Any other Military Surplus rifle collectors out here?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Atlas

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Sort of new here, moved to indy about a month ago, barely had a chance to breathe much less do any fun stuff. So, as we're unpacking I am dragging out all of my old irons and I started thinking. Perhaps I need to other militaria friends in the area!

So, anyone else collect old military rifles (and other stuff)? Mosins, Arisakas, mausers, Springfield muskets, whathaveyou!

Cheers mates

indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    I have a couple.... Ok how about the big question is what is you favorite Mil-sup firearm you have??? And why..???

And you have to pick one.. None of this its hard to pick??? :)

Atlas

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    I have a couple.... Ok how about the big question is what is you favorite Mil-sup firearm you have??? And why..???

And you have to pick one.. None of this its hard to pick??? :)

Awwww just ONE? You sir are insane! these are my babies, i can't pick just one!

Ok here's a few of my favotires:

All-matching K98 Mauser, with original sling and bayonet. REALLY all-matching. None of that "mitchell's mickey mausers" nonsense you see these days. Came out of a vet's closet with a bag of swiped kraut goodies. Rifle had 4 rounds in the chamber and a spent case in the receiver (always check before handling, even if it's an "old musket from a barn floor" type of deal!). No import marks, capture screws unmesed with, great bore.

Second is one of my FIRST mil surps I have ever bought. Remington Rolling Block .43 Egyptian, with clear unit markings on the receiver. Many of these guys didn't even make it to Egypt when produced and the ones that did are ususally beaten to high hell as they were used until essentially post-WW2 era. This one is in exceptional shape.

Third would be T99 Arisaka. Very common, except the stock has an extremely unusual shape, signifying it as a "veterans Organization Post Rifle" with the village name. As no Vets orgs were allowed to exist post-surrender and no rifles were left in japanese hands, this one is rare as hen's teeth.

Now, tell me about yours!

T4rdV4rk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    May 1, 2012
    NWI
    My favorite thus far is my Garand. The one opportunity I have had to shoot it showed way better accuracy than I expected. The history is amazing, 30-06 is nice, and other than that I just think it's cool.Already posted this picture on here so apologies if you're getting tired of looking at it.

AA2C7D52-0BC8-4263-8851-5E3F1E417433-671-0000003DC2ED3216.jpg

indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Awwww just ONE? You sir are insane! these are my babies, i can't pick just one!

Now, tell me about yours!

ha ha ha ha.. That is one of the nicer things I have been called today..

Well for me

This week it is My K98 7.62x51 Israel Mauser.. I love the idea of Israel purchasing Former Nazi arms to be then used to defend the Jewish state. The one I have was made in Czechoslovakia with the larger Trigger guard for cold weather mittens (It seems most are). I like how the German nazi symbols have been obscured and the star of david replaced & how "7.62" burned into the stock and receiver. Shows you the life of firearms.. Made for one side and ends up fighting for others.. And the best darn thing about it is I can still feed it will Mil-surp ammo that is still made today.. (I am starting to accept that 8mm mil-surp may not be with us forever)

Now sir.. I realize you just moved and have a tons more important things to do.. but I do hope to see a couple of photos someday,... especially that k98.. And the rolling block also... :) ... oh you may included the Japanese rifle also,, I do not want a anyone to be left out...

indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    My favorite thus far is my Garand. The one opportunity I have had to shoot it showed way better accuracy than I expected. The history is amazing, 30-06 is nice, and other than that I just think it's cool.Already posted this picture on here so apologies if you're getting tired of looking at it.

What year is this rifle??? The stock looks mint.. Per accuracy,, the first time I shot a garand I could not believe how accurate it was... (and I am a pretty bad shot).. Loved the sight, It almost aimed itself... have always liked the look of the 8 round clips when one are placed on the sling

Atlas

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    ha ha ha ha.. That is one of the nicer things I have been called today..

Now sir.. I realize you just moved and have a tons more important things to do.. but I do hope to see a couple of photos someday,... especially that k98.. And the rolling block also... :) ... oh you may included the Japanese rifle also,, I do not want a anyone to be left out...

I love 8mm cartridge. Had some of my best shooting done with a M48 yugo mauser. iron sights and all. Lit up multiple bullseye at 100 yards and very tight groupings. I'm sure the CZ israeli rework would handle nicely as well.

Hm, cant seem to find rolling blocks pics would have to take some. In the meantime, here's the K98:
    attachment.php

attachment.php

The rest are here: Junt found an all-matching minty K98 with sling!!

need to find the Arisaka pics next, I know I posted them online before, but where and when *scratches head*

scatwater

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2011
    North East Indiana
    I have a M-44 Mosin and a Ariska my Grandfather brought back from Japan. I would give the nod to the Mosin because It is by no means a safe queen. Just hadnt had the nerve to try and shoot the Ariska but I will one day.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Welcome Atlas! Also bitten by the milsurp bug here. :)
    Garand M1, Mosin 91/30, Mosin M38, Mosin M44, Mosin T53 (and another on the way from S.O.G.), Brazilian Mauser 30-06, Yugo M48A, Enfield No. 4 Mk I, Argentine Mauser Model 1891... um, I think that's it for the rifles. :D

K98 is on my want list!

Bikerdad61

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    Sullivan
    Been gun collecting for many years but just recently started picking up some WWII vintage rifles. It all started with a Japanese Arisaka with the Mum still in tact for $80.00 from a vendor at the covered bridge festival. He didn't know what he had and I wasn't for positive how rare it was till I got it home and started researching. It must have been a Vet bring back and in about 85% condition. After it, I have picked up a 1943 91/30 Izzy Mosin a 1944 Izzy M44 Mosin and a 1891 Argentine Mauser made in 1894. Have to say it's exciting owning these old rifles and lot's of fun searching for them. My next search is for a German Mauser with at least some of the Waffen marks on it, A Yugo Mauser, Swiss K-31, Nagant revolver etc. Figured better get 'em while they are still reonable in price. Be nice hand me downs to the Grandson's someday. And let's not forget eventually picking up a nice M1 Garand.

Atlas

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Here is a picture of some of my collection.
    8139807311_4c8c7a7c23.jpg

Well, the german ones anyway!:D

Well, not only is my collection feel smaller, but you are seriously wounding my photography "skills" lol. gorgeous rifles and great pics.

I do have a Gew 88 and 98, in addition to my K98. I'm still waiting to come across an m1872, a G98 karabiner and a G43!

Contemplating getting rid of my Japanese WW2 collection period and trading all of them for some German iron.

but man, excellent pictures. I am jealous.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    One of my favs is a K31. The best shooters are a K98 & my 1903a3. Yeah, I got a few mil-surps. There's a thread on here with lots of pics somewhere.

Atlas

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Welcome Atlas! Yeah, there's a few milsurp fans on here. I'm partial to Mosins, Finns in particular, Swiss, and Swedes. Got a smattering of other stuff but those are my favorites.

Thanks! Loving the reception here. When me and the lady stopped by a local gun shop last week and mentioned to the guy we just moved from NY, he stared right at me and said in an loud voice "WELCOME TO AMERICA GUYS!".

Anyway, I do like mosins, but never got into the Finns. Possibly because i've never played with one. Used to own a Remington 1891 Mosin, stupidly sold it to some gentleman down south when i wanted to buy some new shiny modern toy. Since then I've been more into WW1 era stuff, so a nice original 1891 from each manufacturer is absolutely on my "to buy" list. never got into Swiss rifles. the straight pull stuff and the rubber knobs always felt like something out of a sci-fi movie to me. But Swede mausers are excellent.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom