Any of you bought a gun without holding/testing it out?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mr.JAG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    If its a common, popular, and proven performer - I have no qualms just laying down cash without the need to fondle/test.

Items like the Remington 870 and Glock 19 would fall into the category. If I don't like it, there are hundreds of other people around that would be willing to take it off my hands. Really little risk financially.

If its a one-off, rarer, or unpopular item though - I would definitely need to make sure it's right for me.

CopperT

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 17, 2012
    I bought a couple of guns in the past that I ordered before trying them out. Liked both of them.

Crossfire

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    I've always held them, but usually have never fired that model before. I figure if it feels good in my hand it's going to feel good at the range so far its worked out well for me. But as many would say I have a lot of living and shooting left to do in the life but so far so good. If you really want it I say pull the trigger

g+16

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2009
    have gotten a couple transfered in via ffl, bought over the phone after internet hook-up, but bought from reliable sources. No disapointments

rat-man

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    where the work is
    I try to hold them if possible, shoot them if possible, but I think shooting is a luxury. Holding less so, but sometimes still applicable.

I held a P250 Compact before I purchased my P250 Subcompact, so I got a feel for the trigger, but that was it.

The nice thing about the web, LOTS of information available so you can at least be fairly educated before you decide to try or just buy.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Yup bought many this way - I am a collector -and shooter - (every gun my son and I own has been fired). I do buy a lot of MIlitary firearms, but have several other handguns and rifles. In reality, foundling an unloaded gun at a gun shop doesn't tell you what the balance, weight, recoil or even what the sights will look like when you get to the range on a sunny day. Luckily, aftermarket grips often change a gun dramatically - I have a Ruger Blackhawk with the cowboy grip in 45 LC. It- was impossible to hold when firing real hot loads. Put a aftermarket grip on the gun and it is as tame as my Colt 45.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Just bought an M1A on gunbroker over the weekend. I have seen enough M1As to feel confident that I will not be disappointed when I pick it up from my local FFL holder who is handling the transfer.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I've never bought one without at least holding that model. I have some metal work in my hand and some of my fingers are crooked due to an injury, so the grip is really important to me. If it doesn't feel comfortable, I'll end up never using it.

I also like to see how the trigger stroke and, if applicable, trigger reset feels.

Top Bottom