• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Brownsburg
    HELP!!!!!

Okay so my daughter is driving a 1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited.

These are full time 4WD and it started making a bad hum and vibration from 20mph to 45mph. Then there would be a subtle thunk and it would smooth right out.

Took it to a mechanic and he indicated it needed a whole new front axle to the tune of $1,400.00.

I know the front ends on these are rather complicated and I don't have a ton of confidence in these guys.

I was wondering if any of you can recommend a good Jeep mechanic in the Indy area?

Its a ways from you, but Titus Transmissions in Avon has done good work for me in the past. I know a couple others, but not anywhere near your side of town. Maybe someone else can chime in from around there?

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    pretty much done for now. No more neutered dog look.
    View attachment 83173

It took me a while to come around to the gladiators, but that's a nice looking rig. I'll admit my bias, I like the sting gray JL's.

z9v04lS.jpg

1PrpUlw.jpg

Last edited:

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    Pulled off the front differential cover at the house and everything inside looks good. No metal shavings, chunks, and the magnet was clean.

I am really not buying that it needs a new axle from what I am seeing. Put it on the lift and everything it tight up front. Hand cranked the tires with the cover off and nothing funny happening.

Any thoughts? Going to tear into it more indeph tomorrow.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Thanks. It was my first choice and have not regretted it since.

While I was at the dealership I was asking them about when the pickup was coming out and all the sales guys kinda giggled that's been a unicorn coming out for years that never shows up. Figures that as soon as I buy a wrangler the pickup comes out, but I'd probably still make that choice today just because I'm going to buy a utility trailer this spring that'll be my truck bed.

Grogmister

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 13, 2012
    While I was at the dealership I was asking them about when the pickup was coming out and all the sales guys kinda giggled that's been a unicorn coming out for years that never shows up. Figures that as soon as I buy a wrangler the pickup comes out, but I'd probably still make that choice today just because I'm going to buy a utility trailer this spring that'll be my truck bed.
    I went to buy a Wrangler and ended up with a Gladiator. Always wanted a Jeep but I’ve only been without a truck once and complained the entire time because I didn’t have a truck. The other fact was in September the leasing deals on the Gladiators were amazing. $200/mo less to lease the Gladiator over the Wrangler and msrp on the Gladiator was a grand more. I’m pretty much done adding stuff at this point. All of it is bolt on so it can be removed and put back to stock if I turn it in when the lease is up. Your Wrangler is pretty sweet looking. The new JL rides better than previous models I have driven.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I went to buy a Wrangler and ended up with a Gladiator. Always wanted a Jeep but I’ve only been without a truck once and complained the entire time because I didn’t have a truck. The other fact was in September the leasing deals on the Gladiators were amazing. $200/mo less to lease the Gladiator over the Wrangler and msrp on the Gladiator was a grand more. I’m pretty much done adding stuff at this point. All of it is bolt on so it can be removed and put back to stock if I turn it in when the lease is up. Your Wrangler is pretty sweet looking. The new JL rides better than previous models I have driven.

I had a hard time giving up a crew cab for the 4dr wrangler, but to be honest I really don't miss getting calls from people I haven't heard from in years who only want to hang out for the sake of a strong(ish) back and big truck. I'm probably going to get a small utility trailer this spring and if someone wants to borrow that and smash it up I'd rather see that than them borrow a truck of mine. I'm also really enjoying the big empty lockable space in the back of my wrangler. The gladiator for me is just lust, I really do love my wrangler.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I had a vibe and clunk and it went away
    Then I had it a month later and the T case shifter moved.
    Two events. No probs in between.
    Fill time 5.2 L 1994 GC.

Got off work and was watching TV......knock on the door asking if that was my jeep in the middle of the road.. 1am

Cop musta thought I was drunk and just got home.

Yup. It had rolled off the drive way. Was older model full time where if no load on the viscous coupler itd roll.

Was in park, t case engaged.
    Only way to move it was to go 4 low. Then it stuck there.

Wanted 300 for new VC and 200 to put it in T case....after I pulled it. Yeah right.

I bought a used 242 w warranty and swapped it, had front d shaft shortened and total cost was 315.

