• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Anybody know where to get a cheap but working crankshaft sensor? Apparently my jeep was throwing a code, but my CEL never came on(removed bulb? Bulb burnt out?)...

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    From about 5 or 6 XJ's myself and others at work have had, anything after 75K seems to be at risk.

Some make it to 200K before the crank sensor fails. Sometimes it's the wiring getting cooked on the valve cover over time.

Warranty- yeah that crap does nothing to make you feel better when it's sleeting and your rig dies in the dark on the side of the road miles from home LOL

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    From about 5 or 6 XJ's myself and others at work have had, anything after 75K seems to be at risk.

Some make it to 200K before the crank sensor fails. Sometimes it's the wiring getting cooked on the valve cover over time.

Warranty- yeah that crap does nothing to make you feel better when it's sleeting and your rig dies in the dark on the side of the road miles from home LOL

My jeep still runs, hasn't died on me yet...wasn't expecting to go buy an $90 sensor just yet

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    JEEP.

Just Empty Every Pocket.

My list I have done so far.
    -brakes twice
    -plugs and wires twice
    -dist. cap twice

What I need to do.
    -cam shaft position sensor (misfire and CEL)
    -wheel hub units (both fronts, 150 together for Timken from Rock Auto)
    -sway bar links (going disco's)

If you are okay with the misfire and want to risk the engine not starting, then replace it when you have the money to spare. Personally, I would replace it as soon as you can.

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    JEEP.

Just Empty Every Pocket.

My list I have done so far.
    -brakes twice
    -plugs and wires twice
    -dist. cap twice

What I need to do.
    -cam shaft position sensor (misfire and CEL)
    -wheel hub units (both fronts, 150 together for Timken from Rock Auto)
    -sway bar links (going disco's)

If you are okay with the misfire and want to risk the engine not starting, then replace it when you have the money to spare. Personally, I would replace it as soon as you can.

I want to get it running properly, I dislike things that misfires if you know what i mean

bonzaiberger

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Milan
    This will be my DD when it's done. It's a 1950 Willy's wagon, I'm going to upgrade the axles and drivetrain, do enough bodywork to make it watertight, cover it inside and out with bedliner and drive the hell out of it. It already has a 283 conversion but I want to put a newer 5 speed in for better economy.

2012-07-14134642.jpg

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    anybody know how to remove the black bulb holder from a jeep instrument cluster?

IMG_0309.jpg

Brown one removes easily, black ones arent budging

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    This will be my DD when it's done. It's a 1950 Willy's wagon, I'm going to upgrade the axles and drivetrain, do enough bodywork to make it watertight, cover it inside and out with bedliner and drive the hell out of it. It already has a 283 conversion but I want to put a newer 5 speed in for better economy.

2012-07-14134642.jpg

Looks like a sweet project!

Jarhead1775

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    Rushville
    I guess this mean now I have to go take a picture of my 2000 TJ Sahara to "show off" lol

I got mine back in January so I could park my Diesel truck. Truck gets 13mpg and Jeep gets 15ish at times... Still more fun in my book. That and gas is cheaper than Diesel fuel.

I'd really love to do a 5.3 LS swap into mine... just need to find the right organ donor.

dukeboy_318

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    in la la land
    anybody know how to remove the black bulb holder from a jeep instrument cluster?

IMG_0309.jpg

Brown one removes easily, black ones arent budging

They should just turn right out, they are just black caps that twist into place. Might try a set of needle nose pliers for leverage or something. I had the same type in my dodge truck. I doubt they are any different in the jeeps(both chrysler) :dunno:

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    They should just turn right out, they are just black caps that twist into place. Might try a set of needle nose pliers for leverage or something. I had the same type in my dodge truck. I doubt they are any different in the jeeps(both chrysler) :dunno:

I did end up using needle nose pliers, those are tough little buggers

fastang50

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    92 YJ here, currently in many pieces for a frame preservation job. It came from AZ and I'm not going to let it turn into a midwest rust bucket on me.

Top Bottom