• ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I have a tendency to go out lightning fast with anesthesia but I also tend to wake up in the middle of procedures. The doctors get freaked out when someone starts talking from under the magic blue napkin.
    I (sort of) woke up halfway through 4 wisdom teeth being extracted at once (and yes, I was under). I heard the dentist say, "That's two", and then I heard a big CRUNCH and went right back out. :):

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I (sort of) woke up halfway through 4 wisdom teeth being extracted at once (and yes, I was under). I heard the dentist say, "That's two", and then I heard a big CRUNCH and went right back out. :):
    Lol. I woke up while they were repairing my left biceps tendon. I woke up and all I could see was blue. No one was talking but I could feel my left arm being tugged around. I couldn't feel any pain so I laid there for a few seconds until I realized where I was and what was happening. I said "Hey Doc, we getting close to being done?" or something to that effect and everything in the room stopped. I heard the Doc say "Hang on Mr Nash, we'll get you taken care of in just a second". I heard a set of feet moving quickly out of the room then a moment later two sets came back in. I heard the anesthesiologist tell me to hold on and that was it.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Exactly where my mind goes but I was hoping there might be an actual, legitimate reason. Wouldn't it be a crazy ****ing world if we were provided with things like choices, prices, etc. when it comes to medical treatment?
    I experienced this padding once. Wife giving birth. It was a VBAC so not without some risk. So hospital only, but she was relying on just a Doula.

Doula had mild concerns in the final stretch, so she called down to the on call and told her to not go too far. WE DONT NEED YOU NOW, but want you to not be blindsided IF WE CALL FOR HELP LATER. Just be prepared.

10 minutes later, a chick in a lab coat wanders in and stands away by the door and watches. 5 mins later, out pops my daughter.

Lab coat steps forward, and I see she is a doc. She puts her hand on my wife's shoulder and says "you did good Mom!" and walked out.

2 weeks later she sends us a $5,000 bill for her L&D services.

Billing was VERY intrigued when we explained what she did (didnt do)

Never heard about it again.

Reactions: Leo

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Insurance doesn't pay for **** until I'm out of pocket $5000/yr.

Insurance is another word which has been redefined in recent years. It used to mean something other than paying monthly premiums and getting little other than claimed discounts for simply having insurance to begin with.
    HSA?

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I experienced this padding once. Wife giving birth. It was a VBAC so not without some risk. So hospital only, but she was relying on just a Doula.

Doula had mild concerns in the final stretch, so she called down to the on call and told her to not go too far. WE DONT NEED YOU NOW, but want you to not be blindsided IF WE CALL FOR HELP LATER. Just be prepared.

10 minutes later, a chick in a lab coat wanders in and stands away by the door and watches. 5 mins later, out pops my daughter.

Lab coat steps forward, and I see she is a doc. She puts her hand on my wife's shoulder and says "you did good Mom!" and walked out.

2 weeks later she sends us a $5,000 bill for her L&D services.

Billing was VERY intrigued when we explained what she did (didnt do)

Never heard about it again.
    You can't see it but I have my shocked face on.

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Few years ago when I was put under for fixing my belly button hernia, it took so long for me to come back out of it they were threatening to admit me into a hospital room. And if there were anti-nausea meds in that mix, they sucked at their job. Think my toes were trying to leave me the hard way.

Last time I did suffer through a colonoscopy, the anesthesia was so mild I was more-or-less awake the entire time. Probably b/c I let them know how horribly I seem to respond to being put all the way out now.

Hope to heaven above I never need emergency knocking out, as I have a feeling I may never wake back up from it.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    You can thank this jackass...

View attachment 369476
    I hear this, but several retirees are liking it. I am talking about retirees that would fit right in with the INGO crowd.

I was lamenting how I had planned to retire early but my wife uses a lot of healthcare and I would probably have to work until she was on Medicare. Thanks to Obama care they were able to retire earlier and now so may I. So when I retire at 59/62 instead of 67, I may very well call him up and thank him.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    I'm slowly draining the last one I had. Living off of a pension now so once it's gone it's gone.
    I am on an HSA and I do everything I can to pay my deductible out of pocket. My monthly budget includes annual deductible/12.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I am on an HSA and I do everything I can to pay my deductible out of pocket. My monthly budget includes annual deductible/12.
    I had two at one time. One was murdered by dentists for my daughter's mouth. The other never had much in it to begin with and it'll be gone by next year most likely.

I'm kind of over the whole medical/health obsession anyway. Had a physical recently and asked my doc if I could come off of the daily meds. She looked at me as if that may have been the first time anyone's ever asked that question. I'm down 45lbs from when I retired and most everything has changed as far as eating, sleeping, etc.. I have a feeling I don't need some of what I'm taking. She lowered my doses and I feel no different, having more blood work in another couple weeks to see how things shake out. I'm ready to be a non participant in the medical industry.

I'm torn between letting God take me when he decides and resisting via medical intervention to spend more time here. I'm not ready to go necessarily but I'm also not willing to put my family in debt trying to squeak out more time.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    I had two at one time. One was murdered by dentists for my daughter's mouth. The other never had much in it to begin with and it'll be gone by next year most likely.