Took me 5 hours to get it all out, drill out buated nutserts and other. good times.

30 mins to pit it all back.

Lifted....was easy to work on.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    The older ZJ would roll if you popped a front axle CV. They changed the T case later so that wouldnt happen.

Your 98 being 5.9. id swap in a 231. The 242 has a smaller shaft and allows 4wd on pavement and optional 2wd. Or replace it with whatever full timer yours has.

My 94 had a 249.

Being a 94 it could of had two diff types of input gear and couldnt tell till torn apart.....that gear another 120 bucks. So mixing and matching seemed silly.

I needed a 1.8" shaft to reach my transmission rear seal. Could not find any. Hence the " what shaft do i need....posible 120 bucks more".

Said screw it and got the warranty 242 w 1.55. sealed back of transmission w permatex and added fluid for the intermediate "reservoir".

Was no leak and working when the rest of it rotted out at 279k.

A clean 5.9 might be worthy of having a shop fix it. But they go by the book. They wont be up on parts swaps or upgrades.

Many jeep forums are FOS.
    There will be a good write up somewhere about your problem and possible fixes. But you will have to dig through a lot of BS.

Not sure what Tcase yours has. If same as 5.2 you can proly save $ and do a 231 swap.

Maybe save tires a bit by having 2 wd available.

Last edited:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Have a 98 now w 5.2L.
    No issues yet.
    If she blows ill do another swap.
    Local truck place sent my rear driveshaft off to shorten....fit the diff t case. That was a two day turnaround and 90 bucks.

So t case swap total was just under 6 hrs work....all hand tools, no air. 100 degree day.
    And had to have an extra hand putting it back together ( balance going on ).
    Cost w a couple wrenches ( one curved for top two studs )....$315

This close to 10 yrs ago.

No friggin way id do it on a non lifted Jeep.
    Then or now.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Mine has a cv type front driveshaft.
    Kept my old U joint one from my old Jeep, will swap yokes and convert when the time comes.

Id rather have u joint front axles too, if I had 2 wd capability.

Full time 4wd the cv stuff makes em more civilized on pavement.

Mines so old I may just run it as is. Spacer kit to go to 31s sitting on shelf. Be a little better at hauling deer out of the woods w minor lift. Stock last yr had some banging underneath

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    If you like full time 4wd thats fine.
    It might offer some security to some drivers

If you are cool w running 2wd on good pavement, ( selecting 4wd when things bad) then do a web search for 5.9L w 231 t case.

Bet somebody has it on YT.

Quick check on web shows complaints of 5.9 in 2wd....spins em when wet.

Guess those folks never drove rwd cars LOL.

Anyway, reportedly there were 242s on some ZJ and a swap w one of those might not need driveshaft mod.
    I dunno what mine came from, didnt care.
    Had rear driveahaft shortened and was happy.

IIRC V8 ZJ had T cases w 1.8" front shaft.
    No XJ's had V8, so proly all 1.55" or less.
    Dunno what or if any V8s had 231 or 242.

My dead 249 had a 1.8", but for the yr mine was made there were two types (reg and reverse cut).
    I'd have to pull my case apart, then if it couldnt be swapped to my 242, order a new one (for 120).
    This was my DD so I said screw it and gooped the 242 w 1.55" and it worked fine.

In fact the lady at the place I bought it (new england) said they do tons of such swaps and that it will outlast the rest of the Jeep.
    Of course on some jeep forums they howled and said I was FOS.
    An east coast Jeep shop............I'd take their word over some forum dweebs.

Been a few years and beers since I swapped, so had forgotten some details.
    Linkage was same, did swap speedometer gear.

I dunno if 249's were in six cylinder ZJ's.
    242 was in our 2004 WJ IIRC.

Hated that POS.

ZJ for the win.

A minty 5.9L w 2" spacer kti and 31's would be a beast w manners.
    They want big money for em now.

Guess some folks like a 242 on a 5.9L.

I blew up two 242s on XJs w moderate wheeling.
    So maybe unjustly concerned about a 5.9 on the street with one.

Last edited:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    RedMurph
    Top Bottom