• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Brownsburg
    I added some Baja Designs LP6 lights this weekend to the JL. They are super bright, have a high (spot) and low (driving) setting, as well as amber backlighting. The best part is that they put out enough heat that if the headlights freeze over in the winter, these generate more than enough heat on low beam to keep them clear. They also have 8 side shooting LEDs, so if I move the Rigid Side Shooters over to the JK, I can now drop the windshield, if I'm ever so inclined. They've got about 17,200 lumins firing forward (6 LEDs) and 2400 lumens firing to the sides (4 LEDs, 2 on each side of each light). They were expensive, but they are going to be the last auxillary lights I buy for the JL, at least facing forward. I'll probably come up with a couple of small flood lights for the rear at some point, but that's not really a priority. Here are some pics. I'll try and get some night pics at some point, but cell phones typically don't really show what the eyes really see.

High Beam:
    U3PVbdt.jpg

Low Beam:

4iGxovA.jpg

Back lights....

BK3LAnH.jpg

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Brownsburg
    I almost forgot....We've done more work on my son's WJ. It now has a new starter and we flushed the power steering system, replaced leaky power steering hoses, and refilled it. We also changed the transmission fluid and filters and put in a new oil pressure sending unit. Awhile back, we installed new spark plugs drained the radiator put in a new water pump, put some new upper and lower hoses on it, refilled with fresh Zerex G-05, and replaced the serpentine belt. It then got a bath and a fresh coat of Turtle Wax Ice (paste version). The only cosmetic flaw on it now are the corroded wheels. We're going to try to sand them down and refinish them with silver metalic paint. That should look pretty good, but if it doesn't, we'll either Plasti-Dip them or pick up a set of 17 inch JK Rubicon wheels off Craigslist. The 4.7 V8 is running like a top, and it shifts smooth as new. We've changed the transfer case fluid, too. Next up are brakes and new gear lube for the differentials and then later, a new rear output shaft seal on the transfer case. It has a slight drip, but not enough to spot the driveway, so we may hold off on that for awhile. A new radio head unit with Android Auto for navigation is on the horizon. I just have to find the right clearance or open box deal at Best Buy. My son is also itching to put a roof rack on it. He's got a thing for the overlanding look, Lol! He gets his license in a few months, so it is torturing him not to be able to drive it yet. :):

IEAem69.jpg
    SoJHv79.jpg

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Brownsburg
    I received windshield tie down brackets last week, so with today's perfect weather, it was time to shed the doors and try them out! The windshield folds after undoing just 6 bolts...2 for the wipers, and 4 along the top of the interior sport cage frame. Easy as pie. The kids loved it. We rode all around town and on some country roads. We got up to around 50mph. Sunglasses did the trick and I only got hit by a bug once.

I had to stop by the Jeep dealer to get a part for the JK. Customers were all over it. I think they'd never seen a modern Jeep with the windshield folded, lol. It caused a bit of a scene. A guy buying a Gladiator got pretty excited when he realized it can do this, as well. Anyway, I'll run it this way tomorrow before buttoning it back up tomorrow evening. That's as close to a motorcycle as I'm allowed to get.

v6M5qYc.jpg
    K60cqns.jpg

3lEFuCL.jpg

Scuba591

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    Noblesville
    Thought I’d pass on a good YouTube channel I’m watching. Lite brite nation. These two have done some crazy stuff to and with their JL. NEXT LINK OVER TO netflix and watch Britany compete on HyperDrive.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Brownsburg
    Thought I’d pass on a good YouTube channel I’m watching. Lite brite nation. These two have done some crazy stuff to and with their JL. NEXT LINK OVER TO netflix and watch Britany compete on HyperDrive.

I'm going to check that out. I heard she can really drive. I've spoken to Kevin a few times on JLWranglerforums.com and he's a really nice guy.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Brownsburg
    Bored and trying to resurrect a dead thread....

Oil change time for the JL! I picked up some Mobil 1 AP. It came to 23 bucks after a $12 rebate, which isn't bad for their best stuff. I also bought 13 Mobil 1 filters for 4 bucks each on clearance awhile back at Wallyworld. Their regular price was $15.99. I prefer Fram Ultras, but not when these are 4 bucks! I'll be sending a sample of the current Pennzoil Ultra Platinum to Blackstone Labs to see how it performed. I expect it to show very well.

The Mobil 1 AP 0w20 is pretty stout stuff. The flash point is 267 degrees, which is one of the highest I've seen in an oil. On the other end, it flows at 60 below zero, making it suitable for the Yukon Territory! I ran it on a previous oil change for 7500 miles and the Pentastar seemed to like it, according to Blackstone.
    GEsuAPw.jpg

Last edited:

WhitleyStu

Keep'em Scary Sharp!!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Whitley County/Allen County
    The Mobil 1 AP 0w20 is pretty stout stuff. The flash point is 267 degrees, which is one of the highest I've seen in an oil. On the other end, it flows at 60 below zero, making it suitable for the Yukon Territory! I ran it on a previous oil change for 7500 miles and the Pentastar seemed to like it, according to Blackstone.

