• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Price! Get a $2,000 XJ, get around $2,00 in lift, tire, bumpers and you got yourself a budget wheeler. Get a Wrangler TJ or YJ for at the lowest 5k, then add in the bumpers, tire, lift. ETC.

I paid exactly 2 for my XJ. I can get a lift for around 700 that will fit 31's. New tires and rimes for about 1500 and I can go just about anywhere an Wrangler can go of equal size (the downfall is the length, the upside is no wind noise from the soft top).

where do you get an xj that cheap that isn't run down?

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    I got lucky with mine as it was a co workers who lived 50 miles from work. Otherwise, Craigslist.

Frankly, if you are getting a cheap rig, why do you care what it looks like.

For example, if you want an off road toy that can be DD.

Jeep Cherokee xj trail rig

If you want pretty and off road ready.
    Lifted Cherokee

Want a cheap beater, this one needs a rear main seal put in, but it is pretty simple fix.
    89 Jeep Cherokee XJ Trail Rig

Here is one for 3k that looks descent.
    1997 Jeep Cherokee 4x4

Another one.
    1998 jeep Cherokee sport must sell!

Last one I will post.
    Lifted 96 jeep xj Cherokee

The last one is actually nice if it is a good install. One thing, find someone who knows XJ's. If you find one, there is a few North American XJ Association members in the midwest section around you that might be willing to check any potential ones out. Also, if you want to wheel with NAXJA on official runs, they have a short list of requirements (fire extinguisher, full size spare and tools to change it, front and rear recovery points, and first aid kit to name a few). They will push you to your limits and your rig, but not break. If you break, they will help you as best they can to get it fixed. Seriously, XJ's are fun and cheap and make for descent off road machines stock!.

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    I got lucky with mine as it was a co workers who lived 50 miles from work. Otherwise, Craigslist.

Frankly, if you are getting a cheap rig, why do you care what it looks like.

For example, if you want an off road toy that can be DD.

Jeep Cherokee xj trail rig

If you want pretty and off road ready.
    Lifted Cherokee

Want a cheap beater, this one needs a rear main seal put in, but it is pretty simple fix.
    89 Jeep Cherokee XJ Trail Rig

Here is one for 3k that looks descent.
    1997 Jeep Cherokee 4x4

Another one.
    1998 jeep Cherokee sport must sell!

Last one I will post.
    Lifted 96 jeep xj Cherokee

The last one is actually nice if it is a good install. One thing, find someone who knows XJ's. If you find one, there is a few North American XJ Association members in the midwest section around you that might be willing to check any potential ones out. Also, if you want to wheel with NAXJA on official runs, they have a short list of requirements (fire extinguisher, full size spare and tools to change it, front and rear recovery points, and first aid kit to name a few). They will push you to your limits and your rig, but not break. If you break, they will help you as best they can to get it fixed. Seriously, XJ's are fun and cheap and make for descent off road machines stock!.

I didn't see those on craiglist...here's my deal, I have a focus that I'm trying to sell but it's not moving with any interest at the moment...what to do?

REWSTER

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2012
    Hammond
    I didn't see those on craiglist...here's my deal, I have a focus that I'm trying to sell but it's not moving with any interest at the moment...what to do?

just hang in there, list the focus as a fuel saver people jump all over those. also for selling cars i find you get easier sales around tax season people will spend a grand on something they normally would only spend eight hundred on. check out the link TH posted to naxja. good deals pop up in the forsale section often.

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Cleaned it up today. Hopefully will finally get my rear bumper re attached next week if I get time to get to the garage with the air tools I use.

2012-11-10_16-35-13_374.jpg

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    On a 2000. The 0331 head has a reputation of cracking. Other then that, just normal stuff.

As for my Jeep, my Grandma called me this morning and said her car wouldn't start. Got there and I tried cranking it and when I heard what it was doing, I pretty much knew it was the battery. Between taking her to get her hair done, getting the old battery out, buying a new battery, picking her up, and then replacing the battery in her car. I got four bird crap spots on it now. I need to clean it up now. Oh well, at least I will get to drive her car for the next eight days as she is out of town (2009 Accord).

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    On a 2000. The 0331 head has a reputation of cracking. Other then that, just normal stuff.

As for my Jeep, my Grandma called me this morning and said her car wouldn't start. Got there and I tried cranking it and when I heard what it was doing, I pretty much knew it was the battery. Between taking her to get her hair done, getting the old battery out, buying a new battery, picking her up, and then replacing the battery in her car. I got four bird crap spots on it now. I need to clean it up now. Oh well, at least I will get to drive her car for the next eight days as she is out of town (2009 Accord).

How to identify the 0331 head?

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    I'm still looking for a stick shift XJ, preferably a 2 door but I could go either way.

Never owned a Jeep but one of my trucks was in Fourwheeler Magazine a few years ago.

Dick

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    How to identify the 0331 head?

It will be stamped on the drivers side, toward the back. It will probably be hard to find, especially if the valve cover has been leaking like almost every 4.0 does. Where the head cracks is easily visible most times (if it is cracked) by just taking off the oil cap and looking straight down in. Youll see coolant coming through. I would check for it, but if its isnt noticeable, I wouldnt base a buy just on the head. Even if it cracks, 4.0 heads are easy and fairly cheap to come by

REWSTER

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2012
    Hammond
    I wouldnt base a buy just on the head. Even if it cracks, 4.0 heads are easy and fairly cheap to come by

This!
    i see 4.0s going for 150 bucks every where you can pick a head out the JY pretty cheep too. if it runs good,rides good and ant rusted out. it would be a good buy.

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Just bought a 1998 cherokee...pretty decently nice however one small issue I need to figure out...

Rough idle, misfiring for sure but no CEL. Any ideas? Plug wire and distro cap are reportedly new, and plug wires are in proper order I do believe...

Top Bottom