any comments on george carlin anti american quotes?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Carlin is one of my favorites.

I won't put him down for anything. His major way to make money was to shock people and make them think. Making people laugh was just a sideline for the shock and think. As such he was willing and able to say anything. Lots of the Hippy generation did not care for America or american pride.

Chris rock called the 4th of July "White peoples day". I think he did it for shock and to make people think. I don't think I will pick on him either. As a matter of fact from what i saw on the forth he may have a point.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I used to think George Carlin was one of the funniest comedians there was. But as he got older, he got much more cynical and even "dark". I heard him do a stand-up a couple years ago and it was all about death and really wasn't funny at all.

In the old days, he would have me crying I was laughing so hard.

Ever notice how anyone driving slower than you is an idiot and anyone driving faster is a maniac? -George Carlin

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Carlin said things I really liked, and some things I didn't much care for. All in all he said nothing as bad or as anti American as a lot of our elected officials and celebrities of today get away with.

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    I used to think George Carlin was one of the funniest comedians there was. But as he got older, he got much more cynical and even "dark". I heard him do a stand-up a couple years ago and it was all about death and really wasn't funny at all.

Ever notice how anyone driving slower than you is an idiot and anyone driving faster is a maniac? -George Carlin

Yeah, he kinda went the way of Lenny Bruce.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Carlin made me laugh quite a few times when I was (a lot) younger. Never really thought of him as un-American, but never really listened to him in his later years either.

Un-American?? George still can't compete for that prize, especially since the official spelling of "Un-American" has officially been changed to "Obama". :twocents:

Last edited:

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond

Well if he died in 2008 and you saw him a couple years ago, he was talking about death because he was dead. :)

If it was prior to his death he probably knew his ticket was coming up.

jdwhitak

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    I think the OP misunderstood Carlin. You can't have pride in something you just happen to be. Like being black, female or even American. Pride comes from accomplishing something.

1nthechmber

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2012
    So everyone out there on this site is misunderstood when they say they are proud to be an American?

Sorry jdwhitak....I just disagree....

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Pride and shame are two things that I try to avoid - and I fail a lot, but get a little better at it as I grow.

For me only: Pride in a result, an accomplishment well executed, having a son or daughter, it's easy to have pride in things like that. I think it's wrong however. Spiritually destructive anyway. For me.

Shame is something I feel when I've done something wrong that I should've known better not to do. Same as with Pride, I cope with it as I age. I certainly don't dismiss my wrongs - I just don't beat the hell out of myself about it to death. And hopefully make fewer shameful acts as I get older.

Pride and Shame. Two sides of the very same coin.

My country? I love it. I'll never not love my country.

VikingWarlord

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 1, 2012
    Noblesville
    I think the OP misunderstood Carlin. You can't have pride in something you just happen to be. Like being black, female or even American. Pride comes from accomplishing something.

Of course you can. He believed that it's stupid to have pride in something you were born into. I happen to agree with it, others don't. Then again, I've actually done things in my life worth being proud of.

This is not the same as being un-American, nor is it not loving your country. It's about earning something rather than getting it because you were born to it.

The OP probably saw this on Facebook.

576119_4370231859324_2026949985_n.jpg

Bahrutile

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2012
    I love my country, that being said I am often very un proud of the things my country does... Being an american means standing up for what you believe in and not going along with everything about the government, people are quick to bash Obama, but I saw more of my liberties and rights, and freedoms disappear during the last presidents two terms in office, I'm not saying I'm a fan of Obama, I just love my country... I'm American we are all to blame for our countries issues... Mr Carlin was a wise man

jLr

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Of course you can. He believed that it's stupid to have pride in something you were born into. I happen to agree with it, others don't. Then again, I've actually done things in my life worth being proud of.

This is not the same as being un-American, nor is it not loving your country. It's about earning something rather than getting it because you were born to it.

The OP probably saw this on Facebook.

576119_4370231859324_2026949985_n.jpg

Doesn't sound un-American to me.

People who get offended easily should probably avoid stand-up comedy all together. I enjoy all sorts of humor about race and gender and such, but it doesn't mean I am racist or sexist. It doesn't mean the comedian is racist or sexist. Lighten up people.

BuddieReigns

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2012
    Muncie
    Leeny Bruce's autobiography is hilarious, up until he goes on and on and obsesses about the meaning of obscenity and his court cases. Bill Hicks ruled.

Top Bottom