• pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    CHAPTER 6
    Washington​

Speaker Grant was quietly pacing around the oval office with the OPERATION AFTERLIFE PLANS in his hands. He was scanning through the papers trying to find a good place to start reading up on the operation he had just ordered to be adapted to the current situation. He was nearly overwhelmed by the sheer size of the file with papers dating back to 1958. A little frustrated he stopped to look out of the oval office window. Truman was somewhat annoyed to see one sign that Washington was getting back to normal, protesters had begun to picket in front of the White House. He could not read any of the signs being carried because the letters were too small for the distance, but someone had placed a large banner on the fence that read “REMEMBER KATRINA!” Damn don’t these people realize how huge of an undertaking this relief will be? We’ve only had a few days to get things rolling and they are already trying to crucify me. But his thoughts were interrupted by a knock at the door to the oval office. A young white house aide entered followed by the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff.

Admiral Rockwell Tory was an old school Admiral that had graduated at the top of his class at Annapolis. He was from Iowa with a blue collar family background, much like himself. He had exceled in high school in just about everything he did. He had lettered in multiple athletic disciplines, and graduated with a 4.0 GPA majoring in English, Science, and Industrial Arts. He had received a Congressional appointment to Annapolis through the efforts of his Uncle who had received the Medal of Honor as a Marine for action connected to the battle for Henderson Field on Guadalcanal during WWII serving under Chesty Puller. Truman had heard a rumor that his Uncle was furious that he chose the Navy over the Marine Corp. But his love of Science and Engineering led him to study nuclear propulsion which eventually led to the longest career commanding a Ballistic Missile Submarine in Naval history. That earned him the nickname “Boomer” among the rank and file of the navy but to his close friends he was known as The Rock or simply Rock for his strict discipline and adherence to military code. When his last sub was decommissioned he was convinced to remain in the navy to oversee the building of the latest versions of Nimitz class aircraft carriers. The first of which was the USS Ronald Regan.

“Good evening Mr. Speaker” began the Admiral, “I have the casualty report for the convoy out of Ohio to Indianapolis.” The Admiral handed Truman several sheets of freshly printed paper. Truman laid down the Afterlife file and scanned the report. It was detailed and lengthy for such a short time span. “I’ll have to read this later, can you give me the short version” asked Truman? “We lost two Humvees’ and two 2 ½ ton in the initial blast, we lost seven more 2 ½ ton trucks and their supplies which took direct hits from the RPGs, 7 more Humvees’ were severely damaged because they were in between the 7 trucks that that were destroyed. The casualty total is 26 dead and 28 wounded with half of them in critical condition. We do anticipate a few of them not to make it, but because there were plenty of medical personnel and supplies in the convoy we are hopeful that they will recover.” stated Rockwell with obvious pain in his voice. “Most of the wounded have been flown back to Wright Patterson but a few of the most critical were flown to a local hospital in Richmond Indiana to be stabilized after it was determined that it was still in operation.”

“I feel like I’ve made a dreadful error, and am responsible for their deaths; I have damn little military experience” said Truman in a voice that was on the verge of cracking under the stress. “YOU are not responsible” stated Rock emphatically. “The fracking terrorists are. You did your best to get aid to the earthquake victims, no one saw this coming for sure. All we had for any warning was a little bit of increased chatter not enough to know what was coming.” Truman looked at the Admiral and could see the fury and determination in his eyes. Truman took a deep breath and asked “How are we doing on determining who is responsible for this?” “I’ve got the best people I could find from all branches of our intelligence services. And I have best Intelligence officer I know, Commander Egan Powell, heading up the team. He’s a bit eccentric but he has a knack for finding terrorists, getting inside their heads, and breaking codes.” “Good” replied the Speaker, “I’m going to be relying on you heavily Admiral Tory I have served many years on the Armed Services committee, but I’ve never put on a uniform so your expertise in this matter is what I’m going need from you the most.”

“Yes sir I anticipated that, I have already assembled a team to begin the work of modifying Operation Afterlife, and here is a basic outline of what we’ll recommend” began the Admiral. “First we would like to avoid putting boots on the ground considering the nature of the weapons we are planning to deploy. But we will have a plan for that that will most likely consist of a SEAL team supported by a Marine recon platoon. But we believe the best plans would consist of as yet an undetermined number of AH-64 Apache gunships and UH-60 Blackhawks armed with AGM-114 Hellfire Missiles with the appropriate warheads. In the event the terrorists are in a high altitude environment where helicopters are not able to go, then we’ll use unmanned MQ-1B Predators, MQ-9 Reapers and MQ-1C Grey Eagles. We also are working on a plan to use KC-130 Harvest Hawks supported by A-10 Warthogs.” “I am very impressed with your initial outline Admiral keep me up to date with all the Intel and the plan of attack I want every scrap of information in front of me before I send more of our men into harm’s way.” “I will do everything in my power to make sure you can make an informed and proper decision Mr. Speaker.” Truman reached out and shook the general’s hand instead of saluting, because he was still acting Commander-in-chief. He accepted and left the room. Truman then sat down at the presidential desk and opened up the file “Operation Afterlife” and began to read.

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    The first page he selected after more searching began with a memo on White House stationary dated sometime in1981the date had been somewhat obscured by time, but Truman thought it probably was soon after the return of the hostages from Iran, It read:

From the Office of the President of the United States,
    The threat of global terrorism and unstable hostile governments continues to grow at an unacceptable rate. It shall be the policy of this office to combat global terrorism and any other foreign threat with every available resource. Therefore the Defense department is hereby directed to resume development of the “Enhanced Radiation Warhead”. This Warhead shall be developed in conjunction with conventional weapons systems that can be rapidly adapted to the use of said warhead. Such weapons should be of a tactical nature to include but not limited to ASM Missiles, Multiple Environment Surface-Attack Missiles, and Artillery shells.

It is the firm belief of this office that development of such a weapon system is vital to the security of the United States and our allies. In addition it would serve the cause of global security to have such a weapon that would eliminate enemy forces and cause minimal collateral damage to the surrounding infrastructure, thus reducing the economic impact of such conflicts on the worlds markets. Deployment of such a weapon would also minimize the impact on innocent non-combatants by enabling rapid rebuilding of such infrastructures due to the smaller destructive blast radius of such a weapon.

The memo was marked Top Secret. A second White House memo was attached with another unreadable date although Speaker Grant could make out that the year was probably 1988 or 1989 because it mentioned the START 1 negotiations, and that treaty was signed in 1991. It also was marked Top Secret It read in part:

The Office of the President of the United States hereby directs the Department of Defense to remove and safely store all “Enhanced Radiation Warheads” at a secret and secure storage facility in a manner such that their rapid deployment would not be compromised. It is further directed that continued development be scaled down to the Laboratory level and moved underground to the secret and secure research facility, Groom Lake, Nevada.
    The rest of the memo spoke about increased espionage activity surrounding the beginning of the START 1 treaty by the Soviets. They were apparently concerned about the Soviets gaining knowledge of the project and using it as leverage in the negotiations. It was also believed the Soviets were developing their own version according to our own intelligence networks. The next set of documents that Truman found amongst the technical reports that were intermingled with letters and memos appeared to be a brief outline of the history of the Weapon system. While Truman studied Law and business in college, he always had a fond interest in science tinkering with different things like Hobby Shop chemistry sets and small model rockets. So he read on:

A Brief History of the Enhanced Radiation Warhead

Summer of 1958- While conducting research on developing a large thermonuclear weapon, Sam Cohen introduces the idea of removing the uranium from a hydrogen bomb to allow neutrons to travel great distances and penetrate even heavily shielded armor and structures.

1961-The Kennedy administration decides not to develop a neutron bomb. Because doing so would break the moratorium on nuclear testing being observed by the United States and the Soviet Union.

Later in 1961 the Soviet Union breaks the nuclear testing moratorium.

1960- The first successful neutron bomb detonated.

1970s-The Carter Administration proposes modernizing the US nuclear arsenal by installing neutron warheads on the Lance Missiles and artillery shells planned for deployment in Europe.

1977-The West Germans strongly protest the deployment of neutron devices, because they believe their soil will likely be the battleground.

1978-President Carter bows to international and domestic pressure and defers deployment conditional on Soviet restraint on military production and force deployments.

1980-France detonates a neutron device.

1981-President Regan re-authorizes production of neutron warheads for the Lance Missiles.

The rest of that paragraph was lost to time. The bottom edges were well worn and tattered, so Truman flipped to the next page.

1982-France begins production of neutron devices.

1986-France abandons their production of neutron warheads due to internal and international pressure.

The historical document ended there although there was evidence that other pages had been attached, there was no way to tell if that had been intentional or accidental. Truman also noted that there was a foot note referencing a nuclear watch organization as the source for the information. This puzzled him, why didn’t just have their own documentation? Perhaps it was elsewhere in the massive file. Truman began separating the technical documents from the memos and found that during the 90’s the neutron program was kept alive but its budget was cut to bare bones and approximately 80% of its personnel were reassigned in favor of a conventional weapons program called Metal Augmented Charge (MAC) Thermobarics.

In the 1990’s the Energetic Materials and Ordnance Branch worked with China Lake to developed non-liquid FAEs containing aluminum particles. The goal was a solid FAE with greater impulse (pressure over time) than conventional explosives. They were successful in developing a class of explosives that demonstrated greater impulse than non-augmented explosives. The work received a classified patent.

The new warhead contains a fluorinated aluminum powder layered between the warhead casing and the PBXN-112 explosive fill. When the warhead detonates the aluminum mixture is dispersed and rapidly burns. The resultant sustained high pressure is extremely effective against enemy personnel and structures.

As he read on he found that these warheads were used on a variety of weapons systems predominantly the AGM-114 Thermobaric Hellfire missile. Which was extensively used in Operation Iraqi Freedom. As he continued to search and separate the papers he came across a top secret memo attached to a newspaper article quoting an Al Jazeera reporter that accused the US of using neutron and phosphorus weapons in the attack on the Baghdad airport before the April 9, 2003 capture of the Iraqi capital. The weapons incinerated 2000 elite Republican Guard troops but left the structures intact. The sender and recipients names and or office names had been redacted, strange even for an above top secret file. It simply said “Do we have a Leak?” Truman set that aside by itself and continued to search, because he still had not found a specific reference to “Project Afterlife”.

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Just thought I ought to post a little disclaimer for my up coming posts. I believe everyone realizes this is a fictitious story. But as many writers do I have woven in many real historical facts and events to add to the realism and credibility of the story. And the next part of the story will contain fictionalized events that would have taken place during Bush 43's Administration. This should not be construed as any sort of political statement, this is purely entertainment and fictitious. And I will probably never mention anyone in his administration by name, so as to keep the story as fictional as possible.

Also I hate to beat my own drum, but I getting ribbed by my brother SSGSAD that he reached his Gold Badge before I did. He's got nearly 3000 posts and I'm at close to 1500. I told him I'd probably reach my Gold Badge in less posts. Hint Hint!

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Just thought I ought to post a little disclaimer for my up coming posts. I believe everyone realizes this is a fictitious story. But as many writers do I have woven in many real historical facts and events to add to the realism and credibility of the story. And the next part of the story will contain fictionalized events that would have taken place during Bush 43's Administration. This should not be construed as any sort of political statement, this is purely entertainment and fictitious. And I will probably never mention anyone in his administration by name, so as to keep the story as fictional as possible.

Also I hate to beat my own drum, but I getting ribbed by my brother SSGSAD that he reached his Gold Badge before I did. He's got nearly 3000 posts and I'm at close to 1500. I told him I'd probably reach my Gold Badge in less posts. Hint Hint!

Keep up the good work! The latest chapters have a Dan Brown feel to them...good job!

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Another gap

I don't have Writers block, but I do have midterms to study for, so the next one will probably be a little while. Sorry to keep you all waiting but this Networking class and the Programming class are really Kicking my @$$! good thing there's only 4 more weeks!

Outlaw

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 1, 2011
    Cornfield east of Indy
    I was thinking and had to share.

So I'm driving west on 70 from Richmond back to indy and all I can think about is picturing me in a convoy with helicopters above and some terrorists waiting for me at the Sr109 exit lol. Good job pin

ironmanran

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Lafayette
    Oh my gosh your story is amazing I showed it to three guys at work all became hooked and are now INGO members. Love this kind of reading! Are their any books out there who's storys are about when SHTF? Btw this needs published. Then made into a movie for all of America to watch! I think you've found a way to suplaments you income... Just saying... Keep up the great work

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I was thinking and had to share.

So I'm driving west on 70 from Richmond back to indy and all I can think about is picturing me in a convoy with helicopters above and some terrorists waiting for me at the Sr109 exit lol. Good job pin

I aim to please

Oh my gosh your story is amazing I showed it to three guys at work all became hooked and are now INGO members. Love this kind of reading! Are their any books out there who's storys are about when SHTF? Btw this needs published. Then made into a movie for all of America to watch! I think you've found a way to suplaments you income... Just saying... Keep up the great work

I would consider it If I could only get through my Fraking Networking and Programming classes. :xmad: :wallbash:

Top Bottom