Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I'll be getting some Christmas money to spend on something and was considering getting a CB radio for those offroad trips I'll be making eventually...I don't know much about them, but after browsing radioshack.com here's what I thought about getting...

Uniden Compact Professional Mobile CB Radio PRO-520XL : CB Radios | RadioShack.com

What do you think? I've been thinking about a 102" whip antenna...

I've got a small Midland radio I really like in the truck, a cheap RadioShack branded one in the CJ, and a Uniden for the TJ. They all work OK. Ran an external speaker, since the built-in ones are all pretty terrible.

I've been spending a bit more on the antenna. I like the tunable FireStiks. Never liked the long whips. They just smack into everything and eventually get bent and out of tune.

I want to get a nice handheld CB. Not the best range, but much more portable. I'd like to move between vehicles easily, use it when out of the vehicle (I end up spotting folks through obstacles a lot), and even loan it to the n00b that doesn't have a radio yet.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    I've got a small Midland radio I really like in the truck, a cheap RadioShack branded one in the CJ, and a Uniden for the TJ. They all work OK. Ran an external speaker, since the built-in ones are all pretty terrible.

I've been spending a bit more on the antenna. I like the tunable FireStiks. Never liked the long whips. They just smack into everything and eventually get bent and out of tune.

I want to get a nice handheld CB. Not the best range, but much more portable. I'd like to move between vehicles easily, use it when out of the vehicle (I end up spotting folks through obstacles a lot), and even loan it to the n00b that doesn't have a radio yet.

You have an SWR meter to tune your setup to?

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Sure. On a WARM day, though. :D Gotta do it outside. Make sure you have a tune-able antenna. One that actually has an adjustment, rather than cutting/trimming the wire.

More info than you would ever want to know about CB radios:
    Tech-Docs Index

Read the articles in the first two sections (Pre-purchase and Installation).

Google "cherokee antenna mount" for tons of ideas. Lots of guys seem to fashion a bracket to mount above the taillight, bolted under the liftgate. There are hood-channel mounts as well, and of course, you can drill holes for a standard mount.

Dick

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    Still curious

I just went to radio shack and bought the length I needed. Nothing fancy. Works just fine in 2 jeeps, my truck, and my car. Heck, in one of the Jeeps and my car, I just use a cheapo magnet antenna. Seems to get plenty enough range for me, but im not looking to talk to Canada either lol

Dick

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    I picked up Jeep #5 today, 6 if you count the XJ my wife bought. Planning on taking all the stuff from my trail ZJ and putting it on this one so its streetable too. $600, not a bit of rust, even on the floorboards! OD wont engage, but ive got a whole donor vehicle to fix that :rockwoot:

Pickin it up
    IMAG0619.jpg

IMAG0620.jpg

IMAG0621.jpg

IMAG0623.jpg

Sittin next to the donor at home
    IMAG0624.jpg

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    What coax cable do you guys recommend? How long for my Cherokee?
    For proper signal transmission, you need 18' or some increment (9', for instance). 18 should be fine for a Cherokee.

What mount did you get?

If your mount will work with it, I like the "firering" cables from Firestik (see a trend here?).

Something like this: 2-Piece FireRing Coax
    or this: Fire-Flex<SUP>®</SUP> Cables

Otherwise, just get a decent quality coax with stainless PL connectors.

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    For proper signal transmission, you need 18' or some increment (9', for instance). 18 should be fine for a Cherokee.

What mount did you get?

If your mount will work with it, I like the "firering" cables from Firestik (see a trend here?).

Something like this: 2-Piece FireRing Coax
    or this: Fire-Flex<SUP>®</SUP> Cables

Otherwise, just get a decent quality coax with stainless PL connectors.

I do not have a mounting bracket, nor a antenna base yet...looking for recommendations. I was thinking about making a bracket that mounts right above the rear taillight

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    ...also, my jeep suffered a brake malfunction on my way into columbus...not a good timing for things to start breaking.

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    I could use a little clarification on how the antenna, the base, and the mount connects together without causing interference....mind posting up how you set up your antenna and the base/mount?

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Base is grounded to the vehicle.

The antennae's center stud should be isolated from the mount (rubber or plastic rings isolate it).

The Antennae's outer stud should contact the grounded antennae mount.

The coax screws into the stud. The outer, threaded part of the coax will be grounded, and the center pin will feed up to the isolated antennae.

ant-mount.jpg

In the picture above, the antennae will screw into the Threaded Adapter at the top, and your coax cable will connect to the Coax Connector at the bottom. If you bought a spring (and I think you said you did), then it would replace the Threaded Adapter at the top.

Basically, be sure the center pin of the coax and the antennae does NOT come in contact with ground. That will be a direct short, and very bad for the radio.

Also be sure the mount, and the outer/threaded part of the coax is grounded. If not, we will not be able to tune it, and it will transmit very poorly. The most common problem is poor grounds at the antenna and at the radio.

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Base is grounded to the vehicle.

The antennae's center stud should be isolated from the mount (rubber or plastic rings isolate it).

The Antennae's outer stud should contact the grounded antennae mount.

The coax screws into the stud. The outer, threaded part of the coax will be grounded, and the center pin will feed up to the isolated antennae.

ant-mount.jpg

In the picture above, the antennae will screw into the Threaded Adapter at the top, and your coax cable will connect to the Coax Connector at the bottom. If you bought a spring (and I think you said you did), then it would replace the Threaded Adapter at the top.

Basically, be sure the center pin of the coax and the antennae does NOT come in contact with ground. That will be a direct short, and very bad for the radio.

Also be sure the mount, and the outer/threaded part of the coax is grounded. If not, we will not be able to tune it, and it will transmit very poorly. The most common problem is poor grounds at the antenna and at the radio.

so you are saying the SO-239 cox connector must be touching the grounded bracket but the copper wire must not be touching ground in any way shape and form...I understand this correctly?

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Correct.

The coax cable has two parts. The "outer" part connects to the screw-on connector and must be grounded. The "inner" part is that copper pin, and must NOT touch ground.

The antenna must only touch the center pin of the coax. Anything else is a short. That SO-239 has some plastic inside of it to isolate the center pin. That's also why there is a plastic shoulder washer between the antenna and mount.

When we throw an SWR meter on it, we'll know right away if it is shorted or not grounded. Short = no SWR at all. No ground = way high SWR. I'd rather have no ground, since a short can kill a radio right quick.

Top Bottom