• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    If the exhaust is original, then you might look at just replacing it all. No sense in dealing with rusted/rotten pipes. There are several kits out there, and most decent exhaust shops can drop in whatever muffler you want.

My stainless Dynomax mufflers have taken a real beating with no leaks, and sound great (on my old CJ with a V8). Flowmaster is good too, as is Borla. I'd go a bit "milder" than you might think, just to avoid the terrible droning sound the free-flow mufflers have at highways speeds. My old truck had a Gibson setup that sounded fantastic around town, but was TERRIBLE at highway speeds.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    If the exhaust is original, then you might look at just replacing it all. No sense in dealing with rusted/rotten pipes. There are several kits out there, and most decent exhaust shops can drop in whatever muffler you want.

My stainless Dynomax mufflers have taken a real beating with no leaks, and sound great (on my old CJ with a V8). Flowmaster is good too, as is Borla. I'd go a bit "milder" than you might think, just to avoid the terrible droning sound the free-flow mufflers have at highways speeds. My old truck had a Gibson setup that sounded fantastic around town, but was TERRIBLE at highway speeds.

how does your dynamax muffler sound? And by replacing it all, you mean everything? Replace it with what?

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    The Dynomax is noticable at idle, burbles a bit at part throttle, and ROARS when wide open. Definitely on the louder end of the spectrum. I'd compare it to the 40 Series Flowmaster - fairly aggressive. I'm running dual exhaust, no cat converters, and headers, on a small V8. It would annoy me to death if I drove it every day. Sounds awesome on the trail.

Unless your exhaust is in good shape, I'd replace everything behind the catalytic converter. Beats trying to patch together rusty pipes, you'll know it is new, and it really isn't all that expensive for stock stuff. Several years ago a shop replaced everything cat-back on a pickup I had, including my choice of muffler, for $250.

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    The Dynomax is noticable at idle, burbles a bit at part throttle, and ROARS when wide open. Definitely on the louder end of the spectrum. I'd compare it to the 40 Series Flowmaster - fairly aggressive. I'm running dual exhaust, no cat converters, and headers, on a small V8. It would annoy me to death if I drove it every day. Sounds awesome on the trail.

Unless your exhaust is in good shape, I'd replace everything behind the catalytic converter. Beats trying to patch together rusty pipes, you'll know it is new, and it really isn't all that expensive for stock stuff. Several years ago a shop replaced everything cat-back on a pickup I had, including my choice of muffler, for $250.

You have the dynamax super turbo muffler or the dynamax high flow muffler? My exhaust looks intact aside from a rattle(cat heat shield coming loose?) and the bent muffler, so I was going to cut old muffler off and weld in a dynamax super turbo(or the higher flowing version) muffler...didn't want to lose power or mileage

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    You have the dynamax super turbo muffler or the dynamax high flow muffler? My exhaust looks intact aside from a rattle(cat heat shield coming loose?) and the bent muffler, so I was going to cut old muffler off and weld in a dynamax super turbo(or the higher flowing version) muffler...didn't want to lose power or mileage
    Super Turbo. Sounds like you have a plan.

Anyone going to be at Badlands tomorrow?
    Unfortunately, no. JPFrog will have a decent-sized group there, though. Maybe about 10 guys/Jeeps. Great weather forecast!

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    just replaced the cam sensor...still idling rough, producing a p1391 error still along with a new one...p0340,

This jeep is going to make me hate it before I get to enjoy it... *sighs*

daedrian

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2012
    Brownsburg
    200k.jpg

Finally broke in my '97 ZJ

Top Bottom