I'm torn between letting God take me when he decides and resisting via medical intervention to spend more time here. I'm not ready to go necessarily but I'm also not willing to put my family in debt trying to squeak out more time.
    Boy I am fighting that fight right now....dentistry that is. My wife's disease has given her horrible acid reflux that over 20+ years have destroyed her teeth. I will try to give the short version, but unless you can prove medical necessity, medical, deductible $3500, won't touch dental anything. New dentures, full mouth, ~$50k. Dental covers $1000. She has lost multiple teeth and has to have an endoscopy every other year now. In the last month 2 more teeth broke. They just break while she is eating and I mean eating normal food not crunching on a bone. That is why we started going to Chicago because NW has a center specifically for her disease. They have experience in jumping through the hoops that will get her care covered under medical necessity. That is a lot of money to have on the sideline. It's affecting my retirement too because if it doesn't go in her mouth it will almost take care of my remaining mortgage. Anyway, the first thing the gastroenterologist there said was the damage was so severe she would not do an endoscopy without having another doctor in the room and having some dental something or the other done to ensure a broken tooth will not block an airway during the procedure. Then they tested mobility of her esophagus which basically showed that for her food to move normally it needs to be the consistency of baby food which is something she clearly can't do. No doctor in indiana ever thought of running such tests.

Anyway, God does all the deciding anyway. I don't know all the details, but I can understand some of where you are coming from. You are a good man with the best of intentions for your family.

Maybe this story will help, maybe not. Who knows. :)

I recently got this knee replaced and went on disability. My presbyter noticed I brought a nice new thick prayer book to confession. After I made it through confessing to Christ all I could think of so I would be ready to go, my presbyter said the absolution and then started giving me the usual advice. Then he said something pretty smart.

I see you have a nice new thick prayerbook there. Let me give you some advice. Most days, you are probably going to be in pain. All those ideas you have about saying all those prayers and reading all those Bible chapters are going to go up in smoke. You just focus on saying "Lord have mercy" and meaning it. If you do that. Everything else will fall in place.

It was great advice and it has proven to be true several times, but as I have had time to sit here and ponder over it, I have realized you don't have to be in a medical crisis or anything else for it to be true. I am not saying that saying your prayers and reading your bible are not life giving activities, they are. But if all you can do and sometimes all we need to do is say "Lord have mercy". That prayer sums up the entire scripture in a nutshell. Mankind chose to disobey God. God knew that it would happen, but He also had a plan. His plan was to have mercy on all of us. It's simply up to us to accept it. And the best way to start accepting it is to ask for it.

Anyway sorry for the thread jack.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Boy I am fighting that fight right now....dentistry that is. My wife's disease has given her horrible acid reflux that over 20+ years have destroyed her teeth. I will try to give the short version, but unless you can prove medical necessity, medical, deductible $3500, won't touch dental anything. New dentures, full mouth, ~$50k. Dental covers $1000. She has lost multiple teeth and has to have an endoscopy every other year now. In the last month 2 more teeth broke. They just break while she is eating and I mean eating normal food not crunching on a bone. That is why we started going to Chicago because NW has a center specifically for her disease. They have experience in jumping through the hoops that will get her care covered under medical necessity. That is a lot of money to have on the sideline. It's affecting my retirement too because if it doesn't go in her mouth it will almost take care of my remaining mortgage. Anyway, the first thing the gastroenterologist there said was the damage was so severe she would not do an endoscopy without having another doctor in the room and having some dental something or the other done to ensure a broken tooth will not block an airway during the procedure. Then they tested mobility of her esophagus which basically showed that for her food to move normally it needs to be the consistency of baby food which is something she clearly can't do. No doctor in indiana ever thought of running such tests.

Anyway, God does all the deciding anyway. I don't know all the details, but I can understand some of where you are coming from. You are a good man with the best of intentions for your family.

Maybe this story will help, maybe not. Who knows. :)

I recently got this knee replaced and went on disability. My presbyter noticed I brought a nice new thick prayer book to confession. After I made it through confessing to Christ all I could think of so I would be ready to go, my presbyter said the absolution and then started giving me the usual advice. Then he said something pretty smart.

I see you have a nice new thick prayerbook there. Let me give you some advice. Most days, you are probably going to be in pain. All those ideas you have about saying all those prayers and reading all those Bible chapters are going to go up in smoke. You just focus on saying "Lord have mercy" and meaning it. If you do that. Everything else will fall in place.

It was great advice and it has proven to be true several times, but as I have had time to sit here and ponder over it, I have realized you don't have to be in a medical crisis or anything else for it to be true. I am not saying that saying your prayers and reading your bible are not life giving activities, they are. But if all you can do and sometimes all we need to do is say "Lord have mercy". That prayer sums up the entire scripture in a nutshell. Mankind chose to disobey God. God knew that it would happen, but He also had a plan. His plan was to have mercy on all of us. It's simply up to us to accept it. And the best way to start accepting it is to ask for it.

Anyway sorry for the thread jack.
    Prayers for your wife and you. God has a plan, we usually do not know it.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    I just go no anesthesia, local or general for most things.
    Seriously. I went in to the dentist one day about 12 years ago, and he gave me the option to get anesthesia. Said it would save me xx dollars, don't remember the amount. Said if it hurt, he would give me anesthesia.

I was shocked. Never had been offered the option. So I said sure. NOT because I am tough but I didn't want him to think I wasn't.

Anyway, all i felt was pressure. Have gotten several fillings drillings etc and no anesthesia. Now if he is going to pull something then heck yeah I would opt for it, but so far, more often then not he asks me and I say no. If he doesn't ask, I will take the anesthesia :)

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Hendricks County
    Sad but true, many of us that that conversation with ourselves.

Top Bottom