Any other Military Surplus rifle collectors out here?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    I too have a few ... mostly WWII.

The Axis:
    Axis2012.jpg

Hey Joker needless to say, a fantastic collection... But like please tell me about that intriguing bayonet below the one italian rifle... Never seen that before

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I have a few weapons along these lines. You guys have some nice collections of military history there. :yesway:

Last edited:

TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    The Carcano Model 1938 short rifle was configured for a folding bayonet. There is even a groove under the barrel to allow the bayonet to fold into the closed position while attached to the rifle.

CarcanoWithBayoClosed.jpg

CarcanoWtihBayoClosed3.jpg

CarcanoWithBayoClosed4.jpg

CarcanoWithBayoOpen.jpg

Funny story, the bayonet cost more than the rifle!

indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    The Carcano Model 1938 short rifle was configured for a folding bayonet. There is even a groove under the barrel to allow the bayonet to fold into the closed position while attached to the rifle.

Funny story, the bayonet cost more than the rifle!

Oh Moocho thanks for that Joker.. Now I was just expecting the story on it, not a blow-by-blow-how-to photo shoot...But it was very much appreciated :)

What a wonderfully over engineered piece...I can bekieve that it costs more then the rifle. Any special reasons for this being made like this???.. Issued to special units???? Any thought to how many they made??? Does it work as cleanly as it looks or is it a pain to operate????

TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    No problem. The photos were on file.

I'm not sure of the production numbers; but, it was a standard set up for the Italians in early years of WWII. It operates really smoothly. You pull out on the blade to unlock and push to lock.

The rifle in the picture was built by Terni in 1939. The original Model 1938 Short Rifle was manufactured in 7.35mm. They felt the 6.5 was under powered. Before they could stock pile the new ammunition, WWII broke out. So, they switched rifle production back the the 6.5mm. Tens of thousands of the 7.35mm rifles were sent to Finland, who were desperately in need of weapons to keep the Russians at bay. My rifle has the [SA] stamp of the Fin Military indicating it was one of those rifles.

The good news is that I've got a rifle with an interesting history. The bad news is that the ammo is rare and expensive.

I still buy and shoot the original stuff occasionally. I have great luck with these old boxes of ammo.

CARCANO7351AmmoBox1938.jpg

CARCANO7353StripperClip.jpg

One other interesting note, it was this rifle in 6.5mm that was used to assassinate JFK.

File:CarcanoRifleNARA.gif - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    The rifle in the picture was built by Terni in 1939. The original Model 1938 Short Rifle was manufactured in 7.35mm. They felt the 6.5 was under powered. Before they could stock pile the new ammunition, WWII broke out. So, they switched rifle production back the the 6.5mm. Tens of thousands of the 7.35mm rifles were sent to Finland, who were desperately in need of weapons to keep the Russians at bay. My rifle has the [SA] stamp of the Fin Military indicating it was one of those rifles.

Thanks for the great History trip there.. I did not know that the Italians made rifles for Finland.. Very nice... I like the look of the 7.35 rounds vs the 6.5mm. They look more like real bullets.

Wow I have been resisting getting any Italian wwII rifles for a while.. But you know other then the obvious Italian army connection, It is amazing that Carcano exported arms to both Japan and Finland during the war (Germany also but that was more the Germans taking them)

And then after the war they were all over Africa and the middle east..

So does anyone remake the 7.35 or is up to you to reload.????..

Claddagh

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    I'm more of an accumulator than a collector. I've owned a bunch of assorted milsurp longarms and hanguns over many years but most have ended up getting passed onwards as my fancy waned or somebody wanted them more than I did. I've held onto a few that had become personal favorites so far though.

Springfield Armory 1944 M1 Garand, professionally converted to 7.62x51 NATO. Purchased quite a few years back, mostly because it had been completely rebuilt with a new commercial barrel, rebuilt/refurbed and matched gas system, nice GI wood and nicely reparkerized. The price was only $469 + taxes whereas a used plain vanilla M1A with the synthetic stock ran well over $700 at the time. I was shooting a LOT of surplus 7.62 NATO anyway and had a bunches of surplus ball ammo onhand. Haven't regretted the choice for a minute.

Did install a Fajen laminated stock set when they were going OoB and Midway USA had them for under $100. Also put in a Schuster adjustable gas plug so I could tune it for 168-175 gr. Match loads.

