Any of you bought a gun without holding/testing it out?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kazaam

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2012
    Any of you bought a gun without holding/testing it out beforehand?

So I really want to buy a gun (Sig P226 Elite Stainless), but I don't really have enough time (and I'm kind of lazy lol) to go check it out (and I missed the gun show). I don't need it immediately, so I'm gonna try and get a hold of it before I buy, but I've been wanting this gun for a while and I know I'll eventually get it anyway (it's to be my first gun.

Have any of you bought a gun without holding/firing it, and if so, how did your purchase turn out (good, bad, meh)? How irrational would it be if I did actually buy it? lol

Last edited:

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    No, I've never done that. Not to say that I wouldn't, but if you have the opportunity and to test it out and your only excuse is laziness, you may not like the final outcome. Besides, I have bought guns and loved them after shooting them, but grew to dislike them for some reason or another. Just find one and put your hands on it, just so you have some kind of comfort in your decision.

blckevo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    IN
    yes i just bought a sig 2022 i had to wait 3 days for it to come in and i did not get to hold it tell i got it

kazaam

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2012
    yes i just bought a sig 2022 i had to wait 3 days for it to come in and i did not get to hold it tell i got it

My other problem is that the P226 SE is like $1100. The 2022 is like $350-400 on sale so thats easier to stomach lol. :eek:

hacksawfg

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    Hopefully not Genera
    All the guns I've ever owned I've never had the chance to hold/shoot before I got them (typically hand-me downs or gifts). I bought a Sig P226 without shooting it (although I had shot P228's before). I guess if you have the opportunity, go for it, otherwise :dunno: caveat emptor.

ssblair

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    Elkhart County
    Any gun that I've ordered mail-order were bought "untested" and seen pictures only. Most were military surplus, and most transactions have worked out fine. Had one case where they guy on Gunbroker advertised nightsights on a handgun, when they werent, but we worked it out.

I should probably say that I've been blessed thus far.

I suggest knowing what you can about the firearm you're ordering, know the typical issues they have, and ask lots of questions--not the least of which "does it WORK?" in case push comes to shove, later.

Headspace gages would be a smart thing to have--or know somebody who can check the headspace for you--Thats what you should have checked, but I haven't been very faithful about it personally. I would be much more diligent about checking that if I knew that the firearm was not coming with its original bolt & chamber.

Archer46176

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 21, 2012
    South East of Indy
    Bought our Ruger 10/22 takedowns without handling one of them but we already have 10/22s in the rack sk it wasnt a huge deal... Ummmm I mean I may or may not have bought the takedowns and may or may not have others in the rack... ;-) ;-) ;-)

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    392   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    It's done all the time..

Ever check out GunBroker.com ??
    They do a pretty good business on listing up guns for sale.
    I have bought a "Few" of them that way+had them shipped here to my FFL Dealer.

I have had good luck in this process..Bill.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    That is a major problem with ordering a firearm through "Gallery of Guns".
    You have to order it and pay their commission and then pick it up at the dealer.
    If you do not like it. You have a problem.

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Many times with mixed results. Have learned a few lessons. If you can't examine it first hand make sure you can send it back. If you can't send it back get it cheap enough to cover repair.

kazaam

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2012
    I dont mean THAT specific gun...I mean that gun in general. For example I want to get a P226 (new), so obviously no one (except factory) has held or shot the weapon, but I've never even held a P226. Is that crazy? :eek:

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I dont mean THAT specific gun...I mean that gun in general. For example I want to get a P226 (new), so obviously no one (except factory) has held or shot the weapon, but I've never even held a P226. Is that crazy? :eek:

No, it's not crazy, but if you don't try one out even when you have the opportunity, I would say it's less than wise. I'm sure SOMEONE on here has one you can fondle before you spend that king of money.

TomN

'tis but a flesh wound!
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Elkhart
    I once purchased a new Wilson Combat CQB from an out of state FFL. I was not disappointed. Was a nice shooting gun.

Top Bottom