• ...and so much more!
  • Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Id check front axle CV joints first.
    If the boots good, could hide a busted / damaged joint.
    Most times boots torn and can see a bad CV joint.
    Being a V8 and full time 4wd.....hard sharp turn can pop a worn one.

BTDT

Always start at the weakest part LOL

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Wheel bearing units can be a real bear to remove.
    No bevel for chisel to tap around and walk out of knuckle. Nope.

Saw a guy slap an old rotor on and beat w deadblow. 5 smacks and he had wheelbearing/ axle out. Took me 2 hours tappity tap.

Ive done a few. Lucky for me a reputable shop is close by these days. I dropped mine off and went to work. Sure was easier on my back.

Scuba591

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    Noblesville
    I've thought about this for the JK, especially after getting used to them in the JL. The JK does hae a meaner heater, though.

Was it a pretty straightforward installation?

pretty much. I was able to get a lot of my questions answered from a local group I belong to. The wiring aspect messed with my head. Visions of waking up in the middle of the night to a burning Jeep!! I tapped into the M 8 fuse location on the buss. Learned about the load side of fuses, downstream power thru different wire gauge sizes.
    the heating elements install was the easiest part... remove seat, pull back upholstery, apply the element, run the connections, reverse process and reinstall the seat. Finding a good location for the switch took a minute also. I ended up putting it up high and to the left on a panel just below the instrument cluster, left hand of steering wheel. They work great. Two settings, high and low, heat up time is just a few minutes.
    i think water carbon was the brand from Amazon.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    The Tuffy JL Tailgate Lockbox is inbound. I've been riding the fence about adding one of these for some time. I really hope this doesn't screw up being able to toss the hard tops in the back, but I really like the idea of lockable box when the jeep gets stripped down and we park and go inside somewhere.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Brownsburg
    The Tuffy JL Tailgate Lockbox is inbound. I've been riding the fence about adding one of these for some time. I really hope this doesn't screw up being able to toss the hard tops in the back, but I really like the idea of lockable box when the jeep gets stripped down and we park and go inside somewhere.

It won't interfere with throwing the freedom panels back there, but they won't lay flat. I took a little off the spacers to get it closer to the tailgate, too. I love mine. It can easily hold an AR carbine and mags/ammo and such and keep it safe. The door functions as a nice table, too. We've prepared lunch on ours a few times. It gives you some nice secure storage when the top is down and doors are off, too!

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    It won't interfere with throwing the freedom panels back there, but they won't lay flat. I took a little off the spacers to get it closer to the tailgate, too. I love mine. It can easily hold an AR carbine and mags/ammo and such and keep it safe. The door functions as a nice table, too. We've prepared lunch on ours a few times. It gives you some nice secure storage when the top is down and doors are off, too!

That's what I'm looking forward to with mine. I'm probably going to buy or build a rack that holds the hard tops at an angle in the back since they wn't lay down flat anymore.

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99%
    95   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    84568696_2483209308594214_4568017496791056384_o.jpg

Lee11b

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 22, 2014
    North Webster
    Hey Principal SkinR!!!! A while ago, you said you changed oil on your son's Grand Cherokee. You said you used a Fram oil fliter, was wondering which one. Fram's low end filters are LOW end quality. Our mechanics
    at work and you tube were great to show me just how poor Fram's quality is. We use Napa Gold at work (basically Wix filters) never had issues, most of our vehicles go 300+ hours or 7,500 miles+ without rebuild
    issues.

The Legend, my 2004 Jeep Wrangler, UNLIMITED, gets Schaeffer oil and Napa Gold oil filters.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Brownsburg
    Hey Principal SkinR!!!! A while ago, you said you changed oil on your son's Grand Cherokee. You said you used a Fram oil fliter, was wondering which one. Fram's low end filters are LOW end quality. Our mechanics
    at work and you tube were great to show me just how poor Fram's quality is. We use Napa Gold at work (basically Wix filters) never had issues, most of our vehicles go 300+ hours or 7,500 miles+ without rebuild
    issues.

