• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I seem to enjoy these more frequently than anyone else I know. It's definitely given me a certain opinion of the entire industry but I figured I'd post my latest example so I can be told that I'm wrong yet again.

Have a ganglion cyst on the top of my right toe. I've had other ganglions and they're not usually that big of a deal but this bad boy likes to get cranky if I wear shoes and gets real cranky if I wear boots and go out hiking around on my buddies farm which I do a few times a month. I've been draining it myself for the past couple of years after paying something like $600 to watch the doctor do it the first time. Takes 60 seconds, doesn't really hurt and hasn't caused any issues as I'm pretty careful when it comes to sterilization and infection prevention. A few months ago it started rapid fire blowing up so I decided to go back to the podiatrist. We discussed it and decided on surgical removal and schedule a pre-op visit which was last week with the surgery schedule for this Wednesday morning.

Friday afternoon around 3:30pm I get a call from the surgery center. Pretty typical pre-op questioning and I mentioned that I have intermittent A fib when she asked. Apparently no one had asked to that point because I have no reason to conceal it and the lady told me I was going to have to get clearance from my cardiologist and and EKG before surgery. I informed her that wasn't happening as I was planning to be out of town yesterday through tomorrow evening. She calls the podiatrist and they called and left me a voicemail later Friday.

They called again this morning and I was told that they had scheduled an appointment for me to get an EKG tomorrow morning. I'm at the farm so I told her that wasn't happening. She said that I would have to schedule the EKG and call them back to reschedule surgery. I told her that was fine and that I'd get around to it when I have time as I've got a lot of irons in the fire at the moment.

45 minutes later she calls back and now they can do the surgery with a local anesthetic rather than general. It was the anesthesiologist who was requiring the clearance and EKG which makes perfect sense to me. What I cannot understand is why on earth I would need general anesthetic for an outpatient, 30 minute surgery on my toe? It was apparently a major issue until they learned that I wasn't going to rearrange my schedule and run around like an idiot jumping through hoops to fit their schedule and was willing to walk away from the procedure for now. All of a sudden we don't need to involve my cardiologist, another visit for an EKG before surgery and I won't be making an anesthesiologist's mortgae payment this month.

Anyone on the inside who can explain this to me so that I don't feel like I narrowly escaped a completely unnecessary, potentially dangerous and ridiculously expensive medical procedure (general anesthetic)?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Sounds like the sleepy time doc needs a new toy?

I cant imagine why anyone would need a general to remove a cyst on an extremity.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I had a local when I stepped on a nail and got a piece of debris in the bottom of my foot. Dr had to make a half inch long incision right on the big tendon in the center of my foot. I didn’t feel a thing once he started cutting and digging around in there, but boy howdy, that anesthesia shot, good god, about sent me through the ceiling! Damn it hurt!

Aside from the intense pain from the shot, the guy coulda sawed my foot off and I wouldn’t have known.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Anyone on the inside who can explain this to me so that I don't feel like I narrowly escaped a completely unnecessary, potentially dangerous and ridiculously expensive medical procedure (general anesthetic)?
    Sure, insurance will pay for it but I suspect the main reason is most people have no pain tolerance anymore. Lots of people today go under to get dental work done…

Lpherr

In a blue bubble
    I had a local when I stepped on a nail and got a piece of debris in the bottom of my foot. Dr had to make a half inch long incision right on the big tendon in the center of my foot. I didn’t feel a thing once he started cutting and digging around in there, but boy howdy, that anesthesia shot, good god, about sent me through the ceiling! Damn it hurt!

Aside from the intense pain from the shot, the guy coulda sawed my foot off and I wouldn’t have known.
    Yes sir! The bottom of the foot is the most sensitive spot to jam a needle into.
    Although, it's a pretty close race to having a needle jammed into the roof of the mouth.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011

The anesthesia blocker is why most people prefer general anesthesia

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Sure, insurance will pay for it but I suspect the main reason is most people have no pain tolerance anymore. Lots of people today go under to get dental work done…
    Not me, I refuse dental shots.

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    Had a shot in my neck for nerve damage 2 years ago. They asked if I wanted partial anesthesia or a local. Never having had this procedure before where they stuck a needle in my neck I asked for anesthesia. An hour prep with V, meds, strap me down and....it took exactly 2 seconds to do the shot. Needless to say the next time it was a local.

