Any of you bought a gun without holding/testing it out?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cam75

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2011
    bought my Dan Wesson CCO 1911 online without ever handling it, or any 1911. I love everything about it.

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    Yes, I got my Ruger 22/45 Lite without having one in my hand, but I had previously coonfingered regular 22/45's and had experience with a Mark II.
    I don't see why you'd have to rush out and get a gun that might not fit your hand. Unless you're made of money and just don't care.

chuddly

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 17, 2012
    Eminence, IN
    what i find funny is you said its your first gun and you are wanting to order it without holding it???? That is just crazy. How do you know how it will fit you?

Redtbird

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Apr 18, 2012
    Monroe County
    Bought this without "holding" it...

I got my Springfield M-1A thru gunbroker.com; it arrived on June 2nd this year. Never held it or shot it. However, it is just like the M-14 I shot when I was in the Army many years ago. Pleased with it? You betcha! :)

Last edited:

avengedXT

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 84%
    20   4   1
    Feb 15, 2010
    Behind the V!
    Being a person who has purchased guns before holding/seeing them in person, AND a person who has owned a Sig 226 Elite, take the risk.

The 226 Elite is an amazing firearm, the Sig classic 220 series is amazing! Just go for it; if you don't like it, somebody like me will happily put up with more crap from his wife to find the funds necessary to buy it from you =D

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    There are certain makes of guns that you rarely see around here. If you waited to hold one first you would probably wait for years. But Sig is not one of them. Sigs are available most everywhere and are certainly well represented at local gun shows. I have bought many guns without holding them. But I know what I like and what to expect from certain models. I don't think I would buy my first ever gun without pawing it first. I also wouldn't buy my first gun because it's shiny and pretty. YMMV.

Trading_Fool

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Every gun that I have. I buy and sell to see how it feels and shoots. Trading Fool is appropriate because with the resale value of guns, you will not get hurt to buy and try. If you do lose a little it is comparable to a rental fee:D

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have always held a gun before buying it. It would be like buying a car sight un-seen. Makes no sense to me. I do not mail order guns for that very reason. I have to Coonfinger them before I put down the money.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Yes. I've purchased several guns on gunbroker.com. But I have been familiar with the models, seen pictures, asked plenty of questions prior to buying, sometimes asked for more pictures. Haven't had a bad experience.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    When I bought my first firearm the webz wasn't available. Still I doubt I would buy the very first one without having shot one like that. I have found certain pistols that fit me poorly.

Would hate to tarnish the first purchase like that.

With that being over I have purchased more than a few firearms sight unseen. Some on here, some at other places.

I figure that if I get it and hate it I still have another to replace it until I can get something else.

Sig makes fine guns. I love my P220. I have shot P226's as well. The pistol will be easy to move if you hate it. Still, I would suggest finding someone who has one or at least go to a local shop. Spend a little more on the first one to get the customer service you might need. Hard to ask questions to your computer screen.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    If it is your first gun, what feels right is very likely to change after you get some shooting experience and develop your grip anyway.
    Since you can do it with little effort I'd check this one out even if only as a matter of principle though, adding risk by being lazy is a nasty habit.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    I dont like not handling guns before I buy. Ive never bought anything online and dont intend to.

If I cant hold it, feel it, fondle it, and look it over for fit and finish then I wont buy it.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    WAIT! some of you actually see AND touch a gun before buying?! Where's the fun in that?

Most of my purchases are internet surplus stuff. The only guns I handle before making a commitment are at the 1500. I suppose I do inspect guns I buy on INGO, but by that time I've made a non-binding commitment to buy.

Besides, it's a gun - if you don't like it then you can easily sell it for about what you paid.*

Insert purple where required.

* Unless it's a Taurus .380 revolver - who came up with that stupid idea?

Top Bottom