I'm switching both of our JKs from regular Pennzoil 5W20 over to Pennzoil Platinum 5W20 Full Synthetic next oil change. Blackstone is just a few businesses from my wife's place of work. What kind of info are you looking for in the report and how much do you need to supply them with for a lab report?

Thanks,
    Stu

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I haven't tried the Annual Protection, since I change my oil fairly frequently. I typically do the 6 quart pack of Mobil 1 5w30 from Costco when they are running it for the instant $10 off which makes it $28 & change and have also cashed in on the $12 online rebate a couple of times now making it like $16 after rebate. FJ takes 5 1/2 qts so the 6 pack works out well. (I pick up OEM Toyota filters at the dealership down the road. If I buy 3 or more they typically give me a discount on them).

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Brownsburg
    I haven't tried the Annual Protection, since I change my oil fairly frequently. I typically do the 6 quart pack of Mobil 1 5w30 from Costco when they are running it for the instant $10 off which makes it $28 & change and have also cashed in on the $12 online rebate a couple of times now making it like $16 after rebate. FJ takes 5 1/2 qts so the 6 pack works out well. (I pick up OEM Toyota filters at the dealership down the road. If I buy 3 or more they typically give me a discount on them).

On paper, the AP and EP are not too different. The AP has a higher flash point, a very slightly lower pour point, and is very slightly thicker at 212 degrees. Both are said to have a high percentage of PAO base stock. I'll probably settle back to EP, since the AP is about 10 bucks more for a 5 quart jug. I'll be running a short enough OCI that I realliy won't realize any advantage to AP.

16 bucks for that M1 5w30 is a killer deal!

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    Just noticed this thread!

Representing for the TJs over here. '99 Sahara, 4.0/5 speed... In the midst of installing a new soft top. Just finished up an exhaust manifold job not too far back.

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    Okay....time.to vent!

Just dropped the Jeep off at the shop for the second time in less than a month...this time it is the water pump.

I get it ...Jeeps are cool but....this thing is nickel and dimming me.to death!

Currently it is living up to it's reputation. :xmad:

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    So... speaking of Jeeps costing people money. I'm in Fort Wayne and I'd like to look at getting a lift and bigger tires. I checked with the dealership and they were a little steep. I'm not looking for a backyard garage kit with a part time mechanic, and I want to make sure it gets done right. I'm looking at a 3" ish lift and moving to 35" tires.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    So... speaking of Jeeps costing people money. I'm in Fort Wayne and I'd like to look at getting a lift and bigger tires. I checked with the dealership and they were a little steep. I'm not looking for a backyard garage kit with a part time mechanic, and I want to make sure it gets done right. I'm looking at a 3" ish lift and moving to 35" tires.

There's a BUNCH of reputable off road shops up in the greater Elkhart area... Every 3rd vehicle up here is a lifted Jeep. Might consider giving some of them a call? It's not much of a trip to drive. I do my own work, so no direct experience.

The only place that does any sort of heavy suspension work that I have personal experience with in Fort Wayne is Fort Wayne Spring Service (and they've been around forever and do excellent work). Jeep lifting is probably outside of their normal work, but, never hurts to ask.

craigkim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Fishers
    I am thinking about getting out of my Tundra Crewmax and getting into a Wrangler Rubicon. I kinda want something different, I almost never use our truck bed, and we got a yellow lab, so it's going to be tight to haul all 4 family members and the dog in the Tundra.

I don't want to put him in the bed. As far as I can tell, there is very little incentive to buy a used jeep, as they seem to depreciate exceptionally slowly and the finance rates on new are better too.

I am a bit worried about giving up Toyota reliability and safety, but I have had 2 4runners (they were nice, but) I have always been interested in Jeeps. I don't go off road more than about twice per year, so it will really be more of a "family truckster" instead of a mudder. They look super cool. Damn,they get spendy though. Anyone use a Jeep as their family vehicle?

WhitleyStu

Keep'em Scary Sharp!!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Whitley County/Allen County
    I am in the same boat as you, but have a tacoma and want a Gladiator.....first year model run and FCA scare the **** out of me

The current Jeep design center was completed 18 years before Fiat bought into Chrysler so I wouldn't be scared of FCA putting out anything less than Jeep has been in the pre-FCA years. Also, the two Jeep Toledo machining and assembly facilities have been producing Jeeps since 1940 and 1910. We've had three new Jeeps since 1978 with no negative issues. What I like about Jeep is they keep the same suppliers for decades. For example Dana Fort Wayne has been supplying axles to Jeep since 1946.

Top Bottom