The Legend, my 2004 Jeep Wrangler, UNLIMITED, gets Schaeffer oil and Napa Gold oil filters.

Thanks, but no worries. It is a Fram Ultra, which is a different animal. It filters better than anything on the market. While Wix are well built, I'm not a fan because they don't filter that well. Their best is 99% single pass at 35 microns. The Fram Ultra is 99+% at down to 20 microns. Even the cheap Fram filters better, at 95% down to 20 microns, in the same ISO standard test. But I don't run them. Just the Ultras. I've done dozens of used oil analyses and they all show excellent filtration (low insolubles) with the Fram Ultras.

I'm running them right now in all of my vehicles and they've served well. The WJ currently is running Pennzoil Ultra Platinum to clean up any sludge, although I doubt it has any. The original owners ran whatever conventional 5w30 their mechanic had, but they faithfully changed it every 3k miles. They did do mostly short trips, though, so it is possible. If it is there, the PUP will clean it out. I'll keep running Shell or Mobil synthetics. I've got some Shell Rotella Gas Truck I got for free, after rebate, on deck, though. I've got enough for two runs with it, so that should cover a year and a half, or so.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    Who had the kool lights mounted on the hood of a JK they were side shooters of some type?

I also need a decent winch recommendation I think the rope is what I wanna try still have nightmares about dragging cables though mud.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Brownsburg
    Who had the kool lights mounted on the hood of a JK they were side shooters of some type?

I also need a decent winch recommendation I think the rope is what I wanna try still have nightmares about dragging cables though mud.

I've got spots on the JK and side shooting floods on the JL. They are great!

I've got rope on both Jeep's winches and I'd never want to go back to cable. Cable is better on the rocks, but in nearly every other scenario the rope is better and safer. You don't need gloves, although they are still a good idea, and if it breaks it just drops to the ground. It also saves a few pounds.

3nwcpAT.jpg

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Brownsburg
    We took advantage of the weather yesterday and cleaned up the boy's WJ. The Wrangler Tires and wheels are a tight fit, but they only rub at full lock in reverse, so it can wait a bit for the lift. It drives beautifully with them. We also threw a coat of new Turtle Wax Hybrid Ceramic spray wax on it. This stuff is supposed to last a long, long time. We'll see. It looks nice, though. Probably the next thing will be a brake job and then a nice stereo with Android Auto/Apple Car Play and some new speakers. I'm really liking this V8. It seems to be getting smoother, especially at idle and after a tank of Shell V-Power. It has had the Pennzoil Ultra Platinum cleaning things up for 1,000 miles now. I wish I could drop this engine in my JK. It is really strong. Oh yeah, my son also insisted on a "Trail Rated" badge, Lol! So we stuck one on there.

nwZDHk6.jpg
    Q4gGNlD.jpg
    UXZfV3n.jpg

craigkim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Fishers
    I am still loving my JL after about 4 months. To recap, I bought the Rubicon with the 35x12.5"s and the 4" lift kit. Mine is the 2.0 L. The only really interesting thing I can report is that I can get about 18.5 city out of it if I am gentle on the pedal, but it gets abysmal highway mileage. Whatever it is about the lift and the larger tires, I get about 12 highway. If there is a head wind, plan on about 10. I just really don't ever drive it on the highway or need to, so not a big deal but pretty surprising anyway.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I am still loving my JL after about 4 months. To recap, I bought the Rubicon with the 35x12.5"s and the 4" lift kit. Mine is the 2.0 L. The only really interesting thing I can report is that I can get about 18.5 city out of it if I am gentle on the pedal, but it gets abysmal highway mileage. Whatever it is about the lift and the larger tires, I get about 12 highway. If there is a head wind, plan on about 10. I just really don't ever drive it on the highway or need to, so not a big deal but pretty surprising anyway.
    To recap, your face is hated! I’m still struggling along in my ‘14 JK. I want a 2 door JL Rubi, or a Gladiator, the Finance Minister is ok with the JK?

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    RedMurph
    Top Bottom