Ishapore 2A1, 7.62x51 NATO. Bought because it was ridiculously inexpensive, had a virtually pristine bore and I thought that it was nifty. Amazingly accurate with quality ammo, especially Black Hills 168 gr. Match.

Swiss K31. Just too neat and unique to pass up, especially at the price I paid. Fun shooter, even if my ancient eyes aren't capable of accessing its accuracy potential anymore with the military irons.

Chinese SKS. Purchased because it was absolutely NIB with all accessories and 200 rds of ammo in 1988 for the princely sum of $110 OTD. Will still reliably deliver sub-2" 5-shot groups at 100 yds from the bench with a cheap Keng's 4X scope and receiver cover mount using Norinco 'Silver Box' steel core ball. Only wish that I'd bought a bunch more of that ammo while it was still available, as my stash runneth low now.I've owned several other SKSes of various makes, but this one is by far the most consistently accurate of the bunch, which is the main reason it's still with me while the others have moved on.

Ishapore "Police/Prison" single-shot Musket, .410 bore, 3" chamber. Bought just for grins, as it was weirdly cool and the price was cheap. Gives surprisingly tight patterns with 3" Federal #4 or 5 shot loads out to 40 yds and keeps all four 00 buck pellets well within the A-zone of a silhouette at 25 yds. A range toy, but sort of fun to play with.

Finally, a Bulgie Makarov that came complete with flap holster, cleaning rod/extractor take-down tool, lanyard and spare magazine numbered to the gun, NIB for $175. Amazingly accurate for its size and tiny, shiney stock sights, plus it's dead-nuts reliable with either ball or Hornady Custom 90 gr. JHP ammo. What more could one ask for that little cash?

Last edited:

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    I've got a few-
    1-mosin
    1-SKS
    1 Huskvarna pistol in .380, it has unit makings on it.
    2-M1 Garands
    I also have 2 wannabes an AR and and M1A

tacdriver

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2012
    VA
    Have to love the mil-surp's, I try to get at least one non import example when I can... and yes they go to the range :)

WWIIPISTOLS.jpg

M1carbineM1GarandK43SVT40SVT3803A3S.jpg

Bikerdad61

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    Sullivan
    Been gun collecting for many years but just recently started picking up some WWII vintage rifles. It all started with a Japanese Arisaka with the Mum still in tact for $80.00 from a vendor at the covered bridge festival. He didn't know what he had and I wasn't for positive how rare it was till I got it home and started researching. It must have been a Vet bring back and in about 85% condition. After it, I have picked up a 1943 91/30 Izzy Mosin a 1944 Izzy M44 Mosin and a 1891 Argentine Mauser made in 1894. Have to say it's exciting owning these old rifles and lot's of fun searching for them. My next search is for a German Mauser with at least some of the Waffen marks on it, A Yugo Mauser, Swiss K-31, Nagant revolver etc. Figured better get 'em while they are still reonable in price. Be nice hand me downs to the Grandson's someday. And let's not forget eventually picking up a nice M1 Garand.

Well as of yesterday I added a M1 Garand to my collection. All correct Springfield Armory, 5,868,xxx, 5-55 Manufacture, Issued but appears to have never been re-arsenaled. Picked it up off a local C&R guy that knows his Garands. Will post pics when I get some.:rockwoot:

totenkopf

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    When I first got in to the hobby, I was focused more on accumulating than collecting, and my initial collection reflected that. I was awash in a sea of Mausers, Mosins, and the like. But then one day, I got to thinking about the fact that if I'd quit buying so many different types, I could pool the money and start improving the quality of the collection, not to mention make better use of the space I have available. It wasn't easy, as I had fond memories with each of those rifles, but I can't complain. Getting rid of my Mosins allowed me to improve the depth of my German arms collection- I picked up a nice Parabellum pistol with the money.

However, I do have one regret- and that is selling my Swedish M96 and my M96-38 at the same time I sold the Mosins. The wood on them was pretty to look at, and their accuracy reflective of the quality of the Swedish rifles. But I really wanted that darn Luger.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Sort of new here, moved to indy about a month ago, barely had a chance to breathe much less do any fun stuff. So, as we're unpacking I am dragging out all of my old irons and I started thinking. Perhaps I need to other militaria friends in the area!

So, anyone else collect old military rifles (and other stuff)? Mosins, Arisakas, mausers, Springfield muskets, whathaveyou!

Cheers mates

Old military stuff is pretty much all i have.

Top Bottom