or wrong, once I say "I'll take it" or "I agree to a price" it's a done deal.... period

On to your situation... One thing I have learned in trading, buying, or selling firearms... when a deal is agreed upon, I like to get it over with ASAP.

If I am buying and its a good deal, I want to go buy it right away. I have learned most people are not like me... first guy with the cash wins. I have been screwed out of some sweet deals because I didnt react fast enough

If I am the seller... I usually want to get the cash in my hands as I typically have another project on the horizon or I am nervous you are going to back out.

I would say, that you have a valid point about buying at night and you felt rushed but, the fact is you agreed to it. You should have called the kid the next day, then went and bought the gun.

Thats just my take.
    I feel exactly the same as you do. I really don't think criminals that want to sell a firearm would tend to deal over the internet. There are a lot of markets out there that are available to criminals. I doubt you could find one of the "shady" bars that hasn't had a few firearms bought and sold while the patrons shared a table with a few drinks. I have bought firearms for several years - hold an FFL collectors license and have no fear at all of buying or selling FTF with any one on this board. Of course I very, very rarely sell, normally just buying to expand my collection. I guess I also tend to be anxious about completing a deal. Once I make a deal, I want the gun in my hand and expect the other person to respond quickly. Last gun I purchased on Gunbroker was from another FFL collector so had no issues, I paid - he sent the gun.

Top Bottom