Don

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Hendricks County
    I seem to enjoy these more frequently than anyone else I know. It's definitely given me a certain opinion of the entire industry but I figured I'd post my latest example so I can be told that I'm wrong yet again.

Have a ganglion cyst on the top of my right toe. I've had other ganglions and they're not usually that big of a deal but this bad boy likes to get cranky if I wear shoes and gets real cranky if I wear boots and go out hiking around on my buddies farm which I do a few times a month. I've been draining it myself for the past couple of years after paying something like $600 to watch the doctor do it the first time. Takes 60 seconds, doesn't really hurt and hasn't caused any issues as I'm pretty careful when it comes to sterilization and infection prevention. A few months ago it started rapid fire blowing up so I decided to go back to the podiatrist. We discussed it and decided on surgical removal and schedule a pre-op visit which was last week with the surgery schedule for this Wednesday morning.

Friday afternoon around 3:30pm I get a call from the surgery center. Pretty typical pre-op questioning and I mentioned that I have intermittent A fib when she asked. Apparently no one had asked to that point because I have no reason to conceal it and the lady told me I was going to have to get clearance from my cardiologist and and EKG before surgery. I informed her that wasn't happening as I was planning to be out of town yesterday through tomorrow evening. She calls the podiatrist and they called and left me a voicemail later Friday.

They called again this morning and I was told that they had scheduled an appointment for me to get an EKG tomorrow morning. I'm at the farm so I told her that wasn't happening. She said that I would have to schedule the EKG and call them back to reschedule surgery. I told her that was fine and that I'd get around to it when I have time as I've got a lot of irons in the fire at the moment.

45 minutes later she calls back and now they can do the surgery with a local anesthetic rather than general. It was the anesthesiologist who was requiring the clearance and EKG which makes perfect sense to me. What I cannot understand is why on earth I would need general anesthetic for an outpatient, 30 minute surgery on my toe? It was apparently a major issue until they learned that I wasn't going to rearrange my schedule and run around like an idiot jumping through hoops to fit their schedule and was willing to walk away from the procedure for now. All of a sudden we don't need to involve my cardiologist, another visit for an EKG before surgery and I won't be making an anesthesiologist's mortgae payment this month.

Padding the bill

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Insurance doesn't pay for **** until I'm out of pocket $5000/yr.

Insurance is another word which has been redefined in recent years. It used to mean something other than paying monthly premiums and getting little other than claimed discounts for simply having insurance to begin with.

Lpherr

In a blue bubble

Insurance is another word which has been redefined in recent years. It used to mean something other than paying monthly premiums and getting little other than claimed discounts for simply having insurance to begin with.
    You can thank this jackass...

1722291701321.png

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    The whole Covid thing pretty well turned me off to the entire medical profession for several years. I'm just now coming around to the idea that maybe they're not all just out to suck as much money out of us a possible utilizing fear and ignorance as tools. This sure as hell hasn't changed that opinion.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central

Obviously in this day and age of obummercare one must meet their deductible before the insurance pays anything. What pizzs me is my insurance company running ads on TV that my plan can typically be had for $10 a month. :facepalm:

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    The anesthesia blocker is why most people prefer general anesthesia
    When I had my kidney removed back in May, I had general anesthesia and I was fine until the middle of the night. I’ve never been so nauseous in all my life. The last time I had surgery 25 years ago, it was no problem, felt fine when I came to. I had no idea general anesthesia would cause that!

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    When I had my kidney removed back in May, I had general anesthesia and I was fine until the middle of the night. I’ve never been so nauseous in all my life. The last time I had surgery 25 years ago, it was no problem, felt fine when I came to. I had no idea general anesthesia would cause that!
    anesthesia has come a long way in 25 years. One of the biggest changes is you wake up pretty fast and non groggy. There are also anti nauseous medications in the stream. I've been under 3 times. Multiple lipoma removals, colonoscopy, and my recent knee replacement, which was by far the most invasive. The pain 2 to 3 days after until about a week after was worse than anthing I felt the day of surgery minus when you first wake up and they ask the pain level.

Top Bottom