Any INGOers listen to Alternative Music?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I listen to mostly Alt Nation on XM. I've always like the non cookie cutter voices. Especially groups like Manchester Orchestra, Cage the Elephant, Gotye, etc. Stuff that's actually original. Alt Nation plays a lot of the mellower side of rock.

mkelsey

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jun 13, 2009
    Springville
    I listen to mostly Alt Nation on XM. I've always like the non cookie cutter voices. Especially groups like Manchester Orchestra, Cage the Elephant, Gotye, etc. Stuff that's actually original. Alt Nation plays a lot of the mellower side of rock.

I like Gotye and like what I have heard of Manchester Orchestra(only a couple of tracks) but I'm still undecided on Cage the Elephant, some of it sounds good but some of it sounds awful(to me) too. Might have to check out the alt XM station mine normally stays on Bluegrass Junction about 90% of the time.

Last edited:

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    I like to listen to a lot of different stuff but I can never remember any of the damned band names! :rolleyes:

that's age old man ;)

yep I listen to just about everything. can have alternative going in the house to country in the car back to the house and have Irish music playing out... :dunno:

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    Yes, and my wife hates it. I like cake, the bloodhound gang, harvey danger....alternative music of the late 90's is my thing :-)

Me too. Greenday, Bush, No Doubt, Smashing Pumpkins, and also all the Grunge bands, Nirvana, Alice in Chains, Pearl Jam.

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    Last week I picked up the new LP CD and a Three Days Grace CD at Hastings. On my weekly trip to Goodwill I picked up a Weezer CD, Cake's Prolonging the Magic CD, A Glen Miller CD and a mixed Big Band CD.

I'm pretty varied with what I listen to. If I need to get stuff done it has to be upbeat. For bike riding I prefer, LP, Stabbing Westward, Three Days Grace, Pillar and Breaking Benjamin. I will probably add some dance music to the mix once I get tired of the above groups.

I'm glad to see Sublime on the list. The song Santeria always makes me smile. Who doesn't want to pop a cap in someone's a*s that has done them wrong? :)

I have found that I like to listen to Big Band music when I want music but need to concentrate on what I am doing. It relaxes me. Enrique Iglesias falls into this category too.

I bought Gotye's Making Mirrors CD a couple months ago. I was a little disappointed the songs weren't all more like the Somebody that I use to Know song. I burned a copy of the CD for my daughter and she asked if I burned it on the wrong speed. I told her that was just how the CD sounded.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UVNT4wvIGY

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    I don't practice santeria, I ain't got no crystal ball, but if I had a million dollars I'd spend it all.

Tell Sanchito that if he knows what is good for him he best go run and hide,
    Daddy's got a new .45,
    And I won't think twice to stick that barrel straight down sancho's throat,
    Believe me when I say that I got somethin' for his punk a*s.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    Curious how many people actually pay attention to the lyrics of songs. Do lyrics matter to you? Personally lyrics can make or break a song for me. I prefer the lyrics to be clean. I can deal with a couple curse words but I'd rather not have a whole song of them. I like songs I can sing along with and not feel like a harlot or a thug if someone overhears me singing to myself.

I use music as a form of therapy. I like songs I can relate to. Actually for the past several months I have been buying a lot of different CD's in search of the music that can express the words that are trapped in my head. Anyone else do this?

murph

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 21, 2011
    Lawrence County
    Curious how many people actually pay attention to the lyrics of songs. Do lyrics matter to you? Personally lyrics can make or break a song for me. I prefer the lyrics to be clean. I can deal with a couple curse words but I'd rather not have a whole song of them. I like songs I can sing along with and not feel like a harlot or a thug if someone overhears me singing to myself.

I use music as a form of therapy. I like songs I can relate to. Actually for the past several months I have been buying a lot of different CD's in search of the music that can express the words that are trapped in my head. Anyone else do this?

I do haha. If you like Linkin Park you should check out Thousand Foot Krutch. They don't cuss at all in their music. They have a song called Fly on the Wall and I love it. When I have a bad day I crank it in the car and belt it out :D Makes me feel better at least.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fpf4-FI_Xmk

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    I do haha. If you like Linkin Park you should check out Thousand Foot Krutch. They don't cuss at all in their music. They have a song called Fly on the Wall and I love it. When I have a bad day I crank it in the car and belt it out :D Makes me feel better at least.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fpf4-FI_Xmk

Awesome song, I will definitely check this group out. I'm listening to some of their other songs on YouTube as I type. I like the lyrics, the vocals and the music is really good. I like instrumentals mixed in the sound.

murph

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 21, 2011
    Lawrence County
    Awesome song, I will definitely check this group out. I'm listening to some of their other songs on YouTube as I type. I like the lyrics, the vocals and the music is really good. I like instrumentals mixed in the sound.

They've been around for a good while. Their last 3 albums have been awesome! This latest one though is all theirs as they went independent. Skillet is another band that you might check out. They don't cuss either. I saw Skillet and TFK in concert some yrs back and it was the best concert I've ever been to! Honestly there are a lot of Christian rock bands that are doing more positive music so its not all about God but still more positive than the stuff that tends to bring someone down after listening to.it.
    Three Days Grace is awesome too! Breaking Benjamin has a few songs I like as well.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Last edited:

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    They've been around for a good while. Their last 3 albums have been awesome! This latest one though is all theirs as they went independent. Skillet is another band that you might check out. They don't cuss either. I saw Skillet and TFK in concert some yrs back and it was the best concert I've ever been to! Honestly there are a lot of Christian rock bands that are doing more positive music so its not all about God but still more positive than the stuff that tends to bring someone down after listening to.it.
    Three Days Grace is awesome too! Breaking Benjamin has a few songs I like as well.

I'm not opposed to profanity, my favorite groups drop a few words here and there, I just don't like it when songs have a lot of it. I'm embarrassed if someone catches me listening to it if there's a lot. I really liked the song 'Get Back' by Ludacris but always felt like I was being naughty when I was listening to it.

When I first started listening to Linkin Park's Hybrid Theory CD I felt a little naughty because I thought the music sounded so angry. I listened to it mostly when I was upset. Then one day when I was upset, I actually listened to the music and looked up the lyrics. I was hooked on their music after that. The newer stuff isn't as angry sounding and has some really beautiful lyrics.

Stabbing Westward is another group that teeters on the metal side. They have some awesome lyrics. Here's a couple of my favorites of their songs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xURtbtfpOA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sw93paI_tkw&feature=related

I like songs that can help me put my emotions in perspective without making me want to cry in my drink.

Top Bottom